Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2019, 08:27 AM   #41
Commercial Member

Curse you FOURWHL and your tire pressure thread!!! As much as I tried to derail it, its the gift that keeps on giving. And I would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:26 AM   #42

I shouldlve known betterClick image for larger version

Name:	1323060938632.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	219207
Old 11-15-2019, 10:22 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
How many here have checked tires in the morning and had a tire come apart before noon. Nails and screws are everywhere and one could have been picked up within minutes of starting out. THAT is the main benefit of a TPMS.
I would bet none have checked their tire pressure before starting out on their drive to where ever they are going. Instead relying on their TPMS if they even have one!

I have sat in campgrounds and rarely have seen anyone check their tires. In fact, this year, I can claim 100% to nobody checking their tire pressure when they leave. In fact, in a rest area in Michigan, I was approached by another fellow RV asking what I was doing with my tires on my trailer as I was checking them!

I informed him I was checking the tire operating temps to see if there was a variance or Delta T of more than +/-4 deg's between the two tires on the same side of the trailer. He said I never thought of that or had been taught to do that! I have found several tire issues by doing this and changing out the effective tire in the rest stop.

I do this after every two hours or so, when towing on the road at every rest stop, we us

Just my humble opinion.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:45 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
I would bet none have checked their tire pressure before starting out on their drive to where ever they are going. Instead relying on their TPMS if they even have one!

Not sure what you’re saying here. It appears you believe that those of us who use TPMS systems only turn it on and then wait for a failure to occur. Every one I know who has the system checks it every time they start out on a trip. Seems that having a continuous display is better than just checking pressure at the start of the day and when at a rest stop.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:49 PM   #45
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Seems that having a continuous display is better than just checking pressure at the start of the day and when at a rest stop.
I'll believe that a manual check is as good as a TPMS when someone figures out the art of checking their tire pressure while in motion and rolling down the highway.

Since that's so hard, it'd be nice if there was a device you could attach that would do that check for you.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:26 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I'll believe that a manual check is as good as a TPMS when someone figures out the art of checking their tire pressure while in motion and rolling down the highway.

Since that's so hard, it'd be nice if there was a device you could attach that would do that check for you.

There are systems that will not only check the pressure while driving down the road but add air if needed:

Another version:

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:21 AM   #47
Viet Nam era Navy veteran

TPMS saved a tire problem on Jeep

The second time I towed the Jeep Commander with Fury, I had just installed a newly acquired TPMS system for Fury & the Jeep, "Papa Bear".

The trip was to Crossville, TN, Deer Run CG to attend this year's Heavy Duty Truck (HDT) East Coast Rally (ECR)

The month leading up to this trip in April, I had noted regular slight tire pressure losses in the Jeep's Right Front tire. The Jeep's TPMS system alerted to this and my regular gauge checks confirmed it. I aired up the tire each time it was low.

Although the pressure had been steady during the week before departure, the after market TPMS system soon showed the Jeep's RF tire was losing pressure on the road. I stopped 4 times on the 160 mile trip and aired up using Fury's air system when the tire got to 25 psi. Very fortunate for me that the hose could reach the Jeep's RF tire.

Aired up the tire again at the camp site, but it was flat the next morning. I took the tire in for service that day. After several tests and inspections there was no damage found but an air leak was at the wheel and tire bead on the vehicle side of the tire. The tire techs demounted the tire, buffed the wheel bead area and tire bead area and remounted the tire. No further problems with that tire, so I think the bead to wheel sealing was the cause of the loss of pressure.

TPMS system alerted me to a tire pressure problem while I could do something about it. I may or may not have been lucky enough to discover the tire issue during one of my frequent stops to check the towed vehicle. Without TPMS and my re-inflating the tire, the Jeep tire may have shredded or blown out. Would the Jeep have been damaged or disconnected from the coach had the tire blown? It's possible.

BTW, this was only my 2nd time to tow an automotive vehicle with a Dynamax. I towed RV trailers for 10 1/2 years without TPMS systems. Maybe I used up all my towing luck. I had one tire blow out (older tires) but never rolled a trailer due to a blow out. I've seen it happen, though.

Let's Roll !
Wolf Alaska

Fury, Dynamax Freightliner Columbia Grand Sport GT GC400GT
Papa Bear, Jeep Commander Overland
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:31 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
I shouldlve known betterAttachment 219207
LOL Brian. This made me spit out my coffee this morning! Hey, if anything, the derailment brings more attention to your original post just like real derailments bring attention to railroad safety issues. Oh, and some much needed morning entertainment for some of us.
I hope you're having wonderful and safe travels. Can't wait to hear about them next year when we are all together again.
shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:57 AM   #49

Quote:
Not sure what you’re saying here. It appears you believe that those of us who use TPMS systems only turn it on and then wait for a failure to occur. Every one I know who has the system checks it every time they start out on a trip. Seems that having a continuous display is better than just checking pressure at the start of the day and when at a rest stop.
My case in point see post three from the author of this thread called another tire-problem!

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...em-197934.html
Old 11-17-2019, 03:12 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
My case in point see post three from the author of this thread called another tire-problem!

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...em-197934.html
Not the first time I’ve heard (and seen) a Tire Minder failure. It does happen.

You can just drive along knowing you won’t get any indication of an impending or actual failure. I would rather have a high probability of knowing of tire failure as opposed to just waiting until something happens.

BTW, the TST served me well just recently.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ws-197765.html
Old 11-17-2019, 03:46 PM   #51

Quote:
Not the first time I’ve heard (and seen) a Tire Minder failure. It does happen.

You can just drive along knowing you won’t get any indication of an impending or actual failure. I would rather have a high probability of knowing of tire failure as opposed to just waiting until something happens.

BTW, the TST served me well just recently.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ws-197765.html
Big problem I see with the Tire Minder is it's blank screen most of the time you're driving.

With TST it's just like an oil pressure gauge, you can see the pressure going down and don't have to wait for the idiot light. That could amount to a LOT more warning.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:33 PM   #52
Retired Army Paratrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbutton View Post
Using the TST monitor is a no brainer, it works flawlesly, I should have gotten it earlier, I purchased it from Dennis & TecnoRV at the FROG ralley for our DQ & enclosed car trailer & it has provided piece of mind with real time data, I bairly look at it after "pre flight checks" & rely on the warning tone for low pressures. All RV'S should have TST monitors.
Nothing wrong with going to 10 tires & checking the pressures while on your knees if it makes you feel good but I prefer to finish my coffee while electrons are doing the job!
Hey David, Thanks for the shout out. I love hearing feedback on this product, I really think everyone should have one. Like Schultzy said (I think it was him) it is like having an oil pressure gauge, you can be aware of a problem before it becomes a disaster..
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:32 PM   #53

Amen, never leave home without my TPMS.. What a peace of mind..
Old 11-18-2019, 10:12 PM   #54

My tires say psi is 110 On the wall inside is a plate where Forest River says run it at 90 psi. Which is correct.
Tncatfanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:02 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tncatfanforever View Post
My tires say psi is 110 On the wall inside is a plate where Forest River says run it at 90 psi. Which is correct.
Ditto on the question.

According to the mfg you set your psi when tires cold. But is the 110 a max or starting psi? My tires gain at least 10 psi going down the road. So do we start at 110 or 90?

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:09 AM   #56

110 psi cold gives you the ability to carry the weight shown on the tire (ie, 3450 lbs at 110 psi). Tire pressures lower than that reduce weight carrying capacity. Pressure increases during driving are normal.

Old 11-21-2019, 11:21 PM   #57

Uhoh, this is turning into a real tire pressure thread now.

Best practice is to weigh each corner of your rig fully loaded like you would drive it on a trip. Then consult the tire manufacturers chart and use the PSI recommended for that weight. Set these to that pressure when cold. Some temperature increase is normal, especially in the summer.

Be sure and factor in trailer tongue weight on the rear axle.

This should give you the best ride, tire wear, and not being under inflated, which can cause tire failure.

OK, standing by for 100 more posts with 30 different opinions
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:22 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Randy View Post
Uhoh, this is turning into a real tire pressure thread now.

Best practice is to weigh each corner of your rig fully loaded like you would drive it on a trip. Then consult the tire manufacturers chart and use the PSI recommended for that weight. Set these to that pressure when cold. Some temperature increase is normal, especially in the summer.

Be sure and factor in trailer tongue weight on the rear axle.

This should give you the best ride, tire wear, and not being under inflated, which can cause tire failure.

OK, standing by for 100 more posts with 30 different opinions
Thanks. I have asked my family for a TPMS for Christmas. Hopefully I can get them all regulated and use the system for some peace of mind. I blew out a tire on my first class C, and on my old 5th wheel. I now have a rule of new tires every 5 years.
Tncatfanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:22 PM   #59

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
Ok read this ENTIRE post, and enjoyed some pics thanks fourwhl, but NO one has stated what TPMS they bought? Is there only one? DH has decided to get one and I am on here looking for your expert advice since i told him it would be here..............
Old 12-08-2019, 12:38 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgorving View Post
Ok read this ENTIRE post, and enjoyed some pics thanks fourwhl, but NO one has stated what TPMS they bought? Is there only one? DH has decided to get one and I am on here looking for your expert advice since i told him it would be here..............
Two that were mentioned are from Tire Minder and TST:
https://www.minderresearch.com/tireminder/

https://tsttruck.com/
HokieJack is offline   Reply With Quote