Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2017, 05:15 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Satellite Q & A with Winegard (Dish/DirecTV/OTA)

Dish

1. I assume for Dish, the Wally is the current choice. Hook up options? As it is only a single input receiver. Assume we can just have an HDMI splitter to feed all TV’s.

Wally is the best choice. Each Wally needs 1 feed from T4 to receiver. If feeding multiple TVs, yes an HDMI splitter or distribution system is needed. All TVs will watch same channel (they could also watch OTA/DVD/etc. at alternate locations).

2. Let’s assume they add a 2nd wally. Can we have them stacked, using RF remotes so we ffed one local TV, then the 2nd feeds the HDMI splitter or???

Yes, the Wally includes an RF remote that can be paired to specifically control 1 receiver (and not interfere with the other). Stacking both receivers in a central location is very common.

3. Do we need to feed the 2nd coax from the dish to the rear TV and feed a Wally there wiring direct to the TV. We would still need to get to an outside signal for an outside TV.

This is another option if you didn’t do a central location as described above. Each TV would have a dedicated receiver hard wired (HDMI typically) to it, with a direct coax feed from T4 to each receiver. If wanting to feed an outside TV an HDMI splitter would be needed. One alternative option, but not ideal, is that the Wally has an HDMI output and also composite outputs (Red/White/Yellow, commonly called RCA outputs). Both of those outputs are active, so you could feed HDMI to 1 TV and composite/RCA to another. However the composite/RCA is NOT HD quality and limits to 1 channel.

4. I have another customer who has a dual tuner receiver that has a coax output. I haven’t see one of those in a while. I assume they are not available new? Or are they? Then the 2nd TV can get the coax out and programed like a cable channel???

These are not available new anymore, as DISH uses the Hopper for new customers/installs. The Hopper is not compatible with the T4. But yes, some customers may still have these. They would be the VIP series receivers (622, 722, etc.). They are capable of outputting 2 different signals at once, 1 through HDMI and a 2nd through Coax, which can be set up to be an analog channel on any other connected TV.

5. It says Dish will not work with the Hopper. But it can with other dual tuner DVR options? Is there a current example or model you can give me.

This is in reference to the VIP series receivers mentioned in #4. With a 722/622 VIP receiver for instance, both coax outputs from the T4 would have to run to both inputs on the Dual Tuner DVR. Running the “check switch” can at times be challenging and take a few tries, but once set up properly it will work. It can be VERY confusing on which TUNER is controlling the T4 (which satellite it points at) and which TUNER is the slave. But if only watching a few channels, some customers find it to be a perfectly fine solution.

I need all the same stuff for DirecTV. Assuming the two listed are what people would get. (You gave me current DirecTV receivers that will work). H24 and HR24.

For DTV the answers above would all be the same for #1, #2, and #3. The DTV receiver does not come by default with an RF remote (some used to), but they are capable.

Regarding #4, the HR24 is a dual tuner receiver, however it is designed to only output to 1 TV at time (unlike the DISH dual tuners that can output 2 different signals). So it has the capability to watch 1 channel and record another, however for RV wiring purposes needs to be connected just like a Wally or H24.

One last note on DTV, just like how the T4 is not compatible with the Hopper, it is also not compatible with the Genie or other receivers that only use SWM technology (H25). We do have a kit that can allow them to be compatible (SWM-840), but they are not compatible out of the box.

Lastly…if they have a portable system. They used to be able to connect to our park cable, turn off the antenna booster and use of the carry out models. Is there a specific grade of cable that we need. Is a splitter OK, or does it need to be a specific range. Or not at all?

For all satellite RG6 cabling should be used. The higher quality the cable, the longer the customer will be able to use. Typically we are good up to 50’ from receiver to DISH, but we’ve had some issues with lower quality cabling. Very high quality cabling can go even further.

The other caveat here is that the coax must connect directly from the satellite dish to the receiver, and cannot pass through other devices (splitter or our antenna power supply included). The only thing that can be inline are basic barrel connectors (which we build into plastic wall plates as well) that are direct coax to coax (no PCB or other electronics). Many people do use the park cable ports on the outside of RVs, and that does work well, as long as they disconnect from the back of the antenna power supply wall plate, and connect that to the satellite receiver. This is a very common issue we see in our call center, and even address in all of our portable manuals (see below).

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:57 PM   #2

Brian,

We have a Winnebago with a T4 in motion satellite dish. Here is how it is wired. The T4 Dish has two coax outputs with one going to the bedroom and the other going to the living room. We use two Wally receivers hooked Via hdmi to each tv so both televisions can receive satellite signals and watch different channels as long as the channels are on the same satellite. Dish uses 3 satellites to broadcast their channels. The living room Wally is the primary receiver and determines which satellite on the dish is being watched.

Each tv also has a coax input for cable and OTA reception. Finally, there is a solo direct cable feed from the outside to the living room satellite receiver location so a potable satellite dish can be used when the T4 roof top dish is blocked. When using this outside feed, only the living room receiver can be used.

This wiring system works great for us and could perhaps be copied by others.
hpdrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:52 AM   #3
Commercial Member

My only concern with that set up...is what if you just want to run on receiver? Now you have no HDMI going to all the TV's.

If I run both T4 coax to the front...you can stack them and feed HDMI to all TV's. If I run one coax from front to bedroom, then you could still split if you wanted. It would be more money for the HDMI splitter and cables over what Winnebago does...but their system does limit you.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:07 PM   #4

Just a note, stacking receivers would require two Dishnet subscriptions. With a dual-tuner receiver (722VIP), only one subscription is needed. In my scenario, I would disconnect one of my dual-tuner receivers in the house and move into our future 24RW. No additional Dishnet cost for us. But, I would need a dedicated coax other than the OTA/Park cable from this receiver's secondary tuner coax output to the back bedroom. And of course a RF remote will need to control the bedroom channels & an IR remote would need to control the main/primary TV to ensure control separation.

But, this alone does not solve the issue of moving the bedroom TV outside & watching secondary sat channel unless there was a way to split the dedicated bedroom sat coax and have a dedicated coax cable between the bedroom & outdoor TV.

If there was a single direct coax cable between bedroom & outside TV, an A/B selection switch in the bedroom could choose between which signal is sent to the outside TV, sat or OTA/Park Cable. After all, the TV is gonna get moved to the outside so signal selection can be done at this time.

The limitation of this scenario is that the only TV that will receive a 1080HD signal is the main/primary TV. the others would be of lesser quality but decent enough.

Another, maybe better approach would be to locate the legacy dual-tuner in the bedroom & do all the manual switching/routing between sat, OTA & Park cable in the bedroom area. Dedicated HDMI to each location from front receiver location with split primary HDMI signal. RF remote for primary signal. Secondary coax signal would be IR remote Bedroom would have choice of primary or secondary signal by selecting desired port on TV. If there was a direct dedicated coax cable to the outdoor TV then a switch could select which signal, secondary sat or OTA or park cable is fed to outdoor TV. All incoming signals, OTA, park cable, primary sat & secondary sat feeds would have to terminate in bedroom area. It would also require that a dedicated coax to the main area from the bedroom would be needed to carry the OTA/Park cable signal also selected from the bedroom area.

Seems like the second scenario would require dedicated cables, both HDMI & coax, from the bedroom to all TVs. All switching & routing would be controlled at the main termination point in the bedroom area. It would be wise to locate the OTA antenna in the hallway closer to the bedroom switching area. It would also be wise to locate the T4 sat antenna on a level area near the bedroom switching area.

Cables are cheap compared to HDMI to Cox or coax to HDMI converters that typically require a 5VDC wall wart.

Have not thought it out for other receiver options or other floor plans.
Magnatudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:09 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Yes, but as was listed from the Q&A, the dual tuner is no longer available for purchase new.

This Q&A was to make make sure the wiring is adequate for today and beyond, not necessarily for legacy receivers. In your case, the wiring that I am suggesting would still serve your purposes. A single coax run from the front to the back bedroom (separate from all other coax wiring). This will allow you to connect a dual tuner up front that would feed coax to the back. Or connect that coax directly to the 2nd T4 coax output so that you have a dedicated receiver in the front and the back bedroom. All getting HD. Including the HD off of the front receiver to the outside.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:32 AM   #6

Brian, understood. DishNet may no longer sell new 722 receivers, not that I need one, but they are still available from other merchants all over the web. I am however cognizant that in a few years I may have to move off of these legacy receivers & modernize.
I assume you are trying to establish a standard & future-proofing. My comments were intended to help you out with some thoughts. It appears that coax is here to stay for OTA and Park cable so installing coax is a given.
Are you installing or planning to install HDMI cables in Isata 3s as well? Seems like at a minimum prewiring HDMI cables is going to be necessary in order to get HD signals to all TVs. Leave it to the end user to configure splitters, switches, DVRs, DVDs, etc...
When you have a chance, can you PM me describing exactly how you plan to cable our 24RW. Thanks
Old 11-01-2017, 11:10 AM   #7
Commercial Member

I think the plan on yours was just our normal set up but with a single coax from the front area to the bedroom TV. So with your dual tuner installed, you can feed HDMI to the front TV and coax to the bedroom TV as you mentioned.

We have not found an exterior HDMI connection that we're happy with yet, so at this point it is all just speculation for the outside TV (at least on the 3's and 4's). The big trucks are different already in that they have dedicated TV's. I'd like to get rid of dedicated TV's on the stuff that we need more CCC on. A portable set up seems more logical for as little as they are used. And at that point an HDMI or coax can be run in a pinch from the main box as it is only set up for OTA now. I for one, could not let myself watch in SD if I knew HD was available. But that's just me and I know I have issues.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:26 PM   #8

I agree, it's tough to watch SD with HD available. How about running both coax & HDMI from front area to the bedroom for me. This would allow me to split the primary HDMI to also feed the bedroom TV or switch to a blue ray signal to the bedroom. This would allow for viewing the same signal as on the main TV or switch to secondary SD signal for alternate channels or HDMI2 for blue ray.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:38 AM   #9

We just picked up our Isata 4 and setting all up. We have a Wally from dish now trying to figure how to connect all. Is there a wiring/ connection diagram showing step by step ? Above fridge there are2 bare coax one with red tape and then 2 wires with odd connectors which do not match anything on back of Wally. Do I need a splitter of some sort ?
Also looking for ideas to set up t.v. On souround sound. May be some rookie ?s but our Damon / was 11 years old and much of this is new to us.
Thanks all for the info, jeff
Jeffz95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:09 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Are the odd connectors HDMI??

If you have the wally, plug the red coax into the wally. I think that one is the Primary coax. Then plug an HDMI from there into the Wally output as that goes to the living room TV. The 2nd funny connector I think is to the bedroom TV.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Are the odd connectors HDMI??

If you have the wally, plug the red coax into the wally. I think that one is the Primary coax. Then plug an HDMI from there into the Wally output as that goes to the living room TV. The 2nd funny connector I think is to the bedroom TV.
Thanks for info. I will check it out tonight.

Jeff
Jeffz95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, satellite, winegard