Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2016, 09:01 PM   #1

Switches on or off?

Are these switches on or off?

1. The top of the water pump switch is in as is the top of the water heater switch. I think they are in the off position but I am not certain.

2. What is the DSI / FLT LED between the switches?

3. The bottom of the tank heater switch is in but I think it is off.

Thanks,

Bobby
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pump and heater switch.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	125377   Click image for larger version

Name:	tank heater switch.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	125378  

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:07 PM   #2

Water pump and water heater are on. DSI is direct spark ignition for the propane water heater. It will come on as the heater fires up and then shut down.
Tank heater is off.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:12 PM   #3
Site Team

The DSI fault lamp goes to the propane side of your water heater. The Direct Spark Ignitor takes the place of pilot lights. When you turn on the DSI (which is how you turn on the propane side of the water heater), it makes sparks to ignite the propane.

You will hear a clicking sound at the water heater, as the DSI is making sparks. If the propane fails to ignite after a set number of cycles (usually three), the whole system goes into lockout mode and the Fault light stays lit, alerting you that the DSI failed to ignite the propane.

To reset the lockout, you have to turn off the DSI switch, wait a little, then turn it back on to start the ignition cycles again. Once the propane ignites, the lamp will cease to illuminate.

Sometimes this light will say "reset" instead of "flt" or "fault"...but it means all the same thing.

This light will also illuminate when you initially turn on the DSI in it's beginning cycles, until the propane ignites.

Is your DSI flt lamp lit up currently?

This thread explains it:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post327988

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Water pump and water heater are on. DSI is direct spark ignition for the propane water heater. It will come on as the heater fires up and then shut down.
Tank heater is off.
Thanks. I will label the on and off positios to avoid future confusion.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
The DSI fault lamp goes to the propane side of your water heater. The Direct Spark Ignitor takes the place of pilot lights. When you turn on the DSI (which is how you turn on the propane side of the water heater), it makes sparks to ignite the propane.

You will hear a clicking sound at the water heater, as the DSI is making sparks. If the propane fails to ignite after a set number of cycles (usually three), the whole system goes into lockout mode and the Fault light stays lit, alerting you that the DSI failed to ignite the propane.

To reset the lockout, you have to turn off the DSI switch, wait a little, then turn it back on to start the ignition cycles again. Once the propane ignites, the lamp will cease to illuminate.

Sometimes this light will say "reset" instead of "flt" or "fault"...but it means all the same thing.

This light will also illuminate when you initially turn on the DSI in it's beginning cycles, until the propane ignites.

Is your DSI flt lamp lit up currently?

This thread explains it:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post327988
Thanks for the explanation.

The water heater and the coach heater are in one unit called a Truma Combi. It is not a Suburban.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:07 PM   #6

2017 REV water heater controlled by the Tecma panel

The hotwater switch on the 2017 REV control panel serves no purpose. The Truma Combi hot water heater is controlled by the Tecma digital control panel, near the stove in my 24TB. The switch on the top of the Combi needs to be in the on possition as does the toggle switch on the propane fill panel. (Not documented.)
Mikecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecam View Post
The hotwater switch on the 2017 REV control panel serves no purpose. The Truma Combi hot water heater is controlled by the Tecma digital control panel, near the stove in my 24TB. The switch on the top of the Combi needs to be in the on possition as does the toggle switch on the propane fill panel. (Not documented.)
I have read in a couple of places that the switch in the control panel must be on and then the Truma control panel is used to set the hot water.

I have also been told what you are saying.

Time for a REV expert at Dynamax to chime in.

Old 07-09-2017, 03:27 PM   #8

Red switch must be on for Combi on propane

The red propane switch on the control panel does need to be on for the Combi to work. Or so told the Dynamax guy who couldn't help me get it working - I am not convinced, anyone knows how this thing works.

I just got home from a trip where we had hot water from the electric side of the Combi and no water leaks. But just as we were leaving the one-year-old CO/Propane alarm went off with the EOL alarm and wouldn't shut off my dog went ballistic each time it went off. Thinking it was the smoke alarm, I destroyed the horn on it then when it kept going cut the wires on the CO/propane alarm -time to call for warranty replacement.

Is this the RV life?
Old 07-09-2017, 08:16 PM   #9

Quote:
The red propane switch on the control panel does need to be on for the Combi to work. Or so told the Dynamax guy who couldn't help me get it working - I am not convinced, anyone knows how this thing works.

I just got home from a trip where we had hot water from the electric side of the Combi and no water leaks. But just as we were leaving the one-year-old CO/Propane alarm went off with the EOL alarm and wouldn't shut off my dog went ballistic each time it went off. Thinking it was the smoke alarm, I destroyed the horn on it then when it kept going cut the wires on the CO/propane alarm -time to call for warranty replacement.

Is this the RV life?
I am very familiar with dogs going balistic. Where does your dog stay when you are traveling? (I hope that question doesn't start a dog belted or not belted conversation).

During my PDI there was confusion about that red switch and the Truma control panel. I was eventually told that both had to be on.

I can try to get hot water either way for a definitive answer but I thought I got hot water out of the tap with both off. I never turned on the control panel for hot other than to see how to do so.
The red switch may have been in the on position last summer when I felt hot water or maybe it was the sun warming up that side of the REV and the water lines.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:46 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Low voltage will trip those detectors as well.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
I am very familiar with dogs going balistic. Where does your dog stay when you are traveling? (I hope that question doesn't start a dog belted or not belted conversation).

During my PDI there was confusion about that red switch and the Truma control panel. I was eventually told that both had to be on.

I can try to get hot water either way for a definitive answer but I thought I got hot water out of the tap with both off. I never turned on the control panel for hot other than to see how to do so.
The red switch may have been in the on position last summer when I felt hot water or maybe it was the sun warming up that side of the REV and the water lines.
Delco;
I know it is wrong but my two 90+lbs dogs hang out in the cabin behind the chassis seats, the old one sleeps on the floor the other spends his time on the sofa which has become his permanent personal property.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:10 PM   #12

Smile Thanks, but not low voltage

The alarm could have started around the time we unplugged the shore cord. But I just learned that my wife checked all the level lights before we left and all were good, we also had the generator on and the alarm is supposed to work down to 7 volts. After the hour ride home the batteries were about 13.5 volts. If I have another failure and can convince the captain to wait long enough, I'll test the voltage. I have spent so much time fixing stuff on this brand new machine I don't want to spend a lot of time on something I can fix or feel like I did, for $70.

Thank you to all for the good advice!
Old 07-10-2017, 09:27 PM   #13

Quote:
The alarm could have started around the time we unplugged the shore cord. But I just learned that my wife checked all the level lights before we left and all were good, we also had the generator on and the alarm is supposed to work down to 7 volts. After the hour ride home the batteries were about 13.5 volts. If I have another failure and can convince the captain to wait long enough, I'll test the voltage. I have spent so much time fixing stuff on this brand new machine I don't want to spend a lot of time on something I can fix or feel like I did, for $70.

Thank you to all for the good advice!
If the shore cord was still plugged in then the battery LEDS would show a full charge when checking.

Our 35 pound dog prefers to sit on my wife's lap while traveling but eventually gets on the floor in front of the passenger seat. I have no influence in dog matters so please, no one chastise me. I don't know how you manage with two dogs in a REV.

took a trip today. Full sun for over two hours.
Truman hot water on and red switch off. had hot water.
Red switch on and Truma off had hot water.
BUT, not a valid experiment as I suspect the heat of the road a radiation from the sun made the water hot. my rear tires were reading 115º. Bathroom was 105º.

I intended to use a thermometer to check the water temps but someone removed it from the RV. That someone likes to use my stuff and then abandon it wherever when she is done.

Recently all my rolls of electrical tape and my pruner are gone. Previous pruner was found in lawn several years after being left there by that someone, mostly buried bot with an inch of red handle poking up.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:24 AM   #14

Confirmed, red switch no workee

With the red switch on and the Truma control panel off there was no heated water. The red switch was on for close to an hour. The water temperature out of the kitchen sink tap was 80°.

So I don't know if the red switch has any function at all.

My conclusion is that only the Truma control panel will allow one to heat water.

My other conclusion is that on a hot sunny day I will get fairly hot water without turning on the water heater.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:28 PM   #15

It's all four!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
With the red switch on and the Truma control panel off there was no heated water. The red switch was on for close to an hour. The water temperature out of the kitchen sink tap was 80°.

So I don't know if the red switch has any function at all.

My conclusion is that only the Truma control panel will allow one to heat water.

My other conclusion is that on a hot sunny day I will get fairly hot water without turning on the water heater.
DB;
The way it was presented to me was the red switch is one of the four switches that must be activated: toggle on propane fill panel, red switch, valve switch on Combi itself, and finally the Truma digital control center. If you program the control center while standing on one foot. It should work.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:22 PM   #16

Quote:
DB;
The way it was presented to me was the red switch is one of the four switches that must be activated: toggle on propane fill panel, red switch, valve switch on Combi itself, and finally the Truma digital control center. If you program the control center while standing on one foot. It should work.
My propane toghle is almost always on.

The combi switch is always on.

So for the two above a non issue for me. I leave them on because I use this REV all year.

The Combi panel became easy to use once nice Truma girl gave me a lesson. I was having difficulty understanding the user manual. And the red switch in my guy does nothing but take up space.

Tags
switch