Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2018, 03:10 PM   #1

Sliding door clasps...

Has anyone (I think Aaron said he changed his) changed these stupid pony tail wrapper bands out for something that doesn’t stretch?

These stupid things stretch and then rip out of the wall. Now I have to get my wall replaced.

I love my Dynamax but these are a disappointment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	307E9FEF-7F5D-4818-909D-D4F44EECE37C.jpeg
Views:	1387
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	176255  
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:36 PM   #2

Mine is a nylon strap (1" or so) screwed into the wall on one side and with a snap on the other side. Havent had any problems with it really.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:48 PM   #3

Mine are similar to FOURWHL. Mine are upholstery material sewn into a strap with a snap, haven't had any problems.
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:25 PM   #4

So why did I get a freaking pony tail wrapper??
Old 06-17-2018, 07:51 PM   #5

They have locks at the bottom of the door on the XL's, work great, unless you forget to lock them before moving...5th Wheel had a Clear Vinyl Lanyard with a snap that worked well...https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-2.../dp/B002UC4TEO
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
They have locks at the bottom of the door on the XL's, work great, unless you forget to lock them before moving...5th Wheel had a Clear Vinyl Lanyard with a snap that worked well...https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-2.../dp/B002UC4TEO
Can you post a picture of the locks at the bottom of the door Please?
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joet19711 View Post
Mine is at dealer getting hit list covered, will ask Ed Longhorn RV Sales Rep to take a shot and send to us...
Old 06-18-2018, 08:13 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush View Post
Has anyone (I think Aaron said he changed his) changed these stupid pony tail wrapper bands out for something that doesn’t stretch?

These stupid things stretch and then rip out of the wall. Now I have to get my wall replaced.

I love my Dynamax but these are a disappointment.
The pony tail ones work great, if they are screwed into some meat. We used a plastic strap before and the strap could break.

We are changing what we can over to a bottom/top lock, but that is an "inside the door" mechanism and requires re-tooling the doors and design. We've been working one floor plan at a time. The other option is a metal slide bolt lock. Georgetown uses one with a metal holder on the wall side, with a little catch on the door. Lift up on the slide bolt that looks like a small candy cane and the other side catches the door. I think someone added one here a while back.

On anything that we have not changed over to the "in-door" latch we have added the big magnets to the wall and door on the back side. One high and one low. that helps keep the door from swinging and takes some of the weight off the latch.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
The pony tail ones work great, if they are screwed into some meat. We used a plastic strap before and the strap could break.

We are changing what we can over to a bottom/top lock, but that is an "inside the door" mechanism and requires re-tooling the doors and design. We've been working one floor plan at a time. The other option is a metal slide bolt lock. Georgetown uses one with a metal holder on the wall side, with a little catch on the door. Lift up on the slide bolt that looks like a small candy cane and the other side catches the door. I think someone added one here a while back.

On anything that we have not changed over to the "in-door" latch we have added the big magnets to the wall and door on the back side. One high and one low. that helps keep the door from swinging and takes some of the weight off the latch.

The problem I have with the pony tail wrapper is it allows the door to slide open a few inches and then bangs into the backside.

My cure? I installed felt pads on the backside and put a new pony tail wrapper on and it still stretches. The problem is if it stretches too much, it snaps the pony tail wrapper and flings the plastic piece into the wall across from it. I have at least 5-6 chips/dents from that happening. You can see by all the hol
es in the wall how many times it’s been relocated.

Mark
Old 06-18-2018, 11:06 AM   #10

I sincerely hope this part gets officially renamed “pony tail door latch”
Old 06-18-2018, 11:21 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Sounds like the repair was not "up to snuff". I would have serious talk with the repair person

Old 06-18-2018, 12:27 PM   #12
Consumer of Space

I just installed some rare earth magnets on both of my sliding doors. The magnets came from Amazon and were installed with 3M VHB double sided tape. The magnets, combined with the pony tail straps, have prevented the doors from slapping back and forth when driving unimproved roads.

I have one side of the rig that backs down off a high street curb that can get the rig moving pretty good, side to side. The doors used to flop back and forth pretty violently, but now I don't notice anything back there.

Closing the door just takes a tug to free it from the magnets, no chipped nails from the DW or I would have heard about it.

I'll see if I can take some pictures tonight...
Old 06-20-2018, 12:10 AM   #13

Name:	IMG_6107.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	176606
Jammer151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by joet19711 View Post
Please find the photo you requested, it took me all day to get it to upload, I'm in Saudi Arabia and the band width is clogged with sand...lol...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0618180917-3.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	176638  
Old 06-20-2018, 10:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
Please find the photo you requested, it took me all day to get it to upload, I'm in Saudi Arabia and the band width is clogged with sand...lol...
Winner for the longest distance RV trip
Old 06-20-2018, 10:43 AM   #16
Commercial Member

This is the other latch that I know Georgetown uses.
Sliding Door Latch Loop Lock Bar Hook Bolt Safety Security Protection Hardware RV

Old 06-20-2018, 10:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I’ve used that one in the past. Very simple and works great.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door