Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2017, 02:46 PM   #1

Short DynaQuest

Brian,
Is there any plan to revive a short Mercedes or Cummins powered DynaQuest similar to a ST264 floor layout. In this day & age with demand for short diesel-powered MHs the only option is a Sprinter 3500 type. We wanted to downsize and would have gone down the ST264 path if we could have found one for sale. Actually, the ST264 was more like 28ft actual length. Maybe something a bit shorter around 26ft actual. Downsizing from a Class A ISL diesel pusher down to a Sprinter 3500 base is one huge sacrifice. It would be nice to have an option to move into something with a bit more GVWR, torque, tires & air brakes.
Magnatudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Not at this time...as I recall the shorter units softened in sales and its hard to get the short wheel base.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:40 AM   #3

I am with you..we had a sprinter..had it to two Mercedes dealerships..was very scary to drive, breaks and wind...an oil change was well over 500.00 and finding someone to work on engine was harder than you think. We had problem in Wyoming and our choice was Omaha or billings.we traded for dynaquest 302st. Love it..we can't take it to the gas station without someone stopping us an admiring it. I don't under stand why dynaquest and others don't make units under 35 feet..there is a market and no competition..I would love to be in on the designing..
quilttours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:57 AM   #4

We were set on the sprinter platform until I found out about all the downsides. During the time we were buying a MH we also were selling back our VW Passat in a settlement with VW (total fuel system failure at 24K miles). In short, I have totally soured on the modern diesel engines with their complicated emissions controls. Our E450 has some disadvantages, but with 3,800 lbs CCC and 7500 towing it gets the job done for a fraction of the cost.
retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:02 AM   #5

Quilttours,
To add, the Isata 3 CCC is ridiculous. Tires and rims are dinky and another limitation. Compensations like Hellwig sway bar, Bilstein shocks, SuperSprings, help but are bandaids. Even the upgraded GVWR in the anticipated new Sprinter chassis is not ideal.
I stand by the resurrection of a Dynaquest 264ST or a 4x4 Cummins Isata 5 that is not more than 28 actual feet long overall with a floor plan similar to an Isata 3 RW with all that external storage space. There is no one else in the short diesel market space. Getting in and out of National Parks & storage in shorter covered spaces is my criteria.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatudes View Post
Brian,
Is there any plan to revive a short Mercedes or Cummins powered DynaQuest similar to a ST264 floor layout. In this day & age with demand for short diesel-powered MHs the only option is a Sprinter 3500 type. We wanted to downsize and would have gone down the ST264 path if we could have found one for sale. Actually, the ST264 was more like 28ft actual length. Maybe something a bit shorter around 26ft actual. Downsizing from a Class A ISL diesel pusher down to a Sprinter 3500 base is one huge sacrifice. It would be nice to have an option to move into something with a bit more GVWR, torque, tires & air brakes.
2X on that
caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by caswelld View Post
2X on that
+1

30 feet max (actual length) or a little less (even better) would be ideal.

This year we've seen more Sprinter RV's than ever before. Tiffin, Winnebago, Thor, etc....It seems that more people are getting on board with these types of shorter RV's.

However, we've got an '09, 25'-2" Sprinter based RV and although we love it for a lot of things, storage isn't one of them. Power (lack of on mountains) is another. Having to go to Mercedes Service is another...$$$$$. Although I change my own oil, filter, fuel filter and now do EGR valve cleaning on every oil change as a preventative maintenance.

If I had my wish list, it'd be a 30' RV with a queen bed (no larger), plenty of "clever" storage...basically, well thought out storage wherever you can cram it : pull out pantry's, under the bed, pull out storage under the dinette seats, by the entry door for routine in & out stuff, exterior storage bays under/beside slides, etc....you can never have too much storage.

And, more interior options !!! We're not all the same and we all have different needs/wants. We drive down from Canada in the dead of winter and an option for a power vented catalytic heater or power vented gas fireplace would be awesome !!!

We were speaking with our new camping neighbors and the general feeling is that RV manufacturers will probably (hopefully?) be coming out with new lines of well designed, ultra modern, short(er), greener (lighter, better materials).
chaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:11 PM   #8

Magnatudes- I agree and love everything about this unit except the large overhead bed. If they could offer that rig without that overhead, I would be the first to buy. That overhead takes the mileage down in some cases 5-6 mpg...and the wind turbulence that gets caught in there...we will always be just the two of us. the rv makes get confused when presenting their units, one minute they are small and the next big, but both times they think many people will be sleeping in the unit. I know there are a lot of people like us, just the two of us, maybe for extended times. I want storage, not beds and I want good mileage...the boomers are not families...I challenge the companies to make a boomer unit!!!
Old 03-22-2018, 12:37 PM   #9

Quilttours, I agree, we need a "BOOMER UNIT"! Future DQ254 ST!

2012 Dynaquest ST Brochure
Old 03-22-2018, 12:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatudes View Post
Quilttours, I agree, we need a "BOOMER UNIT"! Future DQ254 ST!

2012 Dynaquest ST Brochure
I love that !!!
Old 03-22-2018, 01:30 PM   #11

maybe if we get enough people posting they will honestly take a look at what is out there for what I seem to be hearing a lot of people asking...I don't want a second bathroom, I don't want a second bed hanging over my head, I want a rig that I can boon dock at rest stops (so it has to work without putting out slides) I want better mileage - bring back the rounded edges like dynaquest pre 2015, think about storage both inside and outside (need one under compartment that goes from one side to the other). Build it for two people..breakfast table now can't really hold two grown people on one side and the table won't allow two plates across. Make this for two..use single seats that can turn. this way they will be part of conversation if you have a sofa on the other side. Make the sofa a generous two seater. Do we really need 4 or 5 tvs in a space smaller than my current livingroom? And a big enough shower that a woman can shave her legs? (maybe tmi) then how about a laundry basket? where to put dirty laundry? these are just some of the basic...but I forgot, the smaller newer units, as I look at them, only have 50 gallons fuel..I love my 100 gallon tank, we only need to stop once a day to keep up with our travels, my smaller unit had 24 and we had to stop every 2 hours...need 100 gallons so you can travel a few hundred miles and still have plenty to use in generator without having to hunt down diesel that doesn't have biofuel... just a few of my wants...other things are more in the placing of the windows - never behind my head in the bedroom- and the one they all do is at the wardrobe where there is going to be a tv? just another thing to leak someday...then the tile on the floor worried me...first we put rugs down as they are cold as ice in the mornings...but all body frames flex, isn't that expecting a lot? then we have added wifi boost, cell booster, antennas, electric wire feeds, water spools, and the older dynaquest just didn't think about draining the tanks as they don't have enough fall...then sliding doors vs swinging doors... really a no brainer...maybe running the tanks down the middle of the rig leaving the outer part of the rig for more storage, like in the bedroom wardrobe area and sink...have to have the instant heat for the water so as not to use waiting for water to heat up...yes I can go on and on...please contact me dynaquest!
Old 03-22-2018, 09:06 PM   #12

Quilttours, yes! We need an Isata 6 design that goes back to a lot of the smart thinking that went into Dynaquests, with less frills, but more function.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by quilttours View Post
...then the tile on the floor worried me...first we put rugs down as they are cold as ice in the mornings...but all body frames flex, isn't that expecting a lot? then we have added wifi boost, cell booster, antennas, electric wire feeds, water spools...please contact me dynaquest!
There isn't a single thing I disagree with in that post....I'm going to especially point out the tile floor !!! I can't believe that we're seeing this trend in RV's. Heavy, cold...did I mention heavy ?...they will loosen/crack/break...eventually. Nothing wrong with linoleum. Warm, easy to maintain. Beautiful actually.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaching View Post
There isn't a single thing I disagree with in that post....I'm going to especially point out the tile floor !!! I can't believe that we're seeing this trend in RV's. Heavy, cold...did I mention heavy ?...they will loosen/crack/break...eventually. Nothing wrong with linoleum. Warm, easy to maintain. Beautiful actually.
I had tile in my Country Coach but it also had floor heating under it. I did crack one tile when the coach twisted going down trails to the shoreline at Lake Powell but the grout held up without problem. Floor tile adds weight and with dogs you have to spread out rugs so they don't slide around and can't get a grip. Some of today's floor coverings are much smarter than tile.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:04 AM   #15

We love our DX3 RB. DW loves the addition of the washer & dryer, dreads the thought of having to sit in a laundromat and gets all of the motorhome laundry (sheets, towels, etc.) cleaned before we get home.
We don’t boondock much but haven’t had a big issue with getting a place to park in National and state parks.
Years back I looked at the 32’ Dynaquest..didn’t want to have to set up a table every time we wanted to eat. Decided that 34’ would be minimum as it has a booth dinette set.
Then the DX3 came out....problem solved at a lower price.
dlfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaching View Post
I love that !!!

X3

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by quilttours View Post
maybe if we get enough people posting they will honestly take a look at what is out there for what I seem to be hearing a lot of people asking...I don't want a second bathroom, I don't want a second bed hanging over my head, I want a rig that I can boon dock at rest stops (so it has to work without putting out slides) I want better mileage - bring back the rounded edges like dynaquest pre 2015, think about storage both inside and outside (need one under compartment that goes from one side to the other). Build it for two people..breakfast table now can't really hold two grown people on one side and the table won't allow two plates across. Make this for two..use single seats that can turn. this way they will be part of conversation if you have a sofa on the other side. Make the sofa a generous two seater. Do we really need 4 or 5 tvs in a space smaller than my current livingroom? And a big enough shower that a woman can shave her legs? (maybe tmi) then how about a laundry basket? where to put dirty laundry? these are just some of the basic...but I forgot, the smaller newer units, as I look at them, only have 50 gallons fuel..I love my 100 gallon tank, we only need to stop once a day to keep up with our travels, my smaller unit had 24 and we had to stop every 2 hours...need 100 gallons so you can travel a few hundred miles and still have plenty to use in generator without having to hunt down diesel that doesn't have biofuel... just a few of my wants...other things are more in the placing of the windows - never behind my head in the bedroom- and the one they all do is at the wardrobe where there is going to be a tv? just another thing to leak someday...then the tile on the floor worried me...first we put rugs down as they are cold as ice in the mornings...but all body frames flex, isn't that expecting a lot? then we have added wifi boost, cell booster, antennas, electric wire feeds, water spools, and the older dynaquest just didn't think about draining the tanks as they don't have enough fall...then sliding doors vs swinging doors... really a no brainer...maybe running the tanks down the middle of the rig leaving the outer part of the rig for more storage, like in the bedroom wardrobe area and sink...have to have the instant heat for the water so as not to use waiting for water to heat up...yes I can go on and on...please contact me dynaquest!
This is the main reason for our 2006 320 ST "restoration project". I am slowly working through the issues caused by "Father Time" and neglect/misuse from previous owners. Also doing a little customization too.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:43 PM   #18

First, I’m going to preface by saying we went with the Isata 5 30FW. We wanted to pull a trailer, and at times be able to go to national parks. Our main requirements were a short diesel RV and good ground clearance for camping at motocross tracks where often it’s not the fancy paved flat lots of RV parks or campgrounds. The 4x4 feature and the high end trim level set Dynamax apart. The fact that In my opinion the next most comparable RV was over 2x the cost and yet still had many of the same options says a lot for Dynamax.

We very nearly signed on the dotted line for the Newmar MountainAire. It’s a short diesel pusher with all the amenities of the luxury big boys. It was how it drove that got me. I’ve NEVER driven an RV. Yes, horse trailers and towing. But not an RV. First time driving one was the Newmar and it was so easy. 360 camera view (full time), steering you could do donuts in parking lot with, and no problems with hills, rough roads or wind. For a short class A, that was the best you could do. But it’s going to cost a wee bit more, it’s well over 2x the price of an Isata 5. I’m not sure I would have let DH in the Newmar coach with muddy motocross gear. It was really tailored to for a couple and RV park lifestyle. Not good for kids or DHs with off road tendencies.
Adrenalista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:43 AM   #19

It still pains me to come inside our DX3 after I’ve been wheeling all day. Straight to the shower usually