Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2019, 12:12 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Slide issue, Slide not working, Isata (Dynamax)

A recent thread about dead batteries/non-working slide and also a conversation on our Facebook page (with successful results) got me thinking about the slide issues we run into....and some confusion about their operation. This is a HIGH frustration area, when in most cases there is a really easy, quick fix.

Batteries:
Car or starting batteries are meant to give REALLY high output for a short period of time, basically to crank the motor.

RV Batteries (at least ours) are true deep cycle batteries meant to drain very slowly over a long period of time.

The slide is a motor. So when we operate a slide out, we are asking the RV batteries to do something they weren't really meant to do. It's like asking a marathon runner to enter a 100 meter sprint. They could do it....but its not what they were built for.
So, we ask that the batteries have some back up (engine running, plugged in or generator running). Same as having that marathon runner to do that sprint "wind aided"...or with a strong wind at their back.

The new slide switches and brains we run are designed to prevent catastrophe. So when you run the slide out, they are designed to "look" for problems and stop operating if there are some.

What happens in most cases, if you are not plugged in, or you are dry camping, or maybe at some point you lost power, or its cold, you tried to operate the slide without that "extra support". In any of those cases, the battery is tired. We are asking it to run a sprint....it will go, but maybe slowly. It's at that point, the slide "brain" is looking for issues. SO it MIGHT see low voltage and trigger a low voltage fault. Or maybe the voltage is good, but its operating slowly, it might think you have a motor problem and its dragging. What I am saying is that a LOW VOLTAGE issue, could trigger ANY number of fault codes.

The answer in 90% of the cases? Plug in, turn on the engine, run the gen....let the batteries charge up to full power and leave those things on. The problem is, the "brain" now thinks you have an issue and it wants you to correct that issue. It is stubborn and is not going to move until you do.

So, now, once you have that "extra support", pull the slide switch (shown). On the back side, there is a small "clear fault" button. Push that for one second. That should clear your fault and it tells the brain "everything is ok". Then try to operate the slide again. 90% of the time (including the FB conversation) this clears the fault and now you're ready to roll. These people were stranded, hopeless and slightly panicked because they didn't know. Had they read the manual, it might have helped...but I have said before, there is a LOT to learn and we're always trying to do a better job of teaching, showing, explaining the ones that cause the most frustration...even if the manual was there.

ONE side note. IF you press and hold that button TOO long. It will clear the stops. Then your slide won't operate until you re-set them. That too is in the manual, but is a little more complex. I will save that for another day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide Switch.png
Views:	3951
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	195052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Back of slide swtich.png
Views:	1164
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	195053  

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:11 PM   #2

Let me be the first to say "that was a great!! presentation"
thank you very much. (who read the instructions) before putting the
kids toys together LOL
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:28 PM   #3
Just as confused as you

bclemens, Since the problem is popping up lately on a regular basis maybe you can get this post as a sticky.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:30 PM   #4

Great help, definitely bookmarked.

I will give you one piece of feedback on the controller installation. When they installed mine, the cable was cut too short and when you pull the controller, you can only move it out of the wall about 1”, barely enough to get your finger behind the controller. Please tell your guys to leave plenty of slack so you can pull the controller out enough to see the buttons.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:06 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Its only because we sell 6" harness extensions for $659

Old 01-21-2019, 06:28 PM   #6

So we dry camp a lot
Best to leave Mercedes idling while we level our isata 3 and put out slide. Or start the generator.
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:53 PM   #7

I would start the generator as they need to be run regularly to keep them in good shape. I am usually plugged in, but when I bring it to the house to load and have no plug, I always start the generator and let it run for 5 min before I let the slide out or in.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:03 PM   #8

Thanks very much for taking the time to explain in plain terms the importance of having a strong battery and WHY. The manual does a pretty good job, but hearing it from someone live is helpful. Further to that, the longer discussion on resetting the stops would be a timely companion to this post. Again, the manual describes it, but adding your commentary of what is particularly important, WHY some things are important and questions that might come up would be most helpful.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:45 PM   #9

Excellent read and thanks for the presentation. Especially valuable when that "panic button" clicks on and takes away from rational thinking.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Its only because we sell 6" harness extensions for $659
Maybe mention the moving of "slide-out power wires in the Battery Control Center if the Alternator Voltage is to be used to boost House Battery Voltage for slide out movement.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:10 PM   #11
Commercial Member

I think we're doing that now.

Although I just learned the 2019 Mercedes chassis a a disconnect relay BUILT in. SO if it sits for more than 6 hours??? I think, the relay disconnects all battery connections except for ignition. They want to prevent any parasitic draws with all the new computer stuff.

So in theory, that would eliminate us connecting to the chassis batteries AT ALL.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:50 PM   #12

Brian, THANK YOU, thank you, thank you for this!!

I think the dealer did something to ours when they were trying to fix another issue with our slide, which is why the re-set didn’t work for us. They said they ordered some parts and will work on it for us.

I’m guilty for not reading everything in the manual, and when I do, I sometimes forget it. 😎 We have a lot to learn, and I really appreciate your help in this matter.

Sandi & Gerry
altlamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:43 PM   #13

While on this topic, I would like to ask again that someone take a picture/pictures of the slide motors and setup while on the manufacturing floor that shows the actual location and setup of the slide mechanisms before being covered up, in case there is a need to manually retract the slide. There are lots of conflicting stories of how to access the motors...some say from the inside, some say from the outside, etc. etc. Interested in the Isata 3. Thanks
Old 01-24-2019, 04:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemdd View Post
While on this topic, I would like to ask again that someone take a picture/pictures of the slide motors and setup while on the manufacturing floor that shows the actual location and setup of the slide mechanisms before being covered up, in case there is a need to manually retract the slide. There are lots of conflicting stories of how to access the motors...some say from the inside, some say from the outside, etc. etc. Interested in the Isata 3. Thanks
I too would be very interested in this for the Isata 3.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:30 PM   #15
Commercial Member

It is noted an on the agenda to shoot a video, next one we get. We just haven't had any motor replacements for some time. If all else fails we'll re-create it.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
It is noted an on the agenda to shoot a video, next one we get. We just haven't had any motor replacements for some time. If all else fails we'll re-create it.
AWESOME! Thanks!
Old 01-28-2019, 10:07 PM   #17

Our new I5 had the slide fail, and the batteries start going dead after owning it for just a couple weeks.
The dealer discovered that the wiring harness that goes to the control screen above the dinette had rubbed through and was grounding out.
They relocated the control screen out of the slide.
The dealer has had it for almost 4 months trying to repair all of the issues. Hope to have it back soon.
We have never really had the chance to use it since we bought it in Aug.
NMIsata5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:31 PM   #18

Thanks! I’ll show this to the mechanic
altlamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
I would start the generator as they need to be run regularly to keep them in good shape. I am usually plugged in, but when I bring it to the house to load and have no plug, I always start the generator and let it run for 5 min before I let the slide out or in.

I’ll have to use the generator, slide won’t go out with Mercedes idling. Maybe a safety thing.
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:01 AM   #20
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandiegodoug View Post
I’ll have to use the generator, slide won’t go out with Mercedes idling. Maybe a safety thing.
Early on there was an ignition lockout (chassis OFF) instead of an E-brake lock out. I think a couple of people on here have changed theirs in the Battery Control Center to be a "E-brake lock out" instead.

Tags
slide