Old 03-01-2016, 12:43 PM   #1
GM

Tire Pressure & Ride Quality (Sorry, long winded)

A retail customer had brought up some questions about how to improve ride quality on a Force. A retail sales person had said that an upgrade to a Force HD or DX3 would be the answer. The issue is...what does one assume constitutes a good ride quality? There are at a least (3) individual factors.
Comfort (how soft or firm does it ride)
Handling (how well does the unit track and maneuver)
Performance (how well does it pull).

Obviously they all play a part, but until we get a specific idea of which one you're trying to affect (in this case we did), there are various solutions.

In this case it was about comfort. While an upgrade to larger chassis wouldn't hurt (who doesn't love more power), you could end up with the same issues if you don't address the root cause. According to Freightliner and my test drivers of 17 years. 98% of ride comfort complaints are solved through tire pressure adjustment. (assuming your air bags are adjusted properly and not artificially inflated for ride height which is the other 2%). Freightliner assumes maximum loaded vehicles and so sends them out with 110 psi. Forest River as a CYA assumes maximum load and also suggests 110psi. However, the tires should be adjusted according to your actual load and not your "maximum load". Otherwise it can ride like a wagon. Here is a link to the Michelin site on what they should be based on loads. Michelin RV Tires | View Michelin RV Tires load and inflation tables for motorhomes and recreational vehicles. | Michelin RV Tires

2nd is handling. This came up from this customer who talked to a Renegade dealer that said they thought the renegade had a better ride quality because of their longer wheel base. That also does not fix the comfort, but implied better handling. You can get a lot of opinions about the perfect wheel base to length ratio, anything under 50% they tell you is dangerous. 53-57% was good. 58% and up is Excellent. While that may be a good rule of thumb that is also not the whole story. Balance is important. If your wheel base is too long, not only does that make for a terrible turning radius, that can also put too much weight on your front axle. Unless of course you're towing 20,000 lbs every day. Too short and the vehicle can wander. I can't speak for what everyone else does, but we try and stay around that 57% sweet spot. You can turn ours around in a cul-de-sac without jumping the curb. The balance, front to back, right to left is dialed in and we align every unit AFTER the entire upfit is completed. With that ratio, the unit should track nicely when towing a heavy load or not towing a heavy load. We very rarely, if at all, hear about handling issues.

Lastly is power. This is the easiest one to fix (sort of) and predominately what people complain about with "ride quality". We had some customers recently that traded in a big diesel pusher to downsize to a Seneca. Drove it for 200 miles and hated it. Traded in again for a DX3 and were ecstatic. In their case, the ride quality improved dramatically with increased power.

Anyway...my point is, before you start changing things up. Be very clear about what "ride quality" means to you. While I would love to sell a new unit and claim "more torque" is the answer. I would much rather you get the right motorhome, than just another motorhome.

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:33 PM   #2

Good advice BC. I especially like the tire PSI info as I am sure most Moho owners have not weighed their Moho or adjusted the psi.
Hope this doesn't go the way of most tire threads.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:04 AM   #3

I personally like the way my DX3 rides, handles and drives. As a former Blue Bird Wanderlodge owner with thousands of miles experience I was impressed with the DX3. Yes tire pressures are very important in ride. I inquired in another post as to what some are running, surely not max 110psi.

Scaling your weight is important. I plan on that next week before leaving for 3 months. Now, as far as wheelbase. Imo, with a long wheelbase a tag axle is essential in weight distribution. Some tags are adjustable to shift weight either to front axle or drive axle which is a nice feature if, you knew what and how to do it properly. Additional air springs made a hugh difference as well.

So far, I find the DX3 to have found that "sweet " spot as Mr Clemens suggested. Corners nice, turning radius not too bad. OVERALL one well thought out plan. Keep up the good work.

I did notice a few built with tags sitting on the lot. Was told there were not beig made again. .
Old 03-03-2016, 02:06 PM   #4
GM

I wish we could "star" or "like" posts here. Admin?
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
Old 03-03-2016, 02:27 PM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

I can like a post in the Tapatalk app.. Not sure what it does though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:28 PM   #6
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I can like a post in the Tapatalk app.. Not sure what it does though
Other Tapatalk users can see the like, but it doesn't carry over to the web version of the forum.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:33 PM   #7
Who Dares, Wins

Roger, thanks. I do know the Web site have star ratings as well. But I do jot use them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:31 PM   #8
Cutty

My 2007 Chev suburban says to have 35lbs PSI for standard tires. I bought TOYA 10 plys for safety and the ride is not real good until it warms up the tires and they stop bouncing. But the gas mileage went out the door. Why such a change in gas mileage? The tires call for a much higher PSI that 35lbs that the dealer put in them. If I raise that up will my mileage get better and will the car go nuts because it is higher than it calls for.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:50 AM   #9
Blue Moose

Good Article, 3 quick questions.
1. if I have tags, do the tags have the same pressure as the duals?
2. if I have less pressure than recommended what does it do to fuel miles?
3. lastly, less than max pressure, what does it effect tire ware?
Old 03-06-2016, 01:13 PM   #10
GM

1. I think at the end of the day its still all about load at the tire, so what weight the axle is carrying.
2. Anytime you increase "rolling resistance", like under inflated tires you reduce fuel economy. But I'm not sure you would see a HUGE difference unless you're putting up a tone of miles.
3. Overinflated or under inflated is going to cause uneven tire wear.

Tags
tire, pressure, quality