Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2019, 03:04 PM   #1
Travel Adventurer

Shower Leak at Bottom Against Wall

Leak at bottom left of shower. Water accumulates on ledge and leaks out through gap between metal and wall. Accentuated with slight forward tilt of RV at current location perhaps, as never noticed before. Other side of shower does not appear to have that gap - metal is flush. Is this proper install? Short term solution appears to be caulk. Silicone I assume. Also note that bigger gap between wall and shower pan on left vs right. Seems off as well and not sure if that additional gap is contributing to leak. other than caulk or reinstall, anything else to be done?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0014.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	214883   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0013.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	214884  
The Former Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:59 AM   #2

Unlike a stick house the install location is not always level and the shower pans are not always square so you may have a aeration between one side to the other. Myself I would make sure the area is dry and clean and then seal it with a good quality sealant for bath area I don't like using silicone
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:28 AM   #3

Agreed clean and seal clear silicone.
But be careful sealant claims by Manufacture want it on outside only. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6494.JPG
Views:	385
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	214940
john5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:28 AM   #4
Commercial Member

You definitely want to seal that area.

I know the door guys say not to caulk the inside of the door....but that is to let water from the door drain back into the pan. However...the BOTTOM pan has a 1.5" lip all the way around (with a caveat) and that walls sit over that lip. HOWEVER, at the outside edges...and I am not sure why they do this...the pan lip is "notched" or cut at a 45 degree angle. This supposedly allows the door to properly install and not "bunch" up the pan. What I find is that water can sit on the ledge and where the bottom of the 45 angle is...there is no upright lip, only a flat ledge. If it is going to leak...that's where.

Let me see if I can find that old post. I took a picture while it was apart and is much clearer.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:36 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Hooray! I found it. I'll see if I can create a tag so I can find it easier next time.
"Shower Surround" "Shower Pan" "Shower Leak"
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...b-42883-2.html

You can see how those pans tie together.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:36 AM   #6

DAP tub and tile caulk. Comes in white and almond.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:42 PM   #7
NXR

Sooo, I have a new Georgetown and it, too, developed a water leak underneath the shower. I put a note on the Georgetown forums to let others know: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...er-192717.html

Multiple people responded that they had the same problem, a leaking HepvO valve. The HepvO is a "waterless trap" and it replaces the normal P-trap (the u-shaped piping). It has a membrane it in that acts as a one-way valve to allow water to drain from the shower and to keep sewer gases from coming back into the shower drain.

One person responded that FR apparently did a redesign of the drain to permanently fix the cracking problem. It is possible that other models also use a HepvO valve and have the same issue. If I were you I'd look under the shower as close as possible and see how that thing looks.

The posts I linked to have some good pictures.

FWIW,

RAy
Old 09-16-2019, 04:05 PM   #8

Common problem with most brands of RVs. As others have said, seal it up.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:00 AM   #9

I had a similar small leak driving me crazy trying to find source. Finally discovered that a screw under the door holding the door track to the pan was broken. New screw and a cheap door weather seal from Lowes attached to the bottom of the door. No more leak.
RStormC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:06 PM   #10
Señor Miembro

Factory shower water proofing

BC, can you tell us how these shower enclosures are water proofed at the factory? Is it just a rubber pan liner or are the walls water proofed too? Are there wall sealing gaskets behind the wall panels where the valve and head pipe penetrate?

I've had an ongoing leak (one of many) since day one. I recently paid a guy to caulk all the seams on the inside, with almond colored silicone caulk. We tested it and let the shower head run for a bit but it still leaked. He came back this week and did more caulking and sealing but when I just tested it today, it still leaks!

It's getting really frustrating not being able to repair the water leak that shouldn't have even happened in the first place.

If I send the rig in for a warranty repair, will they just pull the whole shower apart and redo it all correctly? Is there something else I can try besides caulking everything? Maybe I should just flex seal spray the whole inside?

Thanks for any info/advice
Rancher Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:17 AM   #11
Dynamax Isata 5 FW

I had the same thing happen on my 2019 30 Fw. What I found after sealing both sides of the door frame is that my leaks were coming from where the frame joints meet. Sealing on the inside of the frame at all joints stoped the leaks.
Old 10-04-2020, 11:05 PM   #12

Thats what i thought my problem was until i found the abs broken coupling to the hepvo valve for the shower drain!!!!
wanderer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:38 AM   #13
Commercial Member

How they are sealed depends on the shower. I linked in my post to how the pans tie together to the surround.

As others have mentioned...if there is still a leak, well, it could be a cracked fitting. I know for a while we got some that if you tightened it too much it would crack, not enough and it would leak. The margin of error was far too small, so we changed fitting suppliers and it seemed to go away.

Tags
leak, show, shower