Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2017, 06:40 PM   #41

I've posted twice before that I used the OPT switch on the dash to turn the side cameras off and on. Funny how it keeps coming up on different threads. Just cut the feed wires coming from the turn signals to the camera controller above the bunk right before the controller. Then splice in and route wiring down to the OPT switch and back up. You're done. You can now turn the side camera off on demand. They've come in handy once for me when parking along a curb.
shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:17 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by shultz01 View Post
I've posted twice before that I used the OPT switch on the dash to turn the side cameras off and on. Funny how it keeps coming up on different threads. Just cut the feed wires coming from the turn signals to the camera controller above the bunk right before the controller. Then splice in and route wiring down to the OPT switch and back up. You're done. You can now turn the side camera off on demand. They've come in handy once for me when parking along a curb.

I like to read your other post before I pull the dashboard to start looking for things.
Does the OPT switch have 4 terminals; 2 for on and 2 for off so that each side camera is independent or do I need to buy a two pole two position switch?
dlfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:10 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfishing View Post
I like to read your other post before I pull the dashboard to start looking for things.
Does the OPT switch have 4 terminals; 2 for on and 2 for off so that each side camera is independent or do I need to buy a two pole two position switch?
The OPT switch is an On/Off switch. You can connect both side cameras to it. However, they are either both on or both off. I suppose you could wire it so that when one is on the other is off if that's what you desire. If you want to control them independently then you'd need two switches or a special switch.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:19 AM   #44

Quote:
The OPT switch is an On/Off switch. You can connect both side cameras to it. However, they are either both on or both off. I suppose you could wire it so that when one is on the other is off if that's what you desire. If you want to control them independently then you'd need two switches or a special switch.

Ok, thanks
Old 12-14-2017, 09:42 AM   #45

Who needs side cameras when you have Mirrors?
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:47 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
Who needs side cameras when you have Mirrors?

I’ve used them, intentionally, a few times when I want to see where I’m backing up. Turn on the turn signal for the side I’m concerned with
Old 12-15-2017, 12:23 AM   #47

I hate to sound ignorant but why wouldn't anyone want a side view dash cam? It appears no one does. What am I missing?. I look at it when I need it, ignore it when I don't.

2013 Keystone Raptor TH
2013 Ford F350 Dually TV
Rokslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:47 AM   #48

Sometimes going around a sharp corner I would rather see how my tow vehicle is tracking rather than have my side view camera on. Of course in those cases I can turn off my blinker but that technically may also be illegal.
DQskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:41 AM   #49

I would love those on mine. Can’t wait to get them.
Jeff6146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:51 AM   #50

My two cents:

Why would you want to have your head turned to the right to view a 6" monitor when turning left when you have that big gorgeous mirror hanging off the door?

I'm CDL trained to use the mirrors (and often!) and can't see trusting or using the monitor over mirrors. I leave the camera on rear view so that I can confirm what I see in the mirrors...whether I've safely passed a vehicle to change lanes and keep an eye on the toad. I don't want to lose this ability when my turn signal is on or not use my turn signal to do so. IMHO the side view mirrors (all four of them) give a better view down the side than the cameras.

In my case I didn't eliminate them because they can be nice to have--like when parking along a curb.

Okay, maybe that was three cents.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:01 AM   #51

rkweber, here is a picture of the steering column with the copper fitting with the black coupling. From the black coupling are to male fittings one with a black wire the other with a white. Disconnect these wires and reconnect together. This will keep the review camera from losing signal when shifting into a forward gear. Now from the Sony unit you can switch between GPS, review camera and the radio etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171214_125253517_HDR.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	423.4 KB
ID:	158386  
DQskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:08 PM   #52

Quote:
My two cents:

Why would you want to have your head turned to the right to view a 6" monitor when turning left when you have that big gorgeous mirror hanging off the door?

I'm CDL trained to use the mirrors (and often!) and can't see trusting or using the monitor over mirrors. I leave the camera on rear view so that I can confirm what I see in the mirrors...whether I've safely passed a vehicle to change lanes and keep an eye on the toad. I don't want to lose this ability when my turn signal is on or not use my turn signal to do so. IMHO the side view mirrors (all four of them) give a better view down the side than the cameras.

In my case I didn't eliminate them because they can be nice to have--like when parking along a curb.

My monitor is where the rear view mirror would ordinarily be. So no head turning for me. It is quite convenient and often helpful.

2013 Keystone Raptor TH
2013 Ford F350 Dually TV
Old 12-15-2017, 01:21 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokslinger View Post
I hate to sound ignorant but why wouldn't anyone want a side view dash cam? It appears no one does. What am I missing?. I look at it when I need it, ignore it when I don't.

We’re not talking about dash cams but rather cameras mounted on either side of the motorhome that come on and displays the side when you turn the blinker to that side. It blocks out the GPS screen so if unsure about a turn you can’t see the turn. It can be aggravating.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:51 PM   #54

Quote:
Ok, thanks

It seems that if both turn signals and both cameras are wired to the same terminals then when you turn either turn signal on both cameras would come on and since it fills up the screen they would overlay each other.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:01 PM   #55

Quote:
We’re not talking about dash cams but rather cameras mounted on either side of the motorhome that come on and displays the side when you turn the blinker to that side. It blocks out the GPS screen so if unsure about a turn you can’t see the turn. It can be aggravating.

Thanks, OK, I get it. I have a GPs in the dash, a separate rear view and side cam on the windshield that is independent of anything else and a separate dash cam, TPMS monitor on the top of the dash console, all indepenndent of one another, so no overlay or interference.

2013 Keystone Raptor TH
2013 Ford F350 Dually TV
Old 12-15-2017, 10:03 PM   #56

Quote:
My two cents:

I agree to all of that. Also, when I want to use one to check beside me prior to changing lanes (especially on the passenger side) I don't want my turn signal on just yet. Then when I'm ready to signal I want the picture there "now". Right now I briefly get a picture then it goes dark while the info center picks it up again with the reverse ranging stadia lines. It then takes time for me to reacquire the picture and comprehend what I'm seeing. All of that happens while I'm trying to keep track of traffic. It's an idea that sounds great but the implementation is poor.

I'm trying to decide if I want to add two SPDT Center Off switches to my dash to enable "Manual/Off/Automatic" operation to each camera or just disable them both.
xgarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:22 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgarys View Post
I agree to all of that. Also, when I want to use one to check beside me prior to changing lanes (especially on the passenger side) I don't want my turn signal on just yet. Then when I'm ready to signal I want the picture there "now". Right now I briefly get a picture then it goes dark while the info center picks it up again with the reverse ranging stadia lines. It then takes time for me to reacquire the picture and comprehend what I'm seeing. All of that happens while I'm trying to keep track of traffic. It's an idea that sounds great but the implementation is poor.

I'm trying to decide if I want to add two SPDT Center Off switches to my dash to enable "Manual/Off/Automatic" operation to each camera or just disable them both.

I believe I need to exchange a DPST switch for the existing switch.
Guess I’d have to check with Freightliner to get the same brand. Don’t want to cut new hole.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:52 PM   #58

Please post if you're able to find one.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:00 AM   #59

Quote:
I believe I need to exchange a DPST switch for the existing switch.
Guess I’d have to check with Freightliner to get the same brand. Don’t want to cut new hole.
Why not just get 2 small, inexpensive relays at the auto parts store? Wire 1 relay to each side camera, then use the existing switch in the dash to turn both relays on or off.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:40 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Randy View Post
Why not just get 2 small, inexpensive relays at the auto parts store? Wire 1 relay to each side camera, then use the existing switch in the dash to turn both relays on or off.
It's just a matter of tidiness.