Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2016, 07:26 AM   #1
Tinkerer and Putterer

So the counter is too small...

I saw a complaint in another post about a lack of counter space and I agree with Mr Clemens response. It's a never ending battle and there is never enough. Flip up extensions kind of work but they often block something. On my forester the door gets blocked so I rarely use the extension. I was playing with the idea of using a drop down TV mechanism to drop a second counter down from the cabinets.

https://www.tvlift.com/tv-lifts/drop...s/model-l-23i/

It would require the removal of the cabinets, construction of either new cabinets or a box to place behind the cabinets to contain the mechanism, wiring to power the mechanism, a way to secure the surface from rattling down the road and the loss of my under cabinet lighting so for me it is more trouble than it's worth and given its complexity I doubt it would ever make it into a forester. But I thought I would ask if Dynamax has ever thought about this type of "counter extension." It's more of a secondary shelf to move things off of the counter and clear prep space than an extension but boy it would be neat to see...
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:15 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Interesting concept. It would take some cabinet space, which is valuable as well, but I wonder if there was a a way just to double up the counter and raise it on a screw type shaft at the four corners.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:23 AM   #3
Tinkerer and Putterer

That could work too but I would favor a single driven shaft with two supporting side legs that could fold up under and drop down as the counter rises and lock at a predetermined height. One driven shaft prevents the problem of two powered mechanisms getting out of sync or one jamming and the other continuing to spin. I can think of all kinds of ways to make the legs lock and unlock but none that don't require user intervention or a pricey under counter solenoid both of which could result in warranty calls and or technician swearing. I liked the drop down option because there is no chance of someone leaving items on the surface causing an uneven weight distribution as the counter rises. That and I could see a way to package the mechanism such that it bolts up behind the extension from the bottom of the cabinet. That way if a repair is required you could unbolt the counter, drop the mechanism and disconnect the wire. Easier service and replacement. That same setup could also be used with different lengths of surface allowing the same mechanism to be used on multiple units without the need to re-engineer everything.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:36 AM   #4
Tinkerer and Putterer

For that matter it might be possible to forego the automation entirely and just use a spring loaded ram and grips or a crank to raise and lower the unit regardless of the design. You still need to lock it in place for safety but getting rid of the powered component would greatly simplify things and drop the costs both up front and from warranty claims.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:33 PM   #5

RV design

Counter space, pantry space, linen space, and actual cabinets for dishes are something that are not present in so many RVs it is amazing to the DW and I. We are currently looking for a FW that has a large refrigerator, a pantry, cabinets for dishes, and an actual linen cabinet as deal/no deal requirements. We have eliminated a lot of really beautiful FW because of a lack of these criteria. What is really amazing to us the very campers with bunk houses or additional sleeping space are the ones with 7 cu. ft. refrigerators, no pantries, no linen cabinets...and all of those people to feed! My suggestion is any RV company that hires a new designer should hand over a RV, TT or FW, to the person on the first day and send them and their family on a nice 30 day trip. I guarantee they would come back with enough storage, more counter space, and place to put food and linen!
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:06 PM   #6

I think you guys are over-thinking it. You must be engineers.

Why not use something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Folding-Shelf...N1CAX65XP8VXZX

You could install as long a shelf as you had room for and it could be positioned as far above the counter as necessary and just folded down when traveling or when not needed. Locate them on studs and epoxy and screw them on and they should work great.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:08 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Would cover any window above the counter.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Would cover any window above the counter.
So would any jacked-up or dropped down shelf when it was in use. If that is a problem, mount the brackets and just place the shelf there when you need it. Other times, store it somewhere. Under the mattress is a good spot. Under dinette cushions is good if you have a dinette.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:26 PM   #9

I purchased a Forest River Solera after looking at other manufacturers Class C's. I thought that Forest River utilized a better design of storage and counter space.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post
I think you guys are over-thinking it. You must be engineers.

Why not use something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Folding-Shelf...N1CAX65XP8VXZX

You could install as long a shelf as you had room for and it could be positioned as far above the counter as necessary and just folded down when traveling or when not needed. Locate them on studs and epoxy and screw them on and they should work great.
SO like this.....

Those are the brackets I used....

It's almost 3 feet long and adds much needed space..could have been longer still but it was enough and not in the way.
shughey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:07 PM   #11
Tinkerer and Putterer

Ah but I have drawers directly below the counter line and a window right behind my counter so a permanent shelf blocks things up and a fold down counter would make my drawers unusable. That's why I'm looking at a drop down or pop up type solution. Why yes I am an engineer... why do you ask?

A slide out and lock type solution that stores under the counter would work too.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by shughey00 View Post
SO like this.....

Those are the brackets I used....

It's almost 3 feet long and adds much needed space..could have been longer still but it was enough and not in the way.
X2.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:08 PM   #13
Tinkerer and Putterer

Nope more like this but larger and with some locks to keep it in place:

With some cam lock knobs to lock the board in place when traveling:

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/fa...teel-24x55-pin

But this approach cuts into the walk around space so there's a drawback to every approach. I'll have to knock this around for a while.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:35 AM   #14

Our Roo has room for a small table

With our slide out, there is room for a small 2'x3' table. It leaves room to work on both sides. We attach a garbage bag holder on one end, and that solves another problem. It will never compare to the counter space at home, but it sure helps. I'm amazed that they don't do a better job. I guess they think most RVers eat out.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:14 PM   #15

Nice extra counter space guys, but I too have a Solera and there is no way that works.
I like the idea of having designers actually have to use an RV, not just sit at a desk and design one. And, women should be a part of the design team. Users who actually have to make the bed, and cook should be involved.
PNWTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote