Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2018, 08:41 PM   #1

Solar controller

A few months ago I noticed my solar panel controller was always showing 12.7v, no amps and no power light. Brain very kindly changed it out for a new one at the rally. I was in the motorhome today checking another issue and noticed the new one is now displaying the same problem as the old one - shows solar panels at full strength, battery voltage at 12.7v and no amps or led lights apart from battery monitor showing two thirds charge. It worked fine for several weeks.
Brian did you diagnose the original one and find anything wrong.
I’m not sure what it can be?
Motorhome1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:12 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Nope, as soon as I plugged it into my rig, the power light came on and everything was working.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:18 AM   #3

Bad connection? Try reseating the plug on the controller.

2018 Isata 5 DS
sseaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:22 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhome1 View Post
A few months ago I noticed my solar panel controller was always showing 12.7v, no amps and no power light. Brain very kindly changed it out for a new one at the rally. I was in the motorhome today checking another issue and noticed the new one is now displaying the same problem as the old one - shows solar panels at full strength, battery voltage at 12.7v and no amps or led lights apart from battery monitor showing two thirds charge. It worked fine for several weeks.
Brian did you diagnose the original one and find anything wrong.
I’m not sure what it can be?
depending on controller, 12.7VDC is close enough to fully charged, that the controller may stop charging, hence no amps

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:22 AM   #5
Commercial Member

What are you saying?!!! I personally tightened those (4) terminals down on the controller. I assume you must mean, roof top connection? I hadn't even been drinking at that point.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:25 AM   #6

I’m going to recheck every connection (not Brian’s of course) including the roof.
I understood even if the batteries are charged the blue power light stayed on. I’m not even getting that!
Old 07-27-2018, 09:24 PM   #7

I’m still having problems with my solar controller. Coach batteries are always charged but last week my chassis batteries were completely flat. Showing 2.5v. I started generator and after about an hour they showed 12.5v with generator off. I intend to take batteries off and charge at home. I have also purchased the latest gopower controller that charges two battery banks. If I connect the second bank to the chassis’s batteries will it be ok when it pulls all the current on starting? Also I’m assuming they are wet/flooded batteries?
Old 07-27-2018, 09:49 PM   #8
Commercial Member

On our spec sheet, we get the AGM upgrade from Freightliner. I would double check, because I can't be sure we were always doing that.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:56 PM   #9

Ok, so I spent the day on Solar. First I took the two chassis batteries home (They are wet)and charged them fully. While they were charging I disconnected the solar panel wires and checked the voltage - 5 volts in bright sunshine. I went on the roof and disconnected each panel from the connection box on the roof. Each panel gave me 16 - 17 volts. I reconnected, took my meter down to wires at the controller and there was 14 - 15 volts. I have purchased Gopower’s 30 amp controller that charges two banks of batteries. I connected the new controller to the wires and it showed 12.7 v and no Amps on the display.( it does this even if the solar wires are not connected). Disconnected and the volts was 5 again. Back up on the roof, checked panels and 14 volts. Dull by now. Back down to controller and I have 12 volts. I connected to controller and it now charging coach batteries, 4 amps. I ran wires from the battery locker up to the new controller and connect to chassis batteries. Set coach for AGM and chassis for flood. By now coach batteries where at 13.4 volts and showing .7 amps and chassis showing 13 volts and 3 amps. Hopefully I’ve fixed my solar problem for good. I keep my coach in storage with no hook up so I love being able to keep both battery banks on charge. Incidentally I could not understand how chassis batteries went flat, but today I noticed even with the battery connect off the leveler panel still as power. I think I may have left it on. Not sure if everyone’s is the same?
Bob
Old 07-28-2018, 08:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhome1 View Post
Ok, so I spent the day on Solar. First I took the two chassis batteries home (They are wet)and charged them fully. While they were charging I disconnected the solar panel wires and checked the voltage - 5 volts in bright sunshine. I went on the roof and disconnected each panel from the connection box on the roof. Each panel gave me 16 - 17 volts. I reconnected, took my meter down to wires at the controller and there was 14 - 15 volts. I have purchased Gopower’s 30 amp controller that charges two banks of batteries. I connected the new controller to the wires and it showed 12.7 v and no Amps on the display.( it does this even if the solar wires are not connected). Disconnected and the volts was 5 again. Back up on the roof, checked panels and 14 volts. Dull by now. Back down to controller and I have 12 volts. I connected to controller and it now charging coach batteries, 4 amps. I ran wires from the battery locker up to the new controller and connect to chassis batteries. Set coach for AGM and chassis for flood. By now coach batteries where at 13.4 volts and showing .7 amps and chassis showing 13 volts and 3 amps. Hopefully I’ve fixed my solar problem for good. I keep my coach in storage with no hook up so I love being able to keep both battery banks on charge. Incidentally I could not understand how chassis batteries went flat, but today I noticed even with the battery connect off the leveler panel still as power. I think I may have left it on. Not sure if everyone’s is the same?
Bob
Looks like you have fixed the problem. What was the cause of the problem?

My power gear leveler panel will shut off after a time of not being used.

think you have a different kind of leveler than me
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:12 PM   #11

Hi Joe,
Not sure what the problem was / is. I only hope I’ve fixed it now. If not it will be off to Elkhart. Maybe my leveler switches off. I guess it’s wait and see.
Hope you are well

Tags
controller, solar