Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2018, 01:02 PM   #1

Temperature monitoring system

Hello,

So we need a temperature and power out monitoring system for when we leave our dogs in the coach.

I have narrowed it down to Marcel since it is not wifi based and should work in most places. I assumed this cell unit would be more useful than wifi since who knows where we will have wifi, except our Dodge has it, and we have the T2 Winegard which we plan on installing the sim card thru ATT.

Anyone currently using Marcel and your review?

Anyone using something different, I am all ears?

Thanks
dannko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:22 PM   #2
Citrus County, Fl.

I use the Temp Stick by Ideal Sciences. It IS wifi based but I use my Verizon MiFi and never had an issue with a signal. There are no fees and tech support is in the U.S. and is fantastic. Operates off 2 AA batteries . You and anybody else on the list gets alerted by text or email if a pre set temperature is exceeded. There is also an app so you can check it at any time.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
I use the Temp Stick by Ideal Sciences. It IS wifi based but I use my Verizon MiFi and never had an issue with a signal. There are no fees and tech support is in the U.S. and is fantastic. Operates off 2 AA batteries . You and anybody else on the list gets alerted by text or email if a pre set temperature is exceeded. There is also an app so you can check it at any time.
I saw that one, but was concerned with the wifi, or would it drop from my hotspot. Does it alert you if that happens?
Old 11-11-2018, 09:11 AM   #4
Citrus County, Fl.

Yes, you will get an alert if there is a disconnect.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannko View Post
Hello,

So we need a temperature and power out monitoring system for when we leave our dogs in the coach.

I have narrowed it down to Marcel since it is not wifi based and should work in most places. I assumed this cell unit would be more useful than wifi since who knows where we will have wifi, except our Dodge has it, and we have the T2 Winegard which we plan on installing the sim card thru ATT.

Anyone currently using Marcel and your review?

Anyone using something different, I am all ears?

Thanks
Set your 'Auto Gen Start' to run the generator and the A/C if the coach gets hot (to the temperature you set), then you could not worry if it gets warm in there if dry camping. If plugged into shore just use the A/C thermostat. Scott Seaner on here has installed a very cool dog monitoring system in his I 5. There is an older thread on it, back in April maybe?
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseymyers View Post
Set your 'Auto Gen Start' to run the generator and the A/C if the coach gets hot (to the temperature you set), then you could not worry if it gets warm in there if dry camping. If plugged into shore just use the A/C thermostat. Scott Seaner on here has installed a very cool dog monitoring system in his I 5. There is an older thread on it, back in April maybe?
Yes I noticed Scott S. seems to be ahead of me and has done the identical things I am working towards.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:38 AM   #7
Home is where we park it

We installed a system called Wally. It notifies us via text and email if temperature exceeds our preset value or if the entry door is opened. It also allows us to monitor the temperature in real time from our phones. It supports multiple sensors and can sense humidity and flooding. It requires wifi so it is linked to our onboard Verizon mifi jetpack. We have been using it for about a year and it has functioned flawlessly. Provides great peace of mind when leaving our dogs onboard when we leave the coach.
markdebzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:53 AM   #8
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseymyers View Post

My reasoning for a system like this, along with monitoring for power outages, would also be in case the AC or furnace failed...which auto gen start would not give any alert from afar.

I have three cats and while last winter I was in the Colorado cold...I now live in the Arizona desert, where temps go over 115 degrees for days at a time during the summer.

Following this topic thread for ideas.

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdebzac View Post
We installed a system called Wally. It notifies us via text and email if temperature exceeds our preset value or if the entry door is opened. It also allows us to monitor the temperature in real time from our phones. It supports multiple sensors and can sense humidity and flooding. It requires wifi so it is linked to our onboard Verizon mifi jetpack. We have been using it for about a year and it has functioned flawlessly. Provides great peace of mind when leaving our dogs onboard when we leave the coach.
Cannot locate this unit, is that the brand or model?
Old 11-13-2018, 12:30 PM   #10
Home is where we park it

It is the brand. Check out www.wallyhome.com
markdebzac is offline   Reply With Quote