Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2019, 07:27 PM   #21

Personally I would prefer a "universal" mounting plate with a water tight junction box and conduit to the internal of the MH in the "electronics" center. This way I could order the unit with either or change/add at a later time the antenna I prefer. Along with room for a cell/wifi external boost antenna.

I currently have the in notion but that is the way it came (bought new off lot inventory). Previous 5th had the Traveler. I prefer the Traveler but not enough to pull existing and drill into roof.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Randy View Post
With the big dish, there were also times when a thunder storm or big winds would come up at night and I would have to get up to lower it. Otherwise it would rock and thump and ultimately it damaged the drive mechanism once, which fortunately was fixed under warranty.
Oh yeah, I forgot about high winds & thunderstorms. The fixed dish also collects water & dirt when stowed. Dome is easier to clean off.

Need more info on the latest King in-motion technology and whether it supports the new Hopper system or is it still Wally technology.
Magnatudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:47 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Just to clear up any confusion.
The King One IS a domed stationary dish
The Winegard IS a domed in-motion dish.

Then there is yet another upgrade to a Triple LNB which is what many assume when talking about a fixed dish. It cranks up and rotates to find single. that one will do HD for DirecTV. The King ONE will not...but it also has to rotate to get a signal.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Just to clear up any confusion.
The King One IS a domed stationary dish
The Winegard IS a domed in-motion dish.

Then there is yet another upgrade to a Triple LNB which is what many assume when talking about a fixed dish. It cranks up and rotates to find single. that one will do HD for DirecTV. The King ONE will not...but it also has to rotate to get a signal.
I had a triple LNB fixed dish but it was specific to DishNet. If I wanted to switch to DTV I would have to swap out the complete unit because at that time the LNBs & their spacing were completely different from DishNet. The software in the controller could handle either one but you had to interface to a laptop to get to the firmware and choose which system you were using. You mentioned that King has a fixed system that works with either DishNet or DTV without setting dip switches. But with three LNBs that need to be aimed and skewed at 3 satellites at different angles and spacing, how does King accomplish that when even the LNBs for Dish & DTV operate differently? Just asking for a friend.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:28 PM   #25

I just looked up King One. I now believe this is what you are talking about. It is a single LNB domed unit. The only advantage that I see with this unit is that it is dip switch free & slightly cheaper. On a T4, the dip switches are set for DTV by default. So the only folks that need to mess with these dip switches are the DishNet & Bell subscribers. This is done once and forgotten about.

Now if the King Dome One is not an in-motion, then I would venture to question why anyone pursue this for an RV rooftop and give up in-motion. It seems like it is best suited for the traveler or tailgater that wants to save a few bucks, no dip switch worries, and place it on picnic table.

Then again, it may not be cheaper than the ones with dip switches.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:15 PM   #26

When I was on my way to pick up my I5, I had my dealer switch the dips to Dish. About the only thing their service dept got right.

Plugged in my Dish Wally with DVR option immediately and had live Dish and DVR items working on the way out of the dealership.

In motion is a great 'option'.

2015 Solera MBS 24R - Hellwig/Sumo Equipped, Sold
(Sold the Vibe TT, as well)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:28 AM   #27

Never used the in motion or even tried it. Like you I am always driving and the TV is never on in motion. I have also found in over 75% of the parks we have stayed in the trees are blocking the satellite and we have use the on air antenna.

2018 Isata 5 DS
sseaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:52 AM   #28

Save a lot of money and time by using a cellular connected AppleTV showing Dish, DTV, or any other streaming service on the telly.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:58 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Save a lot of money and time by using a cellular connected AppleTV showing Dish, DTV, or any other streaming service on the telly.
I may be wrong, but I think one has to subscribe to Dish or DTV to get access to Dish Anywhere or DTV NOW streaming service. And you need 4Gconnectivity to the Internet or access to a WiFi hotspot with one of the above apps. If you stream via 4G then you may also need to subscribe to additional bandwidth with your provider depending on how much you watch TV. WiFi shared bandwidth may be free at a campground

One-time hardware costs: AppleTV box = $129 or Wally = $60 + Dish Antenna

If you have DishNet at home, for another $7 a month you can turn on a Wally and watch 24/7 for a month. And when you stop traveling you can suspend service to the Wally and save $7 a month.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:14 PM   #30

Have used in-motion maybe twice during the last year. Worked fine but occasionally would go out and then reconfigure with the Satellite. Point being was not a big issue at all. More a big deal to use when visiting our kids in other states. Between Mom and me nothing we use when normally travelling on the driving portion of our trip. TV used at rest stops while having lunch which works well.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:44 AM   #31
Retired Army Paratrooper

I agree with most on here. Don't use it and when camping most of the time no signal available because of trees or clouds. Hotspot and apps for various channels works just fine. I would suggest a cell booster, now that is something that everyone will use
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:24 PM   #32
Viet Nam era Navy veteran

We have in-motion sat & love it

The prev owner, Mr. L. M. installed a in motion sat rec so his boy could watch TV.

He removed a piece of eqpt which I suppose belonged to DTV or Dish Network.

I don't know what I need to resume operations with Sat TV.

BTW, L.M. destroyed the TV ground cable, OTA antenna cable, routing to rear TV, & outside entertainment center antenna or OTA feed.

All that is left is the Sat TV feed which doesn't work.

My son & I restored OTA TV signal to front TV in July. I haven't found a signal booster.

Let's Roll!
Wolf

Trip to MATS next week!
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:19 AM   #33

Cell booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
I agree with most on here. Don't use it and when camping most of the time no signal available because of trees or clouds. Hotspot and apps for various channels works just fine. I would suggest a cell booster, now that is something that everyone will use
What is the best cell booster ?????? thanks
Detroitdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:19 AM   #34

I've never used in motion but we had a Wingate for DirecTV. Gave up both, Wingate didn't work very well in or not at all in northern US and Canada and DirecTV just got too expensive. Use Roku at home and wifi, if any good, at parks.
Oltimer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:30 AM   #35

Best cell booster
Old 03-29-2019, 08:03 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oltimer13 View Post
I've never used in motion but we had a Wingate for DirecTV. Gave up both, Wingate didn't work very well in or not at all in northern US and Canada and DirecTV just got too expensive. Use Roku at home and wifi, if any good, at parks.
We use Roku or HDMI from my laptop to get Acorn, Netflix, Prime, PBS, and others if signal is decent. Can't get Colbert unless I stay up and watch it.
FYI
Bytesponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 01:11 AM   #37

Well that didn't come close to what I asked .....I asked what is the best cell booster.... Meaning cell phone..
Old 03-30-2019, 06:34 AM   #38

Satellite Question - In-Motion

Hi Brian. I can tell you we do not watch TV while going down the road at all. I had the Trav’ler system for HD DirecTV installed by the selling dealer and we only watch TV while parked. It has an A/B switched to use both but we only use the Trav’ler.
shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 06:57 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdeb View Post
Well that didn't come close to what I asked .....I asked what is the best cell booster.... Meaning cell phone..
Weboost 4GX. I'm going with the OTR model that mounts on the mirror but they make several different editions with different antennas. Check on Amazon.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:46 AM   #40

We ordered it as an option, even if you don't use it, a bonus to be there. The disappointment is the ConnecT2 because ATT will NOT let you use their sim card in it. Everyone said yes, but I doubt anyone had it connected. I have talked with ATT at least 5 times and they say no eventually. They will let you connect the Ram WIFI for $10 unlimited use, then I assume you can route that to the Winegard, but haven't tried yet since I haven't had my coach. Yes I may do Netbuddy as we subscribe to streaming services. Though I still want to entertain using Dish HD while driving.
dannko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, satellite