Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2019, 07:56 AM   #121

Bostrom seats

Have been following all the conversation regarding replacing standard seats with another brand. We are planning a long trip, probably about 6,000 miles next summer when DW retires. I have settled on Bostrom Wide Ride-Serta, Hi-Back, Dual Armrests, LoPro Suspension. I know I need to add an adaptor plate, PN6222217-001, as well. I'll be replacing these myself next March when we get the rig out of storage.

Some questions for those of you who have switched to either Bostrom or National seats:

1). Is there value in replacing these seats? Are the comfortable for you and do they provide better support than standard Freightliner seats? Do they reduce driver fatigue on longer trips?

2). If I add a swivel on the driver's side, is there any reduction in ride comfort? I'm thinking the swivel might reduce the effectiveness of the air ride. Your comments would be most welcome.

Thanks for your help.
JC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:23 AM   #122

1). Is there value in replacing these seats? Are the comfortable for you and do they provide better support than standard Freightliner seats? Do they reduce driver fatigue on longer trips?

2). If I add a swivel on the driver's side, is there any reduction in ride comfort? I'm thinking the swivel might reduce the effectiveness of the air ride. Your comments would be most welcome.

They are more comfortable for us, my legs and back seem to like them better.

I doubt swivel reduces ride comfort, but it adds some height, which could cut down on air ride. Shultz01 did find a seat with a much thinner swivel.

We dont use the swivels at this point, so I went without them on the replacement seats.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:44 AM   #123

Agree. We've enjoyed ours (same seats you mention with the same adapter plates) since installing last year prior to a ~4000 mile trip. We're always time constrained and tend to drive way longer each day than I see most folks reporting. For me personally, that's where the only real 'value' is.

I got rid of the swivels on both the driver and passenger seats when making the swap, so I can't comment on that question. I can say, though, that, for me, sitting lower is way more comfortable, and the visibility is greatly improved...especially on these cabover bunk rigs.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:12 PM   #124

Just ordered two of the Bostrom BOS 0704 ultra leather seats. As others indicated the base plates are a couple of weeks out. Hope it dosen't take toooo long. She assured me 3 weeks at the most. Seats were in stock. I'll let you know how it goes as I move along. Thanks for the feedback.

Slim
Old 10-22-2019, 03:21 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC70 View Post
Have been following all the conversation regarding replacing standard seats with another brand. We are planning a long trip, probably about 6,000 miles next summer when DW retires. I have settled on Bostrom Wide Ride-Serta, Hi-Back, Dual Armrests, LoPro Suspension. I know I need to add an adaptor plate, PN6222217-001, as well. I'll be replacing these myself next March when we get the rig out of storage.

Some questions for those of you who have switched to either Bostrom or National seats:

Thanks for your help.
You're probably not replacing standard Freightliner seats, you would be replacing what Dynamax installs at the factory, at least thats the case with DX3's. I went with the wide-ride Serta seats. IMHO they are more comfortable because they sit lower (even more without swivels) so I can now see out of the windshield and still use the air-ride inflation to soak up some of the bumps. They also have 2 arm rests so both arms are supported at the same level. This seat also has multiple lumbar and side support air operated functions. So if you have a skinny bottom and want to feel more "locked into the seat" you can inflate the side bolsters to become firmer and taller so you dont slide around in the seat.

The swivel has no impact on ride quality of the air suspension, it only impacts how high the seat sits. One additional comment for a previous poster: The swivels in the factory seats were pretty stiff to operate. I did not get a swivel in the new drivers seat, but did get one in the passenger seat. It is much easier to operate than the factory swivel.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:59 PM   #126

Thank you, gentlemen. Good info just as I expected. Hope I can reciprocate some day.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:41 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
1). I doubt swivel reduces ride comfort, but it adds some height, which could cut down on air ride. Shultz01 did find a seat with a much thinner swivel.
Shultz01 here...
The swivels on the National seats are much thinner...only an inch. I'm very happy with the seat height post upgrade.
Two notes on the Bostrom swivels--they put the handle on the outside which would be fine for a truck, but I like them on the inside for our motorhome application and National does it this way. I don't know if anyone else with Bostrom swivel had this issue, but when I tried one it wobbled. Also note that with a Bostrom you'll need to replace the entire seat--base and seat.
National allowed me to use the same base (Dynamax uses the National base) and opened up room in my budget for the Admiral CT genuine leather seat. Other than these differences, they are both very nice seat options--ultimately made by the same company, just different divisions.

For me the upgrade took care of the following issues:
1) No outside armrest
2) Seat was off center from the steering wheel
3) 1 & 2 led to fatigue on long trip within an hour or two
4) Not a lot of adjustability

Hope this helps.
Andy
shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:48 PM   #128

Big help. Thanks. Going to replace my seats around March of next year just after I take the rig out of storage. Probably order right after the first of the year. Planning about a 7,000 mile trip with fairly long runs so fatigue is always an issue. These new seats should help that. Thanks again.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:17 PM   #129

I'm wondering when the seat is reclined back, will the left armrest prevent it from reaching its 18° travel..?
Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
To be fair, I was pretty tired by the time I got them in, no air leaks, so I took the pic and left. I do believe the seats are mounted closer to the door though, I have about 1" between the left armrest and the door. I never had an issue with the old seats and the center console, and it didnt stand out that it was closer, but that was a quick glance. If I am out at storage this week I will get a pic inside for you.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:31 PM   #130

Not sure, havent tried it. I will swing by and see this weekend
Old 10-26-2019, 08:51 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF1945 View Post
I'm wondering when the seat is reclined back, will the left armrest prevent it from reaching its 18° travel..?
I can't speak to the Bostrom seats...I imagine there isn't. I haven't noticed any restrictions with the National seats. In fact, Dynamax has started using the National seats in addition to the National bases on the Force HD now. One thing to note--If you don't air the seat up a little the outside armrest will rub. That being said, the first thing I do when I sit down is air the seat up.
shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:39 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by shultz01 View Post
Here's the National Seating Admiral. This is what I'm ordering. Can't decide between black/tan or dark tan/tan.
What company makes this? I need to replace mine in our FR Georgetown XL 370.
John.Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote