Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2019, 01:29 PM   #401

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/tow-...l#post44609730

Thread over at pirate 4x4
V6TOY4X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:36 PM   #402
Commercial Member

Cool to see how things go in different directions. Not sure how much CCC a guy can load up...the one guy calculated full water, fully loaded, all gear and EVERYTHING and complained because he only had 1000 lbs left which is just barely (well exactly) the weight needed to tow the MAX weight trailer...LOL. So you are FULLY loaded with everything filled and are towing the MAX trailer weight of 10k....and you're right at your rated weights....not over? ummmm, what's the problem?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:54 PM   #403

Yup I thought the exact same thing Brian he perfectly explained how perfect it is for towing lol.
SteelStef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:28 PM   #404
Commercial Member

Oh and he was worried about the dog...but he said a filled cooler. This one also had the outside kitchen, so no need for a cooler, or the weight of ice. Just put stuff in the cooler and now you have room for the dog. win-win. Or drop the outside kitchen and bring the cooler, get a smaller dog.

Old 09-19-2019, 07:07 PM   #405

Has anyone here ever tried towing 10,000 lbs up a grade with an 6.7L ISB with a nearly maxed out CCC? It'll pull it but with how much strain on the engine, drivetrain & brakes! Just because the chassis is rated for whatever does not mean you should push it to the limits. Keep in mind, the 350+HP is an ECU programming change to the same ole engine feeding it more fuel and experiencing higher EGTs.
Magnatudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:52 PM   #406

That 5500 chassis with the 6.7 can handle that much weight no problem. The 5500 cab and chassis is rated at over 40,000 GCVW and there are guys using these trucks as Hot Shots hauling that kind of weight on a daily basis. An I5 maxed out and towing a 10,000 pound trailer is more than 10,000 pounds under the trucks limit.
The 6.7 in a cab and chassis is actually detuned, in a pickup the 6.7 makes 400 hp and 1000 torque.
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:01 PM   #407
Commercial Member

ooooooooohhhhh. I just walked the display at the dealer expo. The 28SS turned out better than I had hoped.

Great exterior storage...my bike even matches the paint.
Inside the kitchen is phenominal for a small unit.
Storage galore...3 drawers in the range base, nice big under sink cabinet, spot for a trash can, great bathroom, GREAT pantry, his/her wardrobes with another big cabinet for flex use, some real cool features to solve a lot of the complaints/suggestions etc. We tried to throw the kitchen since at this one (no pun intended)...or maybe it is).

Annnnnddddddddd. After all the complaining and non-complaining about mattresses. Too firm, not firm enough, too soft, not soft enough, I wouldn't let my dog sleep on this, my wife wants to replace our home mattress with this... I think I found the solution.

Tune in Wednesday for the live walk through. As I mentioned it will be 8:30-ish. Tuesday we will cover all the changes to the Isata 3.

The video will remain on Facebook and if we can, we will download and post on Youtube.

Excited to walk this one...lots to talk about.

Old 09-20-2019, 02:07 PM   #408
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatudes View Post
Has anyone here ever tried towing 10,000 lbs up a grade with an 6.7L ISB with a nearly maxed out CCC? It'll pull it but with how much strain on the engine, drivetrain & brakes! Just because the chassis is rated for whatever does not mean you should push it to the limits. Keep in mind, the 350+HP is an ECU programming change to the same ole engine feeding it more fuel and experiencing higher EGTs.
Actually the SAME exact ISB is in the S2RV chassis that is on the Seneca, and Renegade...I'd be more worried about them with a 12k tow hitch.

The ISB we run on the ram is only rated at 325hp and 750 ft lbs. So if anything it has been programmed DOWN and can obviously do more if it needed to. The S2RV (same engine) is showing 360hp and 800 ft lbs of torque on a 29k GVWR, 12k hitch and a 41k GCWR.

Isata 5 is 19.5k GVWR, 37,500 GCWR.....if ANYTHING we're selling this chassis short. Underpromising, over-delivering

Old 09-20-2019, 02:59 PM   #409

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
ooooooooohhhhh. I just walked the display at the dealer expo. The 28SS turned out better than I had hoped.

Great exterior storage...my bike even matches the paint.
Inside the kitchen is phenominal for a small unit.
Storage galore...3 drawers in the range base, nice big under sink cabinet, spot for a trash can, great bathroom, GREAT pantry, his/her wardrobes with another big cabinet for flex use, some real cool features to solve a lot of the complaints/suggestions etc. We tried to throw the kitchen since at this one (no pun intended)...or maybe it is).

Annnnnddddddddd. After all the complaining and non-complaining about mattresses. Too firm, not firm enough, too soft, not soft enough, I wouldn't let my dog sleep on this, my wife wants to replace our home mattress with this... I think I found the solution.

Tune in Wednesday for the live walk through. As I mentioned it will be 8:30-ish. Tuesday we will cover all the changes to the Isata 3.

The video will remain on Facebook and if we can, we will download and post on Youtube.

Excited to walk this one...lots to talk about.
Man!!!! Can not wait to see this walkthrough!!!

Brian random question. Is there a way or will there ever be a way to get the Ram platform with the upgraded dash and large screen? Or is that just par of the limited pkg that Ram offers to their pickup line?
Jeep_Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:12 PM   #410
Commercial Member

That's a question for Ram. I assume at some point down the road it will be. They typically don't offer the same things on the cutaway...AKA the Laramie package.

Old 09-20-2019, 04:12 PM   #411

Quote:
Actually the SAME exact ISB is in the S2RV chassis that is on the Seneca, and Renegade...I'd be more worried about them with a 12k tow hitch.

The ISB we run on the ram is only rated at 325hp and 750 ft lbs. So if anything it has been programmed DOWN and can obviously do more if it needed to. The S2RV (same engine) is showing 360hp and 800 ft lbs of torque on a 29k GVWR, 12k hitch and a 41k GCWR.

Isata 5 is 19.5k GVWR, 37,500 GCWR.....if ANYTHING we're selling this chassis short. Underpromising, over-delivering
Ratings are just that. Reality is in the technology employed in the engine & tranny that determines the performance, durability, & longevity.

If I was aiming to tow a 10,000lb car carrier or boat with a Cummins 6.7L MH of any sort, I would only consider the new H.O 1000ftlb rated version which is constructed totally different than all previous versions.

For the viewers that understand diesel engine technology, this all-new 6.7L is built with a lighter but stronger compacted graphite iron block w/ a deep girdle, stronger alloy crankshaft with a 10-bolt crank flange secured inside the deep girdle block via four-bolt mains, lower compression cast aluminum pistons w/ larger diameter wrist pins, forged-steel connecting rods, revised cylinder head with larger head bolts (6 per cylinder), upgraded exhaust valves to handle the EGT, self-adjusting hydraulic roller lifters w/ non-adjustable rocker arms, stiffer valve springs, higher volume aluminum oil pump and water pump, a new higher pressure Bosch fuel pump & common rail & injectors, and a larger variable geometry Holset turbocharger (33psi boost) w/ a forged-milled compressor wheel (heavier duty bearings & taller vanes).

Basically, this "new" 6.7L is not the same technology as all previous versions of a Cummins 6.7L.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:11 PM   #412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatudes View Post
Ratings are just that. Reality is in the technology employed in the engine & tranny that determines the performance, durability, & longevity.

If I was aiming to tow a 10,000lb car carrier or boat with a Cummins 6.7L MH of any sort, I would only consider the new H.O 1000ftlb rated version which is constructed totally different than all previous versions.

For the viewers that understand diesel engine technology, this all-new 6.7L is built with a lighter but stronger compacted graphite iron block w/ a deep girdle, stronger alloy crankshaft with a 10-bolt crank flange secured inside the deep girdle block via four-bolt mains, lower compression cast aluminum pistons w/ larger diameter wrist pins, forged-steel connecting rods, revised cylinder head with larger head bolts (6 per cylinder), upgraded exhaust valves to handle the EGT, self-adjusting hydraulic roller lifters w/ non-adjustable rocker arms, stiffer valve springs, higher volume aluminum oil pump and water pump, a new higher pressure Bosch fuel pump & common rail & injectors, and a larger variable geometry Holset turbocharger (33psi boost) w/ a forged-milled compressor wheel (heavier duty bearings & taller vanes).

Basically, this "new" 6.7L is not the same technology as all previous versions of a Cummins 6.7L.
The new engine is not yet available in the 4500 and 5500. Not sure they will be for 2020 either. The reason the High output versions of the diesels have not been available in the past for 4500 and 5500 units from what I've been told is because of how they are generally operated. Driven hard and put away wet per say. The consumer trucks don't have to deal with the same duty cycle. The worst they are ever subjected to is a long pull up an incline. Cooling is the main issue for consumer units. (2500,3500) Not dust, mud, ice and drivers that could care less for the well being of a vehicle. 4500 and 5500 trucks in the oil field put up with very crazy stuff you would shake your head at. When a truck is "off road" they will use them to tow things that semi tractors have to pull once they hit the black top.

I would suspect even if Ram decides to move the new CGI block engine into the 5500 it will be seriously detuned. Workers with 1000 foot lbs of torque at their disposal in the patch will explode axles and prop shafts like they are match sticks.
Expect a CGI block cummins 6.7L with around 350HP and 850 lb/ft if I had a crystal ball, but I would not be surprised if they wait till 2021 to debut that new engine in the 4500 and 5500 once they have a year or so of consumer use under their belt.

I've learned to trust the wisdom of the manufacturer when they don't put the big torque versions of engines into HD work trucks... just don't tell them I said that.
SteelStef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:04 PM   #413

Sorry if I missed this somewhere in this great post. But what is the finial--- bumper to bumper length of the 28SS? Or is that a secret at this point?
thanks!
frenslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:46 AM   #414

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelStef View Post
The new engine is not yet available in the 4500 and 5500. Not sure they will be for 2020 either. The reason the High output versions of the diesels have not been available in the past for 4500 and 5500 units from what I've been told is because of how they are generally operated. Driven hard and put away wet per say. The consumer trucks don't have to deal with the same duty cycle. The worst they are ever subjected to is a long pull up an incline. Cooling is the main issue for consumer units. (2500,3500) Not dust, mud, ice and drivers that could care less for the well being of a vehicle. 4500 and 5500 trucks in the oil field put up with very crazy stuff you would shake your head at. When a truck is "off road" they will use them to tow things that semi tractors have to pull once they hit the black top.

I would suspect even if Ram decides to move the new CGI block engine into the 5500 it will be seriously detuned. Workers with 1000 foot lbs of torque at their disposal in the patch will explode axles and prop shafts like they are match sticks.
Expect a CGI block cummins 6.7L with around 350HP and 850 lb/ft if I had a crystal ball, but I would not be surprised if they wait till 2021 to debut that new engine in the 4500 and 5500 once they have a year or so of consumer use under their belt.

I've learned to trust the wisdom of the manufacturer when they don't put the big torque versions of engines into HD work trucks... just don't tell them I said that.
x2. I'm comfortable with a detuned version of this new 6.7L in a heavy maxed out MH. Less chance of a cracked block, burnt exhaust valves, main bolt thru an oil pan, or blown head gasket because I got frustrated with the slow progress up a hill.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:36 AM   #415
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenslow View Post
Sorry if I missed this somewhere in this great post. But what is the finial--- bumper to bumper length of the 28SS? Or is that a secret at this point?
thanks!
30'8" tip to tip

Old 09-22-2019, 12:14 AM   #416

Quote:
That's a question for Ram. I assume at some point down the road it will be. They typically don't offer the same things on the cutaway...AKA the Laramie package.
Looking at the Ram truck website it shows that the upgraded dash with 8.4 and 12 inch screens seem to be options even on the tradesman trim all the way up to the limited. Just was curious if they could be ordered that way for the Isata builds. Also found this article

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2019/02/new-and-stronger-2019-ram-chassis-cabs-go-upscale.html
Jeep_Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:20 AM   #417

Cummins 6.7L Info
Old 09-23-2019, 08:58 AM   #418
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_Life View Post
Looking at the Ram truck website it shows that the upgraded dash with 8.4 and 12 inch screens seem to be options even on the tradesman trim all the way up to the limited. Just was curious if they could be ordered that way for the Isata builds. Also found this article

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2019/0...o-upscale.html
1. no, you cannot order them the way you want. We order them all the same
2. The 12" screen was for sure not an option on the 2019 chassis. That might change on the 2020 chassis, but I am not open to order until October. They don't have pricing yet. And even then....I need to weigh the costs versus demand. The Laramie package I think adds about $9,000. So while some want it...it keeps pushing that price higher and higher and the Isata 5 was about a lower price option in the Super C segment.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:40 AM   #419

Quote:
1. no, you cannot order them the way you want. We order them all the same
2. The 12" screen was for sure not an option on the 2019 chassis. That might change on the 2020 chassis, but I am not open to order until October. They don't have pricing yet. And even then....I need to weigh the costs versus demand. The Laramie package I think adds about $9,000. So while some want it...it keeps pushing that price higher and higher and the Isata 5 was about a lower price option in the Super C segment.
With all of the upcoming RAM cab chassis improvements, it may be wise for Dynamax to reconsider and provide more options. Let the buyer choose. Afterall, the cost is amortized over the loan period and the resale could be improved. Order them on a quarterly basis and if there is a longer lead time/waiting period, let the customer know in advance on what to expect. And if it's at a premium price, the customer can decide on whether or not.

HD 6.7L w/ 8 speed or not
12" screen or not
Laramie or not
4x4 or not
Airbags or not

Many moons ago when I purchased a Cobra MH, I specified the options I wanted on the chassis thru a Ford dealer, had the Cobra folks review the order prior to final purchase, and had it drop shipped to the MH manufacturer.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:33 AM   #420

I have the 12” screen in my new Rebel. They have a lot of issues, getting it replaced next week again. I would wait until they get the kinks worked out

Tags
bed