Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2018, 11:43 AM   #41
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VE2PUI View Post
When I bought the RV I actually own (Georgetown 378) I also bought a TPMS model TMG400C-6 from Tire Minder which I paid 400$ CDN for it. I calibrated the system as per the instruction booklet. I left Montreal when the temperature was about 15°F. On my way to Florida I had about 5-6 false alarms. So I recalibrate when I was parked in Florida. No problem whatsoever on my way back from FL. No problem during the next summer. The next winter, when the temp was about 0°F, I left for Florida and the temperature sensor gave me a reading of 100°F on the front right tire. Obviously something is wrong with this system. So after arriving in FL, I removed all the sensors on all the wheels and almost all of them had a cracked cap. (So good for the material quality...)
So now I check my tire pressure every morning before driving and I have a TPMS for sale at a rock bottom price.

Fyi Tire Traker brand has Lifetime warranty. I needed replacement under the battery cap "O" rings which they gave me for free.

Be sure you use metal valve caps with O rings to seal the valve stem as I have seen valve cores stick after pressure check and the tire leaked down.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 03:30 PM   #42

The model I have in hand (TMC400C-6) has a clear quote on the back of the box: "One year warranty". A couple of weeks ago, I contacted them via their internet site describing my problem: they didn't even bother to answer my message...
VE2PUI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:03 PM   #43
ENE

I have the TST TMPS and they will track you down if you say you have a problem via forms or facebook. I have complained in the past about minor issues that were more my problem then theirs and they would contact me out of blue to help. I have shipped UPS 2 air and receive my parts back within 2 days of them receiving them and repair.
ENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:16 PM   #44
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VE2PUI View Post
The model I have in hand (TMC400C-6) has a clear quote on the back of the box: "One year warranty". A couple of weeks ago, I contacted them via their internet site describing my problem: they didn't even bother to answer my message...

Did you use this email address Info@tiretraker.com, or by calling at 866-200-9773 ?

The TT400 is an older model w/ 1 year warranty I believe
The TT500 has been out for over a year and it has a Lifetime warranty. Uses the same sensors.

My plastic caps are still in one piece after 9 years. Only need finger tight as the O ring provides a good seal of the battery chamber. The sensors themselves only need 1/4 to 1/2 turn after you hear the air leak stop when installing. At least that is what i have done for 9 years.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 10-26-2018, 05:44 PM   #45

tire pressure monitoring system

Also, today when i was at a local GCR dealer (spending $4,000 on loader tires), they more or less advocated for flow through if using "Alligator" brand, made in Germany. they said many truckers have very few, if any problems if using that brand.
Dick Skeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:15 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
many first generatioOE Tpms were aluminum stems which corrode.

Aftermarket valve stems are brass or nickle plated brass and are less likely to corrode but still possible.

However a little "Never Seize" on threads can slow or prevent corrosion.

I have been using the same set of 6 external sensors from Tire Traker since 2009 when I purchased the TPMS at an RV event directly from Traker people. No corrosion on my bolt in metal valves (Nickel plated so are silver looking) brass is redish/yellow on my 2008 and 2016 Class-C MHs.

Good to hear that from you. Thanks.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:39 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
I am the one who reported the corrosion problem. My TST are like yours, they appear to be brass. The mechanic told me it was corrosion. All I know is that two of the flow throughs became fused to the valve stems of my ProMaster wheels.
Both were on the front wheels. One stopped sending a reading and TST suggested changing the battery. That didn’t help. They also said that my valve might need adjustment.

I also didn’t like that it could take ten minutes to get readings from the tires. I have the older monitor. From reading here it seems the new monitor is a nice improvement.

Next time I will get non flow through so I will be forced to remove cap more often.

I didn’t use the antitheft feature, too much aggravation .
Dissimilar metal threads will seize up.

X2 on posts 36 & 40 concerning anti-seize. The instructions for my EEZ TIRE TPMS recommended applying a small amount of anti-seize to the valve stem threads to help prevent the issue you experienced.

I did this and have had no issues in almost 2 years. Granted, I don't have flow through, but I also haven't needed to remove the sensors more than twice per year and they unscrew easily.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:45 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk S View Post
Dissimilar metal threads will seize up.

I haven't seen it mentioned in the comments but the instructions for my TPMS recommended applying a small amount of anti-seize to the valve stem threads to help prevent the issue you experienced.

I did this and have had no issues in almost 2 years. Granted, I don't have flow through, but I also haven't needed to remove the sensors more than twice per year and they unscrew easily.
I don’t recall seeing anything about anti-seize in the TST instructions.

So without starting an arguement in this thread, which version of anti-seize should I buy?

Old 10-29-2018, 10:53 PM   #49

Quote:
I don’t recall seeing anything about anti-seize in the TST instructions.

So without starting an arguement in this thread, which version of anti-seize should I buy?
I purchased a small tube at an auto parts store that will last forever. A little bit goes a long way. I believe the brand was Permatex. The material itself is gray/silver in appearance.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:54 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk S View Post
I purchased a small tube at an auto parts store that will last forever. A little bit goes a long way. I believe the brand was Permatex. The material itself is gray/silver in appearance.

A small tube will probably last me several lifetimes.

Thanks

Old 11-04-2018, 04:58 PM   #51
Commercial Member

Quote:

Thanks

^^ X2 Yup

The little bit is probably 1/4 to 1/8 the size of a pencil eraser. It doesn't wash off or evaporate
Old 11-06-2018, 10:35 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
^^ X2 Yup

The little bit is probably 1/4 to 1/8 the size of a pencil eraser. It doesn't wash off or evaporate
OK, thank you. Now I don’t have to wonder about the correct amount.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:17 AM   #53

Quote:
OK, thank you. Now I don’t have to wonder about the correct amount.
I should have been more specific. I had to transfer the small blob that burped out of my tube to a piece of paper. It was enough for 10 sensors and then some but they sure came off easy the following year.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:37 AM   #54

Quote:

Thanks
Good info. But.......where do I sign up for these extra lifetimes????????

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:14 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Good info. But.......where do I sign up for these extra lifetimes????????

I could tell you but we worry about the regeneration facility getting a waiting list.

Tags
pressure, tire