Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2018, 08:12 PM   #1

Super C - why? Would you do it again?

Hello all - lurking here in your group, learning from all your posts. I have a simple question. My wife and I owned a 38 foot Berkshire diesel pusher for four years and loved it. We traded a few years ago for a 42 foot Landmark 5th wheel and absolutely love the trailer - hate the dually truck! I'm retiring (soon to 18 months) and we're really serious about going back to a motorhome. When glamping and trying to sight-see, the dually pickup is just a monster. We towed a Mini Cooper convertible behind the Berkshire.

Having learned things from each of our campers, I'm leaning towards a Super C. We had a couple maintenance issues in the Berkshire that required the bedroom to be dismantled to get to service the engine. A windshield replacement was over two grand and the one time it had to be towed required the drive shaft be removed.

Seems to me (the simpleton I am) that servicing a Super C should be easier - at least from an access standpoint. I like the idea of the traditional cab with doors, and am excited about going back to a manageable toad. I'm wondering why you all made the decision to go with a Super C and looking back, did you make the right choice. I'd be interested in any lessons you're willing to share. We are looking at the Dynaquest RB floor plan.

Thank you all - safe travels!
sold 2008 Berkshire pusher
sold 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible toad
sold 2015 Nissan Frontier toad
JBoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:22 PM   #2

We just purchased a Dynamax Isata 5 30FW. We love that it's only 32ft long, diesel, can easily tow my Jeep. It's short enough to fit in most state and Nat'l parks. 8k generator, continuous hot water, solar panels, 4x4. A little low on the CCC but we think it'll be fine for our needs. Just the two of us. Good luck with the search. We looked for over a year before we decided. Didn't really like the big windshield, bus feel of the class As. I like the protection of the motor and front end of the C in case of an accident.
SusieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:37 PM   #3

Super C - why? Would you do it again?

I’ve owned 2 A type before I got my DX3 RB. I wouldn’t own anything but a SuperC, you have already listed some of the the more important reasons, and in my opinion Dynamax is the best of the bunch.
dlfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoyer View Post
Hello all - lurking here in your group, learning from all your posts. I have a simple question. My wife and I owned a 38 foot Berkshire diesel pusher for four years and loved it. We traded a few years ago for a 42 foot Landmark 5th wheel and absolutely love the trailer - hate the dually truck! I'm retiring (soon to 18 months) and we're really serious about going back to a motorhome. When glamping and trying to sight-see, the dually pickup is just a monster. We towed a Mini Cooper convertible behind the Berkshire.

Having learned things from each of our campers, I'm leaning towards a Super C. We had a couple maintenance issues in the Berkshire that required the bedroom to be dismantled to get to service the engine. A windshield replacement was over two grand and the one time it had to be towed required the drive shaft be removed.

Seems to me (the simpleton I am) that servicing a Super C should be easier - at least from an access standpoint. I like the idea of the traditional cab with doors, and am excited about going back to a manageable toad. I'm wondering why you all made the decision to go with a Super C and looking back, did you make the right choice. I'd be interested in any lessons you're willing to share. We are looking at the Dynaquest RB floor plan.

Thank you all - safe travels!
To me it's all about chassis, every RV out there has a fridge, microwave, etc...but the ride there, the handling, the power, the safety, that's all driven by the chassis. I've been driving a RAM dually for 8 years now, very reliable rig so I know it pretty well. We recently decided to try a smaller Super C, began shopping and our research led us to the Dynamax Isata 5 DS. Everything I could ask for in size, great quality and components for the price and the coach is sitting on a diesel chassis I trust. Take a hard look at the DX 3 too, very nice. My 2 cents. Happy shopping.
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:20 PM   #5

I had a class A, nice rig but I like the Super C much better. As you said, easier to service myself, better front collision safety, more of a HD chassis, much higher tow capability in the DX3 (20,000 lbs), I like the way it drives (less floaty, less sway & lean in a crosswind).

With a class A you get the same amount of house room with a shorter wheelbase and zero engine noise. But in the DX3 I can't hear the engine going down the road unless the engine fan kicks on.
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:59 PM   #6

Towing just about any of the rigs drive wheels down will require the drive shaft or the axles to be removed to tow
Old 05-02-2018, 10:47 PM   #7

I loved my Country Coach Intrigue, but recently bought a 08 Dynaquest 34XL, immaculately kept with only 19,000 miles. Too beautiful to pass up with quality equal to my CC. I bought for several reasons. Much easier and relaxing to drive and maneuver, far far safer in a front end collision, easier to service with more shops willing to service it, my wife can drive it (like a big pickup truck, would not touch the CC), better access to RV parks, better mpg 10/12 vs 8, and lastly, the WOW factor, everyone loves it, more respect at the pumps from big rig drivers. Having lots of fun.
Jag73e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:57 AM   #8

We have a class A.... and I m so jealous of the safety with a class C.... you have air bags and a motor between you and a crash. Seems so much safer
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by colourful64 View Post
We have a class A.... and I m so jealous of the safety with a class C.... you have air bags and a motor between you and a crash. Seems so much safer
Not all the super C's have airbags, just the ones built on the Mercedes and Dodge, the Freightliners do not have air bags.

We purchased our third Super C, love the way it drives, easy to maintain, and every Class A we test drove felt like a boat on the road, I never felt comfortable. But that is purely a personal opinion on my part.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkjr72 View Post
Towing just about any of the rigs drive wheels down will require the drive shaft or the axles to be removed to tow
Didn't know that - thank you for the response.
sold 2008 Berkshire pusher
sold 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible toad
sold 2015 Nissan Frontier toad
JBoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:16 AM   #11
ETF

Our first rig was a 40' fifth wheel. I loved the fiver but the 1 ton dually was a nightmare as transport when we reached our destination. It was just too big to drive and park in some of places we like to go. Next we had a Forest River Forester. I liked it too. It was a good size for camping at 32' and for getting in to State Parks, etc. On the road it was terrible to drive. It was okay at low speeds but a white knuckle experience at anything over 50 mph and big rigs on the freeway blew you all over the place. It was even tougher with the toad. Not a relaxing experience.

The first time I drove a super "C", I was sold. Now that was what going down the highway was supposed to feel like. Our DX3 is still new and I don't have much experience with it but I had vetoed our summer trip to Colorado in the Forester but with the DX3, it's back on the agenda. I'm looking forward to it.
ETF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:51 PM   #12

Super C vs everything else

I'Ve had a regular C for several years and do like it. It's listed as 30 ft nose to tail. If you eliminate the engine area and the cab, then there is only about 24 ft of living area. Would think with the longer motor area of a Super C, the loss of space would be greater. If I ever upgrade it would to a short pusher. Test drove a 34 ft Pace Arrow and the ride was fine. Maintenance accessability is a problem on any RV.
billcoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:55 PM   #13
Commercial Member

The M2 windshield has been produced for over a decade. I think the last one we cracked, cost us about $200, installed. Mileage may vary of course.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:22 PM   #14

"""Having learned things from each of our campers, I'm leaning towards a Super C. We had a couple maintenance issues in the Berkshire that required the bedroom to be dismantled to get to service the engine. A windshield replacement was over two grand and the one time it had to be towed required the drive shaft be removed. """

This part says it all. I can get my M2 serviced at any diesel shop on the road without any extra trouble. It tracks perfectly, it isn't blown around by the wind. It is indeed one of the best purchases I have made. Literally every time I go somewhere in it when I am sitting inside enjoying a bourbon, I actually say out loud. Worth every penny, worth every issue. My Dynamax DX3 is an actual chassis with protective cab. If God forbid I ever get into an accident at speed, I am sure I will be more protected than in a class A as the Class A isn't a chassis. It is a box on a bus frame. I am a cop and have seen some accident in my 20 years. And most of the serious accidents involving class A's sheer the entire house off the top of the frame. With a Super C, that just isn't going to happen.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:34 PM   #15

Super C...yes!

As others have, I had a Class A bus for 19 years...waaaay too complicated! I have a 2015 Force 37BH. I do all the work myself...everything is easily accessible: wiring harness, plumbing, genset, modified the upper bunk into a workbench, added a better horn (the first one was embarrassing when sounded),
changed the engine oil/ filter myself. Lots of bunk space for guests and they are not sleeping in the living room. More maneuverable than a 40’ Class A and can tow 10,000lbs. Rides great, great visibility, engine is quiet until the supplemental engine fan comes on (first time it will scare you,) and excellent power/fuel burn.
I tow a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland and hardly know it is back there. It costs me 1.5mpg when towing at 70mph. Overall, if I really pay attention I can get 9.3 - 9.9mpg fully loaded.
Dynamax initial build quality leaves a bit to be desired in too many areas. It is cheaper and, accounting-wise better for the bottom line, to just get them out the door and deal with QC issues later. So, a word of advice...buy it at a LARGE dealership where you can camp for 10 days, at their expense, and drive it hard for those ten days. Work every system right to the max every day. Camp in a truck stop or rest area one night and run the generator hard with every system going. In short, a “shakedown cruise” if you will. I didn’t and MAXX spent a month at the factory having the aft stateroom rebuilt due to a factory-generated water leak. Then, don’t be afraid to speak up and speak out on issues you discover. I will say that Dynamax stood behind the coach after I showed them the leak but the leak was the result of “hurry up and get it out the door”. Inexcusable.
I don’t agree with buying a Class C for better protection in a wreck. Most older RV drivers are very careful. The accessibility of that Cummins IS great!
After 23 years of living in an RV I would say that I prefer the Super C over the bus.
Jetjockey6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:10 PM   #16
jkoenig24

YES! Go for a Super-C; MUCH better RV.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:16 PM   #17

So another question: given the number of people who have commented on here, with many years in Class A’s that have gone to Super C’s and prefer Super C’s, why do you think there are so few Super C’s usually see our camping?

At least around here, we are currently in travel trailer, but have 5th wheel or Super C on radar for next one. But last 3 years of camping around Iowa in CoE and KOA campgrounds, think we have only seen 2 Super C’s.

Biggest hold backs for us on Super C vs. 5th wheel are: lack of master bedroom space (in ones we have looked at so far), lack of good recliners setup for good TV viewing, and of course one more mechanical drivetrain to maintain. And of course cost of entry. Dynamax DX3’s we have looked at are probably close to $100,000 more than new dually truck and 35-38’ 5th wheel.

Don’t take as slam on Super C. I love them. Just wondering, especially compared to diesel pusher which will be comparable cost wise, that you don’t have more Super C’s out? And we have 2 Dynamax dealers and a Renegade dealer within hour or so of this area along with Jayco dealer.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:41 PM   #18

The reason we were late in getting into a Super C was lack of familiarity. Just happened to stumble on one at a local dealer. I liked it!
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:02 PM   #19

Another plus for the Super C is a factory cab AC system that actually keeps you cool.

2018 Isata 5 DS
sseaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:33 PM   #20

Because a Super C just looks Awesome.....