Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2016, 07:45 PM   #1

some propane some not?

Ok, I have a 2006 dynaquest 260, today the hot water heater won't light, and the refrigerator wont light on Propane, Yes I have a FULL propane tank, now the furnace which is propane, it runs fine, just what I need in 95 degree weather, but i had to try it, both the fridge and the water heater just set there clicking their electronic spark, seems there is no gas to ignite, how can i have gas to the furnace but not the other two units? worked fine 2 days ago,
Bill340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:50 PM   #2
Berkshire 390QS

A couple things to try.

1. Turn the propane off and then slowly open it back up.
2. Check the CO dector is on or reset it.
3. Stove work?
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:24 PM   #3

propane off then on..ok did that, reset detector,,ok did that,, NO stove in this unit, but have furnace, it works ok,..
Old 07-21-2016, 09:19 AM   #4
Site Team

Did you recently run out of propane, then have it refilled? If so, then you probably have air in the line. The furnace may be ahead of the other appliances in the line and that's why it works and they don't.

Are there any valves at the units themselves? If so have you checked to make sure they haven't gotten turned off?
Old 07-21-2016, 10:39 AM   #5

No propane was all but full. Worked one day drove 5hrs and next day not working. No fridge no hot water. Just furnace. Fridge works on elec though.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:50 AM   #6
Site Team

Have you checked the lines for kinks or collapsed places between the furnace and the other units?

It seems odd that it would happen all of a sudden. I guess there's the possibility of trash in the system that jarred loose as well.

It might be a good idea to check the system pressure as well, just to be sure it isn't low.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:35 PM   #7

Had a similar problem on my FR Cardinal 5th wheel. He told me that there have been problems with the check valves in some of the connectors that run between the tank and the regulator. Replaced the connector, and the problem was solved.
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:44 PM   #8

Will keep checking things. Keep throwing ideas my way. Thanks to all.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:27 AM   #9
Retired Techie

Use a propane torch to light fridge. Metal guard around burner comes off with one screw. Once thermocouple is hot pilot and burner will turn on and evacuate air from lines if it is in fact air. Also a good chance to inspect burner for built up carbon or bug nests.
2013 Keystone Springdale 5r Sold
1998 Honda Valkerie Sld
2016 Camping 148 days so far Bought park model and moved to Florida.
moligney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:12 AM   #10

If your propane lines are accessible via the outside appliance covers, (they should be) take a wrench and loosen the connector a bit until you smell gas, then tighten it back up. This will tell you whether you have a problem with the gas lines.

Once you know you have gas, if it is an electronic ignition, have your better half turn the swiitch to start the appliance again while you watch and listen to hear if the igniter and the gas valve is opening. If you hear and see a spark but but dont hear the gas valve opening, there is a problem with the gas valve which could be as simple as the high limit thermostat. If the gas valve opens but you don't have a spark, It is most likely a bad igniter board.
If the gas valve opens and you have a spark but it still won't light, the line from the gas valve to the pilot light is probably blocked. If you have nothing, it is most likely the flame thermal fuse link, If its melted open it will need to be replaced.

If you have gas and the gas valve does open but your igniter board is bad, you can have the better half turn on the switch while you hold a match in front of the pilot area and light the appliance. It will operate until you hit the high temperature limit and then shut down. You can do this each time you need hot water, etc until you can get it repaired
If your unit has a pilot light, attempt to light the pilot light as directed. If you can start the pilot light but it won't stay lit, you have a thermal couple problem. If you can hear the gas valve opening but fail to smell any gas, you have a blockage in line that runs from the gas valve to where the pilot light is located.. In that case, take the line out and clean out the blockage, put it back in and start your appliance.

Hope this is of some help.

PS. Prior to the 2017 Sunseeker, I had a 1998 FR Wildwood 5er and over the years learned all kinds of ways to get the gas appliances to work.
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane