Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2019, 02:37 PM   #1

Slide Opens by Itself

Thought the "won't close" slide issue was resolved prior to our long trip, but it has recurred.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...rk-184566.html
Never had a problem during the 6 week trip, and it sat plugged in w/ slide out for about 2 weeks. Tried to run the slide in, and it didn't work from the wall switch. Then a while later I tried the PPlex panel and "in" worked. Thought no more of it. Drove the coach, parking where it can't be plugged in.

One day last week, working in the coach, thought that I had left the slide "in", but it was "out". Another few days, and I went to move the coach so had to put the slide in. No response from the wall switch, or the PPlex panel. The "out" wall switch worked briefly, until hard on the outside limit. I observed that the E-Brake LED had a dim red light (prior to switch replacement it had a dim "Low Voltage" LED). Turned off the battery disconnect, back on to re-boot, still no response in or out even w/ engine running. Disconnected battery, and re-connected at night w/o solar input. No change.

Yesterday afternoon, after reading the "Sticky" on slide issues again and deciding to try the re-set on the wall switch, I went out and noticed the "E-brake" LED was not lighted and tried the wall switch. It worked! Both in and out (of course had to start the engine to avoid low V issue). Ran the slide all the way in, and left it (battery still connected and E-brake engaged).

Did some work in the yard, and maybe an hour later heard something at the coach and discovered the slide was out and motors making a clicking sound, maybe twice per second (tick--tick--tick continuously) so I quickly disconnected the battery and that sound stopped. I waited a while, then battery back on (PPlex rebooted). 12.3V on house battery. No sound from motors, "In" button not working, but "Out" does. Noticed that side was not all the way out; maybe 1 ft left. Again, dim E-brake LED, no "in" response @ PPLex panel, although out still works (I didn't run the slide all the way out, just enough to see if out still worked). Disconnected the battery again. "Out" button still works w/ no house battery.

This AM, in dark w/ no solar input (solar panel blank) and house battery disconnected, still had a dim E-brake LED, and Out button worked. Turned battery back on (PPlex rebooted), but no changes. Knowing voltage has a lot to do w/ slide issues and w/ battery showing 12.2V, started the generator instead of the engine this time. When the gen kicked in w/ voltage to the house (microwave beeps when this happens), suddenly the slide went the rest of the way out, until it hit its limit. But neither in/out switch responded after that, and still dim E-brake LED. Ran the gen for a while, now it has been sitting for several hours and battery is at 12.7V, no change to slide symptoms.

I now believe that the slide opened itself at least 3 times in the past. The first couple of times I thought I was mistaken, but yesterday proved that something is wrong. Of course, when we are using the coach usually the slide is open, unless we are driving and the e-brake is off. I don't think that this is a wall switch issue this time, although that seemed to solve the problem before. How can the slide (Out button) work and have a dim LED when the house battery is disconnected? What am I missing here?

I just need to get the slide back in so I can try to drive it to service... Sorry about the long post, just trying to tell the complete story.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:08 PM   #2
Commercial Member

It’s a bad slide switch. LCI is currently working on that. Contact your service rep, let them know. Or better yet, just contact LCI, let them know the slide is going out on it’s own, can they overnight a replacement. They are upgrading some resistor on the slide switches. Is it humid? It seems to be moisture is the biggest cause, but high humidity can cause it too. Very frustrating, I know.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:57 AM   #3

I'll call LCI. Been trying to figure some pattern, and had kinda concluded it must be the controller, even though the replacement switch you sent a couple of months ago fixed it then.

Yes, this is FL so very hot & humid 85%+. Although the 1st time glitch after returning home happened when plugged in w/ the AC running for over a week. Now parked too far away from the house to plug in, but maybe I'll take the switch out of the wall and try a hair dryer on it for a while.

If this is a known issue, how many other occurrences have you seen? Haven't seen other posts on this forum.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:13 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbwood View Post
I'll call LCI. Been trying to figure some pattern, and had kinda concluded it must be the controller, even though the replacement switch you sent a couple of months ago fixed it then.

Yes, this is FL so very hot & humid 85%+. Although the 1st time glitch after returning home happened when plugged in w/ the AC running for over a week. Now parked too far away from the house to plug in, but maybe I'll take the switch out of the wall and try a hair dryer on it for a while.

If this is a known issue, how many other occurrences have you seen? Haven't seen other posts on this forum.
I have only seen a handful, but in every case a new switch took care of it....for a while. I don't have all the details because LCI is the one handling this, but we have been pressuring them for a better response.

There have been several posts here on this site on various products, you just may not have noticed if it was a DX3 or 5 series.

LCI supplies that slide switch to a very large portion of the industry. I also know they have a modified switch that is supposed to be more robust? and is not affected by moisture? While they always want to handle their own warranty, this one they especially do, to make sure the new switch is sent out. I still have no idea what the affect switches are. Is it is range? a batch? I believe that is something they are looking into.

Old 07-26-2019, 09:19 AM   #5
Commercial Member

HOLD that thought. I want this switch back in my hands personally. can you shoot me the last 8 of your VIN and contact info. I will overnight you a new switch, but I would like that one back. I'll see if I can send a pre-paid...or what our options are there.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:35 AM   #6

OK - will PM you w/ contact info, but I am in your system thru Brian Meek for other issues (and previous switch replacement).

Missed your "HOLD that thought" - was on the phone w/ LCI and have just responded to their e-mail for all the particulars. The customer service tech I spoke to had absolutely no knowledge of any issues, so I quoted you several times - hope you can handle that
Old 07-26-2019, 10:41 AM   #7
Commercial Member

I figured you were, but when I looked up "Wood" I did not find a 4 series. But now I see why. Thanks. I may overnight a switch AND controller. Or just a switch. Even if I sent both so you have them, I would recommend just the switch first (also easiest). I also hope to send a pre-paid return. I want the old one in my hands before I give it back to LCI.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:57 AM   #8

Switch worked before, why not again? Of course as the LCI tech asked, how do you know that is the root cause of the problem. If the switch worked, I would not even go to the controller, so lets go there first. Frankly, getting to that stuff under the bed is a royal pain. At least the slide is stuck out, so it would be accessible. If slide was in, you are SOL on accessing the controller.

I can also send you back the original touch pad that was replaced if you want.

Based on your humidity diagnosis, I was thinking of 2 things to try this afternoon (in 90% humidity). 1) pull the wall switch out and run a hair dryer on in for a while, see if anything happens. 2) If #1 doesn't work, reinstall the original touch pad that has been inside my home in the AC for several weeks @ 36% humidity (just checked that number).
Old 07-26-2019, 11:34 AM   #9
Commercial Member

any additional data is appreciated

Old 07-26-2019, 02:58 PM   #10

This definitely looks like a wall switch issue (or as LCI says - Touch Pad).

Started my gen & AC then ran a hair dryer on the switch pad after removing from the wall. 5 mins on & off, not too hot, no change. Even started the engine (w/ gen on), and also tried from the PPlex pad w/ no results. A photo of the dim E-Brake light is attached (my previous post showed the dim Low-V light). Disconnected & reconnected the pad, no change.

Then I installed the old switch that was replaced in May. Although I had it onboard during our long trip, it has been inside the house at low humidity for the past couple of weeks. Eureka!! E-brake light is off, and magically the In & Out buttons work! Can you tell I am happy (!!!!)?

Happy at least for the time being. Once in, I have released the E-brake (which should prevent the slide from working), and as a double safe disconnected the wall switch. (Both switches are now inside my house - to be determined what to do with them)

This of course does not solve the underlying problem, so where do we go from here?

I also previously asked how the slide ran (at least the out button & dim e-Brake light) when battery was disconnected? I thought low voltage problem was only related to the house battery, and engine or generator added charge to that battery & fed the slide. Apparently there is some way the slide can get power w/ the house battery disconnected... Now that I have the slide In, I didn't want to experiment w/ disconnecting the battery yet and operating the switches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LCI Touch Pad 7-26-19.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	210874  
Old 07-26-2019, 03:02 PM   #11
Commercial Member

I think the slide is connected to a power point that is fed from the chassis battery. It has something to do with the E-brake signal? or the lock out. I don't recall the exact scenario.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:13 PM   #12

Then how does the gen help? It feeds the chassis battery somehow?

That's just curiosity. Where do we go with the underlying issue? Are you going to pursue w/ LCI? Or do I work w/ LCI, or the RV dealer where I am getting service for my black tank issues?

Another option is to send me a dozen wall switches, and I just replace and rotate them as I go
Old 07-26-2019, 03:44 PM   #13
Commercial Member

I already sent a new switch and controller just in case. Will arrive Monday. These are supposedly not "affected". Then we will see. LCI claims it is water damage, but how about the ones that are in walls where there was no leak.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:57 PM   #14

So I should replace both wall pad & controller?

I assume you want the 2 old wall switches returned for diagnosis (& controller too?)

Regarding water damage, I agree how is that possible in my 25FW where the switch is mounted on the wall outside the refrigerator. Suppose that interior space could get humidity from condensation off the insulated refrig wall, but it is not very exposed to humid air in that ~1" deep wall space.

Since slide is in now, just took a ride w/ water in my gray tank, but that will go in another post after I take some photos. Don't think there could be any relation between water in compartments & the slide switch issue.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:15 PM   #15

New touchpad & controller came yesterday afternoon - truly overnight, so kudos to Dynamax & the great customer service from Brian!

Installed both this afternoon, & slide is working. Hopeful that will continue & this is a permanent fix.

Somewhat surprising, BOTH of the old touchpads worked today before I installed the new one. As previously reported, the original touchpad worked 2 days ago after being inside my house for several weeks. The 2nd (replacement) touchpad that would not work last week was brought inside, and worked today after being inside in AC & low humidity (76F & 35% by my gauge) for almost exactly 48 hours. Coach was not plugged in w/AC on when the slide failed. Right now in late afternoon outside temp is 92F w/ 68% humidity, although humidity is ~90% in AM when slightly cooler outside (joys of living in central FL).

So is this a humidity or a temperature issue w/ the touchpad?

At this time I believe the touchpad is the culprit, not the controller. Although since Brian said "these are not affected", I replaced both.

Brian - I will send back the original controller and one of the touchpads. My wife has convinced me we need to keep one of the touchpads as a backup in case this happens again. I will also contact LCI and cancel their involvement at this time. FYI if you are following up from your end, the Case number w/ LCI is 2110887.

Observations from under the bed when I replaced the controller: Completely dry, so no leakage issues w/ the controller there. Kind of wish the breaker box/converter was mounted at the foot of the bed so it is accessible with slide "In" (or maybe stuck "in" w/ an electrical issue). Also, as I mentioned long ago in another post, the water filter under here is not the best location for service. Pulling out 2 rub rails and the plywood to get to routine service items (I think 17 screws) could be improved. I realize space is at a premium on the 25FW, but maybe there is a better way to provide access. Not really complaining too much here, just giving feedback to improve the product.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:17 PM   #16

Playing w/ the slide-out touch pad this afternoon; here are some observations:

Generator running (& battery disconnect "on"), side worked both Out & In without the E-brake engaged, at least for a couple of times. I was only running the slide out about 1 ft, then back in. Seems like the 1st time it worked twice before the E-brake light came on. Then I engaged E-brake, ran in & out a couple of times, disengaged e-brake, and went thru the same scenario a couple of times before E-brake light. Did this one more time (E-brake Off), and must have run in & out 6 times w/out any issues - slide still worked. Shut down the generator, and it worked on battery the same w/out E-Brake. Had Low-V light a couple of times, but waited for the battery to recover (maybe 20-30 secs) and the slide still worked.

Then shut off the battery disconnect, and slide still worked from the touchpad. Then I noticed that solar was still giving enough input (even w/ overcast) such that the PPlex panel was still working. Don't know how slide controls work w/battery supposedly disconnected.

Realize this is not a very complete test (don't really know what I am looking for), but curious about why the new controller I installed works (at least some times) with the E-brake off. Not really a problem for me, as long as it works when I need it to, and not opening when I don't want. The coach has been parked w/ no external power (just coach battery) in heat & humidity for a week w/ the new touch-pad & controller, and works when I use the touchpad, so OK there...
Old 08-05-2019, 01:14 AM   #17

cbwood...you are a patient individual no doubt. I'm back on here trying to diagnose why my slide will not operate (Isata 4 25FWF) and curious if it is tied to the PPlex malfunction that also throws off the lighting that we discussed a few weeks back.

When dropping my rig off at storage after our big trip recently, I turned the battery disconnect and was quickly reminded by beeping, etc. that it appears to be impossible to truly disconnect the coach batteries using the disconnect switch in the step well of the coach due to the solar connection. Does anyone reading have suggestions on this process? For the second time now it has messed up my lighting and I'm now curious if it is the reason for the slide not operating (either at the switch or on the PP screen). I reset the system once it was dark which again fixed the lighting issue, but the slide is still not working. I've tried the quick reset on the back of the panel as well...just keep seeing 1 green flash and 1 red flash. Based on another thread post somewhere I've decided to unplug the switch overnight and try it again in the morning. (When I finally found manuals online for the wall switch it appears that this blinking is telling me the parking brake is not set but my panel also has a specific light for the parking brake...confused to say the least.)
drfievez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:26 AM   #18
Commercial Member

If it is ONE green ONE red, that means the slide stops are lost. The slide stops need to be reset. That is also in the video.

As for disconnecting. Once it gets dark the BIRD will drop the batteries out. The other option is to add a disconnect to the solar array.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:03 AM   #19

Don't know why I thought the coach battery disconnect was going to do anything - as you mentioned in #11 above, it's the chassis battery.

My observations were really directed at the fact that the new touch-pad & controller don't really seem to recognize the e-brake setting, and I have done nothing other than change out the switch & controller.

This AM, Bird has in fact disconnected the coach battery from solar - Solar controller is blinking "b01" (battery disconnected), and PPlex is off. E-brake is still off, and I can still run the slide in and out, so power is coming thru some connection to chassis battery thru the BCC. When I replaced the controller, the power connection was coming from the converter/breaker panel, although I didn't explore any further.

As I said, I am fine with no E-brake required, but it was not expected. Apparently this new controller version (?) has changed something w/ the e-brake lock-out, although it worked (locked out) a couple of times yesterday. I didn't find a pattern I could re-create. My intention here is not to exhaustively test, just to provide some observations that may help w/ any diagnosis of the root problem.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:00 AM   #20

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
If it is ONE green ONE red, that means the slide stops are lost. The slide stops need to be reset. That is also in the video.

As for disconnecting. Once it gets dark the BIRD will drop the batteries out. The other option is to add a disconnect to the solar array.
Thank you Mr. Clemens. I appreciate the confirmation on both. I thought I had properly attempted to reset the slide stops but have now done so and all is well. Very much appreciated. As a matter of diagnosis/reminder, unless slide stops are randomly lost, I believe it was my attempting to turn off the coach battery switch while the solar was engaged (it wasn't dark out) that caused this to happen, along with the lighting issue mentioned earlier. Lessons learned daily...
drfievez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide