Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2018, 05:01 AM   #21
GWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseaner View Post
There are two Motors for each slide in the Isata 5. They are located at the top of the slide. On the inside with the slide extended you can pull back the rubber seal at the top corner of the slide to see the motor. To access it you remove the Phillips screws holding the seal in place . You can remove the screws about halfway down the wall and that should be sufficient. Remove the spring which holds the motor in place, lift the motor straight up. The wires are attached via a plug so unplug it and reverse the process to replace the motor. If your slide is stuck, you can remove both motors and then push the slide in from the outside and then re install the motors to lock the slide in.
Thanks for the info. I take it you found this out on your own. Maybe at the Rally I can get you to walk me through it?
Old 06-06-2018, 08:32 AM   #22

Quote:
There are two Motors for each slide in the Isata 5. They are located at the top of the slide. On the inside with the slide extended you can pull back the rubber seal at the top corner of the slide to see the motor. To access it you remove the Phillips screws holding the seal in place . You can remove the screws about halfway down the wall and that should be sufficient. Remove the spring which holds the motor in place, lift the motor straight up. The wires are attached via a plug so unplug it and reverse the process to replace the motor. If your slide is stuck, you can remove both motors and then push the slide in from the outside and then re install the motors to lock the slide in.
We have the 30fw. I wonder if the procedure would be the same since we have the one large whole wall slide and not 2 slides.
Windsurf-mobile for us
LandKKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:39 AM   #23
Commercial Member

yes...same slide mech...just two of them.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:21 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsataMatata View Post
Our dinette slide is closer on the sides and top than the bottom. Had it checked out. Dealer said it would not get any closer on the bottom. I could get my fingers in between the coach and slide. (I would check yours) figured if my fingers could fit, that water and bugs could easily get in too. I had them put an additional weather stripping to tighten the gap.
I haven’t picked my up yet but I noticed that this is the same on my full wall Isata 4. What kind of weather stripping did they add? If you have a photo I would appreciate it. And I wonder if Mr Clemens can address this issue. I also saw it on a Isata 5 that was waiting to be delivered.
Thanks for response
FrancoIKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:34 AM   #25
Commercial Member

They typically just add a slide seal to the fascia side in some cases.

Some of that is just the way the slides work, it pulls the outside edges in, the motors are at the top. So you get the most torque at the top/outside, which leaves the bottom/middle as the worst case scenario. What we have started doing, is creating some reverse camber in the outside, slide wall to cheat it a bit, but every room will flex a little differently.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:09 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
They typically just add a slide seal to the fascia side in some cases.

Some of that is just the way the slides work, it pulls the outside edges in, the motors are at the top. So you get the most torque at the top/outside, which leaves the bottom/middle as the worst case scenario. What we have started doing, is creating some reverse camber in the outside, slide wall to cheat it a bit, but every room will flex a little differently.
I'll take a photo of mine and post and you can use it as an example of "it's OK, that's typical".
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:21 PM   #27

Here is a pic of the weather stripping dealer put on our coach and the Dynamax factory stripClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1528316462.269464.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	174837Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1528316481.648023.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	174838
Old 06-07-2018, 09:51 AM   #28

Quote:
Thanks much for the description on the Isata 5. I assume the Isata 3 24FW is similar (?). As clarification, do you access the slide motors from the inside of the coach? If so, while you can remove the motors with the slide extended, how do you reinstall the motors once the slide is closed. Thanks!
Old 06-07-2018, 11:16 AM   #29

From the inside

2018 Isata 5 DS
sseaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:49 PM   #30

I also will pick up my new 3 series and need to know thw answer to this. Looks like the most probable problem area!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wanderer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 04:41 PM   #31

Follow this thread. I did a step by step on slide motor http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...es-170306.html

2018 Isata 5 DS
sseaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:03 PM   #32
Eat Pray Love

Our DX3 Slide Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joet19711 View Post
I can only tell you about the Power Gear slide motors on the DX3. I have replaced both, I now have two 3/8 drill motors and 3/4" sockets to move
the slide in and be able to do it without using ratchets. Hope I never have
to move it again, but if I do, I am prepared!
BTW a motor runs around $700. Mine were covered under warranty.
Our DX3 motor after one year
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5084 (2).jpg
Views:	144
Size:	471.2 KB
ID:	192908  
tedelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:40 AM   #33

yep, water damage to the brake
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:12 AM   #34
Eat Pray Love

Slide Brake DX3 Main

Yeah he we were going down route 62 in New Mexico up by the Guadalupe National Park around a curve when the slide slid out at 65 MPH. Of coarse it was raining cats and dogs with a little fog rolled in to make it more interesting. The rear motor (one year old) on the main slide was the culprit. In the process of sliding out in cracked its way along the full length mirror and stopped on the propane monitor. White knuckled me stopped on the curve and looked outside. There was no way I'm going to move that by myself. Drenched I drove a bit till we received a cell signal and I called Camping World in La Paso, Texas (Lippert repair location). They didn't have any parts and was told to go to Lazydays in Tucson. I asked Camping World if they could provide man power to help move the slide inboard.They agreed. I drove 120 miles to (through) La Paso (route 10). Not an easy feat. With slide in the drive was now smooth until we stopped in Deming. There the transfer switch failed and not we had no propane or 50 amp service, only gen. We also locked the slide for no more tricks. LazyDaze's worked on the slide and replaced the transfer Sw. as we had to stay in a motel. The End
Old 12-11-2018, 12:35 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedelman View Post
Yeah he we were going down route 62 in New Mexico up by the Guadalupe National Park around a curve when the slide slid out at 65 MPH. Of coarse it was raining cats and dogs with a little fog rolled in to make it more interesting. The rear motor (one year old) on the main slide was the culprit. In the process of sliding out in cracked its way along the full length mirror and stopped on the propane monitor. White knuckled me stopped on the curve and looked outside. There was no way I'm going to move that by myself. Drenched I drove a bit till we received a cell signal and I called Camping World in La Paso, Texas (Lippert repair location). They didn't have any parts and was told to go to Lazydays in Tucson. I asked Camping World if they could provide man power to help move the slide inboard.They agreed. I drove 120 miles to (through) La Paso (route 10). Not an easy feat. With slide in the drive was now smooth until we stopped in Deming. There the transfer switch failed and not we had no propane or 50 amp service, only gen. We also locked the slide for no more tricks. LazyDaze's worked on the slide and replaced the transfer Sw. as we had to stay in a motel. The End
Did you cover up the openings in front of the rear wheels? and also in front of the generator compartment. It will keep road and tire spray from getting up there to the motor.
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 03:44 PM   #36

Question about Isata 5 slide motor for Scott or anyone else that has replaced a slide motor: The new motors have a plastic/rubber cover over the top of the motor assembly, what does this cover protect? My rear motor has been replaced with the new design but the front motor is the old design. I'm thinking I may need a cover on the original front motor or go ahead and order a new motor? Opinions?
I5PhilGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:35 PM   #37

Slide motors

I would like to know the torque values of these motors, so if mine go bad I might try some other drive method!
wanderer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:52 PM   #38
Eat Pray Love

No Shielding yet. The motor is working minus the brake. I've RTV'd all exposed electrical connections. Used expensive contact liquid on contacts. RTV'd under the rubber sleeve. Then I sprayed all electrical places and the outside of rubber sleeve with a plastic spray. If this doesn't work I'll …. do something rash.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:26 PM   #39

Hello, we are looking at purchasing 2017 DX3. Can I ask why the "sheilding" is not applied at the factory and left to the owner??? A little confusing!
Are their photos that demonstrate what should be done?
Thanks
Jim
DocJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:10 PM   #40
Eat Pray Love

Slide Brake DX3 Main

Jim,
No RV is prefect. Shielding the slide motor is something that has been focused here on the forum. Many DX3's somehow don't have the problem. This will be my 3rd motor on our '16. They cost ~ $950 ea. I commented on my fix for the motor sealing it the best I could. Power Gear, the maker, has many motor combinations sold to Lippert for their slides. I'm not sure if they actually know of the problems with moisture getting into their motors. ?? Sometimes we just have to fix things ourselves and go on our merry way(s) and enjoy the comforts of owning such a great rig.
Cheers,
Tom

Tags
slide