Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2018, 06:09 PM   #1

Question Step won’t come out - 2017 Isata 3

I know this has been addressed on the Facebook page, but we can’t seem to figure out how to get our exterior step to come out. It’s Kwikee Electric Steps. This is the second time it’s happened, and both times were after the coach had been in storage for awhile. The first time, we had it fixed under warranty. The repair was noted as “Cause: loose wiring. Correction: resecure wiring.” We’ve checked the wiring and it seems secure. Can’t seem to find any fuses for it. When we open the door, the light comes on, but then goes off again, and the step does not come out. Any help would be appreciated.
altlamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:34 AM   #2

Sometimes a "loose wiring" sign off is actually a "cannot duplicate". Sounds as though the steps may be binding due to whatever and is sufficient to keep the steps from extending. The steps light is supposed to come on when the steps are deployed and extinguish a short time thereafter (normal). The steps extend and retract till they encounter enough resistance in their travel (max extend/fully retracted or something in between) to cause a rise in current to a preset cutoff level (all normal). Knowing this it's quite possible your steps are binding due to rust/linkage tightness etc.. One thing you might try is with the screen door closed grab under the bottom step leading edge and pull outward while opening the screen door (must be done concurrently due to the current rise cutoff). It might be enough to actuate the steps if they are binding. Don't think you have a fuse issue because the steps light is coming on. My steps fuse is an inline 25amp connected directly to one of my coach batteries. My unit is not a Dynamax but the Kwikee steps are the same. A loose or a poor ground contact wire (12ga green wire in steps wire harness) also creates numerous issues. This may help.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:42 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Could be the motor is seized up. I think a few have had that issue.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:36 PM   #4

I have a 2014 DX3 & noticed a couple of times this summer when the unit was stored for a while w/ the stairs out, that the stairs wouldn't fully retract when I wanted them to. I opened & closed the entry door several times & finally the stairs fully retracted. I'm not sure what the problem was or if it will happen again.
Silver Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:39 PM   #5

Storage and depleted batteries can go hand in hand. Had a similar experience two weeks ago but, for us, it was dying batteries.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:29 PM   #6

My year old isata 3 step was acting up, I sprayed all surfaces with silicone spray and now operating much smoother.
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:36 PM   #7

See my report under sunseeker. My steps stopped working, oh my!
Dbrote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by altlamp View Post
I know this has been addressed on the Facebook page, but we can’t seem to figure out how to get our exterior step to come out. It’s Kwikee Electric Steps. This is the second time it’s happened, and both times were after the coach had been in storage for awhile. The first time, we had it fixed under warranty. The repair was noted as “Cause: loose wiring. Correction: resecure wiring.” We’ve checked the wiring and it seems secure. Can’t seem to find any fuses for it. When we open the door, the light comes on, but then goes off again, and the step does not come out. Any help would be appreciated.

I lubricant my steps at least once a month. If you haven't, then give them a squirt.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:52 PM   #9

If you have a volt meter you can test to verify the motor is getting voltage when the door is open.
If voltage is presence then the motor may be bad. I posted RR instructions after I replaced my steps motor.

Received and installed new motor.

For anyone that needs to remove the motor when steps are retracted:
- remove the clevis pin that attaches the mechanism arm to the stairs. To do this use long needle nose pliers to remove cotter pin in clevis pin, push up on stairs to release pressure and pull out clevis pin. Step will now open.
- disconnect motor wire
- remove three bolts holding motor to gear / arm mechanism. Note- There are a couple of washers between the motor and the gear. Pull out the gears and the pin in the housing.
- reconnect the stairs to the arm using the clevis pin and new cotter pin
- install the washers and gears on the motor
- insert the motor in the housing lining up the bolt holes. Install bolts
- connect motor wire
- test steps by opening door.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:07 PM   #10

I had lots of issues with my step, I found that the 2 prong plug on the motor does not make very good contact, I unplugged the plug from the motor and gave the 2 prongs a little twist so they would make better contact and plugged it back in. My step hasn’t missed a beet since, works great now.
Rondevue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:04 PM   #11

Thanks everyone!
altlamp is offline   Reply With Quote