Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2019, 08:39 PM   #1

That's twice now TST has saved my butt

First time was on a trailer tire, so would've just been more of an inconvenience. Went to leave a couple of months from harvest host and one of the trailer tires had leaked from 80 down to 50. No way I would've noticed visually and even though we only had 3 hours to drive that day something surely would've happened driving it that low. Was able to top it off, get to our destination (while watching the pressure like a hawk while driving) and pull it off and get it replaced.

More recently though my inner rear dually leaked down to 60 from 105 during a 4 day stay. At first I didn't believe it was even possible over such a short stay but I diligently grabbed my gauge and verified it was in fact low. Topped it off and kept an eye on it. Weirdly it seemed to be holding pressure finew while driving but would leak down ultra slow. Had plans to stop at a tire shop when convienent but stumbled across the culprit this morning when I went to top it off and couldn't get my chuck on. The valve core had backed out so far it was about to come out!

Needless to day both of these situations would likely have resulted in a blow out. Now sure you can manually check pressures everytime you drive but when living fulltime that seems less than optimal. The TST system has more than paid for itself at this point
Old 11-09-2019, 09:00 PM   #2

I'm with ya brother saved our ass last summer coming out of Hot Springs. Took the Jeep wheeling and bummed around the state park a couple of days.. Got hooked up and headed out and within 10 miles started alerting that I had a tire going down on the Jeep.. It would have ruined the tire. Stopped and got it swapped.. Completely paid for itself right there.. I've been a paramedic for 25 years and have had RV's that entire time. Never gave it any thought until I responded to a Bus/RV that lost a steer tire at speed. Drug the coach down into the ditch and hit a huge oak tree killing the front seat passenger. I was sold right then...Ordered a TST the next week.

2016 Dynamax DX3 37BH
2015 Jeep JKU
jtad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:14 PM   #3

They do such a great job of averting sudden failures and even accidents that they were mandated for passenger cars and pickup trucks about 14 years ago.

Like I posted in another thread, mine has paid off half it's cost already if only considering the saved tire. Add the possible damage I avoided and it paid for itself several times over.

They should be at least a factory option but better yet, standard safety equipment.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:28 PM   #4

I thought I saw that dynamax is installing them at the factory now.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:53 PM   #5
Retired Army Paratrooper

It is an option available now on new units.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:13 AM   #6
Commercial Member

"takes a bow"

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
First time was on a trailer tire, so would've just been more of an inconvenience. Went to leave a couple of months from harvest host and one of the trailer tires had leaked from 80 down to 50. No way I would've noticed visually and even though we only had 3 hours to drive that day something surely would've happened driving it that low. Was able to top it off, get to our destination (while watching the pressure like a hawk while driving) and pull it off and get it replaced.

More recently though my inner rear dually leaked down to 60 from 105 during a 4 day stay. At first I didn't believe it was even possible over such a short stay but I diligently grabbed my gauge and verified it was in fact low. Topped it off and kept an eye on it. Weirdly it seemed to be holding pressure finew while driving but would leak down ultra slow. Had plans to stop at a tire shop when convienent but stumbled across the culprit this morning when I went to top it off and couldn't get my chuck on. The valve core had backed out so far it was about to come out!

Needless to day both of these situations would likely have resulted in a blow out. Now sure you can manually check pressures everytime you drive but when living fulltime that seems less than optimal. The TST system has more than paid for itself at this point
In reading this post by the OP, I don't see how regular monitoring of your tires would not have found these problems before starting out. All he is saying is that he is lazy and relying on the TPMS to do his work!

If used a very good air pressure gage and checked his tires before starting out on his towing trip he would have caught this difference in tire pressure on his trailer.

On the second issue he would have found this loose valve stem valve by trying to check his air pressure before leaving on his trip!

I take the time to check my air pressure with a gage each time before we leave when towing a trailer. Both tow vehicle and trailer are checked to insure correct tire pressure a the start of the day.

This is what is called dumbing down the motoring public and not learning to do proper maintenance on their vehicles.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
In reading this post by the OP, I don't see how regular monitoring of your tires would not have found these problems before starting out. All he is saying is that he is lazy and relying on the TPMS to do his work!

If used a very good air pressure gage and checked his tires before starting out on his towing trip he would have caught this difference in tire pressure on his trailer.

On the second issue he would have found this loose valve stem valve by trying to check his air pressure before leaving on his trip!

I take the time to check my air pressure with a gage each time before we leave when towing a trailer. Both tow vehicle and trailer are checked to insure correct tire pressure a the start of the day.

This is what is called dumbing down the motoring public and not learning to do proper maintenance on their vehicles.
No argument about "checking" tires before starting out for the day. One shouldn't totally rely on a TPMS for the basics any more than one should rely totally on an "Oil Level Monitor" on an engine.

The MAIN reason for having a TPMS is to let one know when a problem develops AFTER they hit the road. Even the most diligent person can pick up a nail or other road hazard item while driving down the road that can result in loss of air and tire failure.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:49 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Well, well well....

I'm not even sure why we use calculators when the Abacus was such a perfectly good tool.

Calling someone lazy because they use technology for what technology is intended for, is a little harsh.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Well, well well....

I'm not even sure why we use calculators when the Abacus was such a perfectly good tool.

Calling someone lazy because they use technology for what technology is intended for, is pretty sad.

I shall assume that you own no computer, smart phone and you bake your own bread.

Nothing new. Every generation has done it.

In some ways it's not all bad. Some primitive skills need to be encouraged so they don't totally get killed off by technology.. After all, we need to be able to continue on "even if the batteries go dead".

Old 11-11-2019, 11:18 AM   #11

TPMS has been mandatory in passenger cars since the end of 2007. There must be a reasonably good reason for that requirement.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:37 AM   #12

I spent 3 years without a TPMS doing this exact thing. Checking pressure before departing on any trip. Problem is that doesn't save you when enroute (first instance). The second instance was a short 4 day stay hence by disbelief something could've possibly happened. Regardless, when you're living and moving full time the definition of a trip tends to deviate from what it once was when it's an isolated vacation. I have a hard time believing the majority of full timers check pressure every time they move the coach. Especially if moving every couple days.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
I spent 3 years without a TPMS doing this exact thing. Checking pressure before departing on any trip. Problem is that doesn't save you when enroute (first instance). The second instance was a short 4 day stay hence by disbelief something could've possibly happened. Regardless, when you're living and moving full time the definition of a trip tends to deviate from what it once was when it's an isolated vacation. I have a hard time believing the majority of full timers check pressure every time they move the coach. Especially if moving every couple days.
The wise ones do.

Old 11-11-2019, 12:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroniekon View Post
TPMS has been mandatory in passenger cars since the end of 2007. There must be a reasonably good reason for that requirement.
because of gas mileage ! figure if people would keep the psi up in their tires they use less gas . unless they eat beans for dinner .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
because of gas mileage ! figure if people would keep the psi up in their tires they use less gas . unless they eat beans for dinner .
You'd think they would but actual studies proved otherwise.

A major tire company with numerous company stores across the country was enlisted in the past to measure tire pressures in every car that passed through their facilities and report them to the NTSB.

The results were astounding with the AVERAGE pressures being 10% below vehicle manufacturer's door sticker level. The majority of vehicles had at least one tire under-inflated by a smaller percentage and a large number were so under-inflated they might be considered "half flat".

Ever since the demise of Full Service Gas Stations people have been severely neglecting their tires. Back in the day the attendant would check them and fill as required.

Our dealers would give every tire customer a new pressure gauge and even teach those who were unfamiliar how to use them. Many of those same people came back later with tires destroyed by having been run flat.

The TPMS mandate grew out of the Firestone/Ford issue in the late 90's.

A tragic case of several "negligent" acts.

Poor manufacturing process for the tire
Improper pressure recommendation by the vehicle manufacturer
Failure of vehicle owners to maintain recommended tire pressure
Vehicle owners driving in excess of posted speeds on interstates

The whole shape of the tire/vehicle manufacturing process changed due to this event with the passage of the TREAD Act in fall 2000. Manufacturers had to gather failure data and report it to the Fed's, clear recall regulations, and the "Early Warning" system of TPMS was mandated although it wasn't fully implemented until 2012 model year.

FWIW, when someone has an ST trailer tire fail, it would do well to file a report/complaint with NTSB. Especially if damage or accident is involved.

All too often one who has this happen merely utters a few choice words, replaced the tire or full set with new, and then merely gripes about *expletive deleted* tires are so crappy.

If the NTSB gets enough complaints in their file about a certain tire they'll investigate and that tire may well be recalled. It's happened before with Chines Imports so what I'm saying isn't just wishful thinking.

Old 11-11-2019, 01:11 PM   #16
Retired Old Fart

You would think the tow vehicle manufacturers would market an up-fit option where a TPMS system on a trailer could be read and displayed on the in dash TPMS for the truck since they have been installing them for years now. Hmmmmm.... Might be a good opportunity for a android auto or carplay add on app here for an enterprising 3rd party also. I'm talking about an app that would display the status and warnings on the vehicles display, not a add on display like most TPMS units for RV's have. I've got enough screens attached to my dash already!

Or does this already exist and I just am not aware of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
FWIW, when someone has an ST trailer tire fail, it would do well to file a report/complaint with NTSB. Especially if damage or accident is involved.

All too often one who has this happen merely utters a few choice words, replaced the tire or full set with new, and then merely gripes about *expletive deleted* tires are so crappy.

If the NTSB gets enough complaints in their file about a certain tire they'll investigate and that tire may well be recalled. It's happened before with Chinese Imports so what I'm saying isn't just wishful thinking.
You know, I never thought about that. I'm was in the cuss a little and replace it category, now I automatically upgrade when buying.

If everyone who had a "china-bomb" fail, even just the ones with damage reported it, that would be a LOT of reports. With the current pressure on China to up it's game on trade, this might be the best time to expect the US Govt to actually do something about them.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #17

You would think I'd have learned by now not to start tire pressure threads.....
Old 11-11-2019, 01:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
You would think the tow vehicle manufacturers would market an up-fit option where a TPMS system on a trailer could be read and displayed on the in dash TPMS for the truck since they have been installing them for years now. Hmmmmm.... Might be a good opportunity for a android auto or carplay add on app here for an enterprising 3rd party also. I'm talking about an app that would display the status and warnings on the vehicles display, not a add on display like most TPMS units for RV's have. I've got enough screens attached to my dash already!

Or does this already exist and I just am not aware of it?

You know, I never thought about that. I'm was in the cuss a little and replace it category, now I automatically upgrade when buying.

If everyone who had a "china-bomb" fail, even just the ones with damage reported it, that would be a LOT of reports. With the current pressure on China to up it's game on trade, this might be the best time to expect the US Govt to actually do something about them.
To the first highlighted part, this would require standardization of wheel sensor data transmisson protocols. Different frequencies and data encoding is used for just about every company marketing a TPMS.

Second highlight------

Getting this to work requires "public participation". Nobody in the NTSB is going to go look for problems. They get enough come to them. What WILL get them to act is the size of the pile of complaints re: tires.

Of course there is another avenue. We DO elect people to represent us in our Federal Government. Nothing wrong with sending the one's elected to represent you a letter outlining your experience with a "Consumer Product". Add a few of those letters to the pile on the desk over at NTSB can, if nothing else, draw attention to the problem.

It's kind of like the Lottery. You may not win by just buying a ticket but it's a sure thing you won't win without one.

Old 11-11-2019, 02:02 PM   #19
Retired Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
To the first highlighted part, this would require standardization of wheel sensor data transmisson protocols. Different frequencies and data encoding is used for just about every company marketing a TPMS.
Yep, try to get Ford/GM/Chrysler-Fiat to agree on anything without being forced is a non starter.

I would think the better path time wise would be for a 3rd party app and sensor interface that would work with Android Auto or CarPlay. There are a lot of apps that pass through to the vehicle screen with that interface app running (like Waze, etc...). If a company had a receiver that would interface with the cell phones and work with more than one brand of TMPS transmitter, the rest is just software. Or even if it was brand specific, TireMinder and other TPMS aftermarket companies need to consider this as an add on option. I would be all over it and I suspect a lot of other owners would be also.

Sounds like an opportunity for some young genius to me!
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Well, well well....

Calling someone lazy because they use technology for what technology is intended for, is a little harsh.
Well said! BRAVO!

I will say that I don't manually check tires before or during trips. I have a TPMS on all my tires and I let it quickly and efficiently tell me the tire pressures and temps before and during the trip. It's not lazy. Now yes I do manually check the tires for issues (e.g. tread separation, cuts, bulging, etc) but no need to take out a tire gauge.

Off to start a "which oil is better" thread.....