Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2017, 11:55 PM   #1

Side Cameras - I dont want them

Rather than derail any further here's what I did:

There's a control box that takes the signal from the turn signals and reverse and signals the head unit (its only got 1 input) so that'll switch to the camera. The control box then feeds the proper video signal as well. On my DX3 its located behind the passenger side speaker next to the TV (I can probably get a picture if there's enough interest)

On this box there's a molex connector with 4 wires (ground, left, right, reverse) and then 4 RCA cables (left, right, reverse and output).

What I did was snip the two wires on the molex connector that go to the left and right signals. This way the head unit doesnt get the signal to switch to camera when the turn signals are on. I left the reverse and ground connected so that when I switch into reverse it kicks over to the backup camera.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:27 PM   #2

I think you have a BH? Do you know where this connector is in a RB? I prefer to keep an I out behind me, especially when clearing traffic and moving into another lane. Thanks for your input.
hook47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 02:40 PM   #3

I used the unused OPT switch on the dash and wired the side cameras through it. That way they can be turned off and on. Off almost all the time for me. But they did come in handy when I was parking next to a curb in a parking lot for a concert...no tire rub.
shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:54 PM   #4

Just curious, when the rear view camera comes on, how far to the rear can you see?
tnrzryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrzryd View Post
Just curious, when the rear view camera comes on, how far to the rear can you see?

7 foot....it points down not out.
Jammer151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer151 View Post
7 foot....it points down not out.

7 foot....it points down not out. For a rig this big and expensive, I don’t know why they don’t put a dual camera on the back (one facing down and one facing out). Also don’t know why they run it through the stereo head unit, would be great if they would do it like a Class A where you had a separate screen with all cameras displaying all the time. The system they use isn’t plug and play so if you want to put a good system in you basically have to start over.
Jammer151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:50 PM   #7

Bummer... my old class A’s camera looked out and was always on. Worked great for determining spacing for pulling back in after passing. Has anyone experimented to see if there’s a way to have it always on?
Old 12-09-2017, 11:18 PM   #8

I adjusted mine to show past my Jeep to help in lane changing. Easily done; 4 cap screws hold it in place. Hate to loose the rear view when using turn signals.
hook47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:59 PM   #9

tnrzryd, Not sure if this process works on a DX3, we have a 2016 Force. To have the rear view camera on all the time, except when turn signal is on, under the hood by the steering column is a black air hose copper fitting with a black module. Out of this black module come two wires a black wire and a white wire. Disconnect these two wires from the black module and reconnect them to each other. This will prevent the rear view camera from going off when you put the transmission into a forward gear.
DQskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:15 AM   #10

This is great. Hope the same will work on the DX3.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:01 AM   #11

Yeah don't know if I'd even bother sending a constant reverse signal. Before I got a second monitor I just scolled through the inputs on the head unit and left it on the video display. Any head unit should be able to do that and then you can still use the other functions as needed

Since then I've installed a separate 7" monitor just for rear/towing view. On a trailer I can see just the front of the jeep, flat towing I can see the whole thing. It shows the adjacent lanes too so used that to learn spacing but after some practice the mirrors are better for that too I feel. Just need to learn where they are in your side mirror when you're clear.

I ended up wiring the stock rear view to a separate monitor for constant viewing and added a wireless camera down on the hitch. The wireless is tired into then reverse so when i back up to connector to a trailer it kicks on and I get a view of the hitch ball. The distance is at the edge of what the wireless can handle so it's a little choppy but gets the job done
Old 12-10-2017, 10:00 AM   #12

I glad a new thread was started on this. The turn signals on the side cameras seem to be an issue with many, certainty is with me.

The monitor in my ‘14 DX3 has a split screen function so you can turn the rear camera on at will and still use the mapping.
dlfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shultz01 View Post
I used the unused OPT switch on the dash and wired the side cameras through it. That way they can be turned off and on. Off almost all the time for me. But they did come in handy when I was parking next to a curb in a parking lot for a concert...no tire rub.

That is a function I definitely would like to have.
Please get into more detail how you accomplished that.
Do they both come on when the opt switch is engaged?
Old 12-10-2017, 11:06 AM   #14

The new (16 and up) F250/350’s all have the option. Their built into the head unit and does the split screen when you use that particular signal. Also they have an option to purchase a wireless camera to put on the back of your trailer.
Jeff6146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff6146 View Post
The new (16 and up) F250/350’s all have the option. Their built into the head unit and does the split screen when you use that particular signal. Also they have an option to purchase a wireless camera to put on the back of your trailer.

Mine is a 15 with the syn 2 system. I can buy the new head unit for $900 which was really updated from the previous (mine) or there’s an adapter you can buy third party to hook up and install the camera on the rear wireless
Jeff6146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:20 PM   #16

In my experience if you really want to know how to disconnect certain functionality with these cameras you need to find someone at the Dynamax factory who upon giving them your VIN number will go to the build sheet and tell you how to do it based upon the navigation and media system installed. Based on the responses in this thread we are obviously talking about very different installed systems. The factory people may not be willing to tell you how to disconnect things or change how things work because of their perceived liability issues, but every once in a while you will find someone who won't put things in writing but will call you and tell you verbally how to do what you want to accomplish. Good luck!
Old 12-10-2017, 03:36 PM   #17

We would not be without our side cameras. This summer we watched a guy blow out the tire side wall on a sharp curb. Mirrors help but they do not always give you a true picture of clearance. Unlike a vehicle one cannot shoulder check either.

Good luck with no cameras.
Brandon 2
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:03 PM   #18

More info

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQskier View Post
tnrzryd, Not sure if this process works on a DX3, we have a 2016 Force. To have the rear view camera on all the time, except when turn signal is on, under the hood by the steering column is a black air hose copper fitting with a black module. Out of this black module come two wires a black wire and a white wire. Disconnect these two wires from the black module and reconnect them to each other. This will prevent the rear view camera from going off when you put the transmission into a forward gear.
I also have a 2016 Force. I haven’t been able to determine what wires you are referring to. Could you snap a picture and send it?
rkweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfishing View Post
That is a function I definitely would like to have.
Please get into more detail how you accomplished that.
Do they both come on when the opt switch is engaged?

Or can you use the screen to select the camera you want to use?
Old 12-10-2017, 08:50 PM   #20

rkweber, We store our motor home 160 miles from where we live, but I will be checking in on it this coming Thursday (12-14-2017). I will try and get a picture and post it after that date on this thread.
dlfishing, On the 2016 Force the navigation/media center does not provide for a split screen or selection of cameras on the device screen. Also, we met this past summer in Wilsonville Oregon at Pheasant Ridge, remember?