Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2018, 03:08 PM   #41

DOCJIM

I seem to remember that the 2018 DX3's built after January have extended the tire shield at the back of the generator bay to the floor of the coach per BClemons

It has been found that the extension has helped. Many of us have also added spray shielding to the front of the generator bay which has shown to work very well.

There is no issue with the generator getting sufficient air since the intake for cooling is on the bottom. The back of the generator bay toward MH frame is also open.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:08 PM   #42
Eat Pray Love

After Slide Out

Our 2016 DX3 also has the rear rubber shield. Doesn't seemed to have helped us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken Main Slide.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	193106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken Mirror  and Propane monitor (2).jpg
Views:	68
Size:	423.8 KB
ID:	193107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken Slide while driving.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	193108  
tedelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:58 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedelman View Post
Our 2016 DX3 also has the rear rubber shield. Doesn't seemed to have helped us.
UMM What happened? Mirror and propane monitor second picture.

Most of the times I have heard of the slide not moving at all. Not coming out underway.

Looks scary.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:52 PM   #44
Eat Pray Love

Brake Motor of two motor main slide on DX3

Update from previous post here on this tread. While going around curve at 65 MPH in pouring rain our main slide slid out 1/2 way (aft). The number 2 motor's Brake was corroded and therefore not holding. With no brake and going around that curve plus road spray on the rail assy. this made for a perfect scenario for the slide to slid outward. This is my assessment. There may be other reasons but I don't know of them. Maybe Lippert and/or Power Gear and or Dynamax have better answers?
Old 12-19-2018, 12:59 PM   #45
Commercial Member

I thought you pulled the motor and determined that? Did you then re-install that motor?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:13 PM   #46

We are interested in a low mileage used 2017 DX3 37 TS that is located 450 miles away. I have concerns regarding the slides that I have had discussion with other owners about. I guess my concerns linger as I do not see a definitive fix by Dynamax for the concerns of some owners that are having issues. A slide coming out while traveling or failing to retract when far from a servive center would certainly be distressing. I have owned a few Newmar DP over the years and although their slides are not fool proof the motors are positioned so they are not subject to moisture or rust and all slides have either an electric or mechanical mechanism to prevent un-intensional extension.
DocJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:22 PM   #47
Commercial Member

I think in every instance I have seen, the slide coming out was due to water getting on a control board.

When the motor has had an issue with moisture, it had always been that the brake has "seized"....NOT come out on its own. In the case above, the customer pulled their own motor and took the motor apart....I am still unclear if they put that same motor back in and if it was put in properly, or if this is being caused by something else.

And adding a slide bar or slide lock or transit lock, would certainly give peace of mind in this case so that regardless of the cause you wouldn't have to be as concerned in transit. The whole industry used to use slide bars/locks. But it seems MORE damage was caused than what they were actually designed to prevent when people opened slides with the locks in place. So most have either eliminated or ship the slide bars loose.

So, the quick fix, if you have this issue (and to be clear, by far and away most do not) is to make or buy a slide bar that wedges between the slide fascia and the wall. That will prevent the slide from going out on its own if the break fails or until you can get the slide properly repaired.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:28 PM   #48

Thank you,
1. please explain how you get the slide to retract if the it fails to do so when away from a service center.
2. what should I ask the Dealership/Tech to do to ensure there are no issues with the motors at the time of pruchase.

Thanks

Jim
DocJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 03:13 PM   #49
Commercial Member

1. if it fails to retract you can put it into over-ride mode. If that fails, then you can crank in the slide via the motor. If that fails, then the brake might be seized. I think there is a thread here on that already. Someone else may be able to chime in.

2.I'm not sure there is a way. Open and close the slide several times...make sure nothing is hanging up or working sluggishly. Frankly, the biggest problem with most of these things are "lack of use". when things get stored away for long periods of time and not exercised properly. regular use is a good thing.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:41 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
1. if it fails to retract you can put it into over-ride mode. If that fails, then you can crank in the slide via the motor. If that fails, then the brake might be seized. I think there is a thread here on that already. Someone else may be able to chime in.

2.I'm not sure there is a way. Open and close the slide several times...make sure nothing is hanging up or working sluggishly. Frankly, the biggest problem with most of these things are "lack of use". when things get stored away for long periods of time and not exercised properly. regular use is a good thing.

On number 1. IF the brake/motor is seized. You can disengage the motor (4 bolts) then have some campground friends push on the slide and use the override function to bump the other motor until the slide is in. Then remount the motor to engage the slide which will "lock it" since it is seized. The slide is heavy so buff camper friends are best. And in the end you will have some new friends!

I don't care what brand of MH or 5th or TT adversity happens!
Old 12-19-2018, 09:52 PM   #51
Eat Pray Love

Brian, After arriving at LazyDays in Tucson they found both main slide motors working after pushing the reset button. Their tech. Larry ran the slide In and Out many times after resetting positions OUT and IN. Only 1/2 hour of work by the Tech. Larry was charged.
My assumption initially that there was moisture on the control panel was wrong. None was visually present after I took out the control board and examined the board and area up and down the Monitor panel. I checked the area also by removing the paneling left of the Monitor panel. Some water was present from a botched repair from a previous owner but none was present on slide controller or other parts of the monitor panel.
Since then I have cleaned, caulked, RTV'd checked electrical connections of the same motor. I reinstalled it and set repositioning stops. All this with the exception of the brake. The Brake is toast. At $945.95 for a new fully assembled motor (without shipping and taxes added) I will add braces aft of the main slide.
Again as I previously told you - we love our used 2016 DX3. That is with the exception of too many slide problems and the wattage consumed by that residential refrigerator while we boondock. Sincerely, Tom Edelman

Tags
slide