Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2019, 08:53 PM   #1

Tennessee side by side riding...

I know there's a lot of people on here that ride sxs's and was wondering if there was any interest in meeting up in TN or KY? We've been riding in that area for about 7-8 years and it is by far some of the best riding we do. (worth the drive since we live in NC)

Just wondering if there is any interest.

Mark
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:39 PM   #2

yes, but not sure I can do it this summer though. Our calendar is pretty full. I need more time to RV. lol
Old 01-10-2019, 08:45 PM   #3
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

I'd love to but don't personally own one.[emoji852]
But, when we're down around Severville & Pigeon Forge I see them parked all over. Can you run them on the roads and in the Smoky's? If you have a link so I can educate myself I'd appreciate it.
We have to work on getting a toyhauler first then maybe a side x side.
Thanks in advance.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:00 PM   #4

If you are near Johnson City, TN in northeast TN take a look at Tannery Knob trails. It is a new side x side track and trails and if not mistaken its around 5 miles. It just opened in the past couple of mouths.
2014 F350 / 2015 CC 36 CKTS
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:37 PM   #5

My RZR is registered in AZ and has motorcycle plates. Just can't drive it on the Interstate or US Hwys. Drive from our garage to the open desert 1 block for hundreds of miles. Also good riding is in Utah on the Paiute trail. About a 250 mile circle plus all of the cross trails for about 2200 miles of riding. Here's a good place for the RV. https://www.southfortyrvpark.net/ Trail goes up to 12,000 feet.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbes View Post
If you are near Johnson City, TN in northeast TN take a look at Tannery Knob trails. It is a new side x side track and trails and if not mistaken its around 5 miles. It just opened in the past couple of mouths.
5 miles? That would last less than 5 minutes. Lol. We ride on TWRA property. It’s roughly 186,000 acres. We’ve been riding there for a good many years and still come across trails I’ve never seen.

A routine ride for us is 60-100 miles. While I’m sure the trails there are nice, out rides are not crazy but definitely adventurous.

Mark
Old 01-11-2019, 11:08 AM   #7
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush View Post
5 miles? That would last less than 5 minutes. Lol. We ride on TWRA property. It’s roughly 186,000 acres. We’ve been riding there for a good many years and still come across trails I’ve never seen.

A routine ride for us is 60-100 miles. While I’m sure the trails there are nice, out rides are not crazy but definitely adventurous.

Mark
You're covering 5 miles offroad in less than 5 minutes. Dang! Slow down & enjoy the scenery. Can't see much @ 60 m.p.h.! [emoji6]
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:16 AM   #8

Our son likes the trail system in West Virginia. They take 4 wheelers & not sxs's.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:02 PM   #9

4x4 rides

Quote:
I know there's a lot of people on here that ride sxs's and was wondering if there was any interest in meeting up in TN or KY? We've been riding in that area for about 7-8 years and it is by far some of the best riding we do. (worth the drive since we live in NC)

Just wondering if there is any interest.

Mark
We are blessed here in Tennessee and SW Va. to have so many trails to ride and campgrounds to stay. on the net and Facebook search Tennessee anti Asphalt and Spearhead trails to meet and discuss the above. I was traveling for hours only to find one of the best not 30 minutes from my house, thanks to these people. Feel free to PM me for any additional help I may be.

PS Add turn signals and most are street legal with a license plate in Tennessee.
Mtnman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:14 PM   #10

Take a look at the Spearheads Trail system in southwest Virginia.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:39 AM   #11
Olemax

Anyone interested may want to check out Windrock Park in Oliver Springs, TN. The place is huge, with an on-site campground, and they rent Off Hwy vehicles for those who don't have or can't haul their own.
2006 Sierra 2500HD CC SB (sold)

olemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:21 PM   #12

We've ridden all over. Some we like, some not so much. Here's my thoughts of places...

Windrock... too much rocks. I'm a trail and hill climber. Rock crawling is better in a jeep but even on 40's and Dana 60's, I don't like rock climbing even in a Jeep.

Spearhead... been there several times. One of my friends Chris, was one of the guys designing the trails in the new Spearhead trails. The place we've stayed at is by the 3 story Walmart, I forget the name. Those trails are like Hatfield McCoy trails. They're okay trails but more for family riding... kinda boring. Very friendly people. Can drive on the streets.

Hatfield McCoy... too boring, even the outlaw trails. Nice people. Love to drive on the roads.

Pickett... Definitely the prettiest place you'll ever ride, fun too.

Trailend... My favorite place, lots of trails, fantastic people, reasonable price for passes.

Brimstone... HATE THE PLACE, HATE THE PRICES, HATE THE OWNER... guy has pulled a shotgun on our group in order to stop to check to see if we had passes.

Burning Rock... Open, closed, open but under different name. Moderate trails but EXPENSIVE for a pass. No thanks.

In the last 7 or so years, the best riding we've done is Trailsend and KY.

Just food for thought...
Old 01-12-2019, 10:38 PM   #13

Quote:
We've ridden all over. Some we like, some not so much. Here's my thoughts of places...

Windrock... too much rocks. I'm a trail and hill climber. Rock crawling is better in a jeep but even on 40's and Dana 60's, I don't like rock climbing even in a Jeep.

Spearhead... been there several times. One of my friends Chris, was one of the guys designing the trails in the new Spearhead trails. The place we've stayed at is by the 3 story Walmart, I forget the name. Those trails are like Hatfield McCoy trails. They're okay trails but more for family riding... kinda boring. Very friendly people. Can drive on the streets.

Hatfield McCoy... too boring, even the outlaw trails. Nice people. Love to drive on the roads.

Pickett... Definitely the prettiest place you'll ever ride, fun too.

Trailend... My favorite place, lots of trails, fantastic people, reasonable price for passes.

Brimstone... HATE THE PLACE, HATE THE PRICES, HATE THE OWNER... guy has pulled a shotgun on our group in order to stop to check to see if we had passes.

Burning Rock... Open, closed, open but under different name. Moderate trails but EXPENSIVE for a pass. No thanks.

In the last 7 or so years, the best riding we've done is Trailsend and KY.

Just food for thought...

Trails end is our favorite place to ride too. I don't have much time to ride lately.... I bought a new YXZ last July and it only has 20 hours on it. We took it up to Michigan and rode the Silver Lake sand dunes. One trip to Trails End and a trip with WEBEFINE to Black mountain KY. I will be interested if you get something planned, but I also just put my coach up for sale.... PS I also agree with you about the Brimstone management
Coolbaldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:06 PM   #14

Quote:

.Spearhead... been there several times. One of my friends Chris, was one of the guys designing the trails in the new Spearhead trails. The place we've stayed at is by the 3 story Walmart, I forget the name. Those trails are like Hatfield McCoy trails. They're okay trails but more for family riding... kinda boring. Very friendly people. Can drive on the streets.

The 3-story Walmart is in Grundy, VA. There are hundreds of miles of trail about 2 hours from Grundy, in Lee, Scott and Wise County.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrykalia View Post
The 3-story Walmart is in Grundy, VA. There are hundreds of miles of trail about 2 hours from Grundy, in Lee, Scott and Wise County.

Outlaw trails or part of a trail system?
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webefine View Post
Outlaw trails or part of a trail system?
Spearhead Trails covers a wide-array of area in the far Southwest Virginia. Grundy and the Coal Canyon trails (Grundy area) are just a small part of the Spearhead Trail system.

https://spearheadtrails.com/

I can suggest Natural Tunnel State Park for a place to stay that is in the middle of the areas. It is water/electric only, but has wonderfully clean, newer bath houses. If you have a smaller RV, (access road is NOT big rig friendly) the Flag Rock Recreation area has some fabulous views with electric only, but with water and a dump station available.

Yes, some of the trails are "family friendly" and some are more adventurous.