Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2018, 05:36 PM   #1

Slide Topper in windy locations

Some of the places we have liked to camp prior to getting our Isata 3 can get very windy. For instance on the Columbia River where 30 mph sustained with 50 mph gusts are not uncommon. Having seen how the Slide Topper flaps in lesser winds I don't think it would last very long under those conditions.

Has anyone found a decent solution to protect the fabric? We don't carry a ladder so beach balls are out. I'm wondering about a lightweight tow strap around the slide with a bungee attached to the ends. That could hold the middle of the fabric down to the slide roof and have a little give if necessary. Unfortunately that would probably wear through the paint on the corners but it would be worth it (and easy to touch up).
xgarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:44 PM   #2

for windy situations I use a extendable pole and push up and into the awning ends a comforter/sleepingbag - any 'heavy' type bed style cover should work since you are basically 'blocking' the ends of awnings, keeping the winds from flowing thru.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:17 PM   #3

Well that's a good idea! Tell me more about your extendable pole.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
for windy situations I use a extendable pole and push up and into the awning ends a comforter/sleepingbag - any 'heavy' type bed style cover should work since you are basically 'blocking' the ends of awnings, keeping the winds from flowing thru.
Now thats a great idea! Thanks for sharing
Old 03-24-2018, 05:29 PM   #5

Great idea. I have a paint roller extension pole that should do the trick; it telescopes to about six feet. Pulling the item out could be a problem. A loop on the filler item and hook on the pole might help. A ladder would be useful for this and other tasks, so I continue to look for one that will fit in the compartment below our Isata 3 side slide. But the pole will be packed until I get a ladder.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:44 PM   #6
Just as confused as you

Some throw a strap or rope across the topper and secure the ends with bungee cords.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgarys View Post
Some of the places we have liked to camp prior to getting our Isata 3 can get very windy. For instance on the Columbia River where 30 mph sustained with 50 mph gusts are not uncommon. Having seen how the Slide Topper flaps in lesser winds I don't think it would last very long under those conditions.

Has anyone found a decent solution to protect the fabric? We don't carry a ladder so beach balls are out. I'm wondering about a lightweight tow strap around the slide with a bungee attached to the ends. That could hold the middle of the fabric down to the slide roof and have a little give if necessary. Unfortunately that would probably wear through the paint on the corners but it would be worth it (and easy to touch up).
Try one of these

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-tel...3-0050569406b5
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:10 PM   #8
World Wide Wanderer

You could carry a 4" roller frame to thread onto your extension handle to use as a hook. We carry a 10' collapsible boat hook in all of our trucks so we can reach stuff in the bed. I was born lazy and raised slow, don't want to have to work any harder than I need to.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post

Thanks, but 24 lbs is a pretty substantial weight penalty for an Isata 3.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:52 PM   #10

I have long adjustable bungee cords which I stretch lengthwise across the center of the awning and secure them to the hardware underneath. They are available at Home Depot or on their website. Each are 24’ long, but you can cut unneeded length from ones going on short slides and add to that extra long one.
Learned this trick while camped on the cliff overlooking Lincoln City, OR.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Some throw a strap or rope across the topper and secure the ends with bungee cords.
That's what I do, I have a Nylon strap that is already sized with bungees on the ends. I just throw it over and hook it. Works pretty well but the idea of the sleeping bag or something pushed underneath the ends intrigues me. The wind can be very annoying when trying to sleep.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmay12 View Post
That's what I do, I have a Nylon strap that is already sized with bungees on the ends. I just throw it over and hook it. Works pretty well but the idea of the sleeping bag or something pushed underneath the ends intrigues me. The wind can be very annoying when trying to sleep.

Yeah, I'm thinking that a combination of the two strategies would be about the best you could do.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:46 AM   #13

Slide toppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgarys View Post
Yeah, I'm thinking that a combination of the two strategies would be about the best you could do.
I don't have a ladder either. I use some 1/2 PVC, some rope, and a bungee cord. Toss, and hook up. (I added "cross" pc at each end to protect the edges of the topper.)
twdenman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, location, slide