Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2018, 03:15 PM   #1

Steering Stabilizers for Front Wheel Blowout Protection?

Every once-in-awhile, I see a video or pictures of a motorhome which experienced a front wheel blowout. The horror of what I see causes me to think I should do more than ride on good quality tires and keep them inflated to manufacturers recommended pressure.

A device that has been recommended to improve handling during a blowout is a steering stabilizer. The two commonly recommend brands for motorhomes is the Reflex Steering Stabilizer by Roadmaster [ see Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories ]and the Safe-T-Plus [see Safe T Plus Steering Control / RV & Truck Steering Stabilizer ]

A reason for buying the Dynamax on the Freightliner chassis was an expectation of good handling. My experience finds it does handle well. Would a steering stabilizer improve handling?

Would any forum members like to share their experience with front wheel blow outs or with steering stabilizers?

Thebackpacker
2016 DX3
Thebackpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:19 PM   #2

I have an 08 Dynaquest 34xl. It handled well but a. Safe t plus added much improved handling, tracks straight as a arrow, feels more solid. I had the same stabilizer on my 40’ Country Coach, same improvement. I actually installed these to gain an extra edge of safety in event of front tire sudden blowout. I believe it would help, and my family safety is well worth the few bucks it costs. Why take the risk? Blowouts can be sudden and deadly.
Jag73e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:25 PM   #3

hope never to have a blow out, I bought it mainly for help in handling, but also just in case of a blow out,, never hurts to be safe
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:13 PM   #4

I added safe t plus for blowouts and easier drive. It has been discussed here before and seems it is a personal preference, I wouldnt go without, others do.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:39 PM   #5

I have Tyron Safety Bands on the steers on the DX3 (and the Winnebago View purchased for our kids with our grand-babies to use)
Many on this forum complain about the inconvenience in changing a tire, but it’s really not that big a deal as long as you keep the tool kit that comes with the bands in the unit.
The bands keep the tire from rolling off the wheel. You are able to steer in tire failure and move to a safe place to change the tire.
I had a steer tire fail, E ticket to hell ride, two Life Flight helicopter rides, one me the other my son. I’m so happy the rest of the family wasn’t in the rig with us.
Any inconvenience these bands would create, pales by comparison.
I wished I’d of known of these bands and would of had them on that unit.
retired18whler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:49 PM   #6

Safe-T-Plus works great for me on my Berky 34QS.

2016 FR Berkshire 34QS
2019 Chevy Equinox Premier toad
feedfold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:33 PM   #7

Safe- T- Plus on our FR3. What a difference in handling when trucks pass either from front or behind. Also added front and rear sway bar upgrades. Unit barely moves from trucks and much better in windy conditions.
cariboo camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:03 PM   #8

Fredfran

What steering stabilizer do owners of Georgetowns recommend?
thehamrtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired18whler View Post
I have Tyron Safety Bands on the steers on the DX3 (and the Winnebago View purchased for our kids with our grand-babies to use)
Many on this forum complain about the inconvenience in changing a tire, but it’s really not that big a deal as long as you keep the tool kit that comes with the bands in the unit.
The bands keep the tire from rolling off the wheel. You are able to steer in tire failure and move to a safe place to change the tire.
I had a steer tire fail, E ticket to hell ride, two Life Flight helicopter rides, one me the other my son. I’m so happy the rest of the family wasn’t in the rig with us.
Any inconvenience these bands would create, pales by comparison.
I wished I’d of known of these bands and would of had them on that unit.
We have the Tyron safety bands on our RV. you tube the videos on this. it is a great safety item.
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stabilizers, wheel