Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2018, 08:17 PM   #1
2018 Isata 5 30FW

Toilet paper build up

I am starting a new thread regarding the toilet issue in the Isata 5 30FW because the thread that LANDKKNIGHT started on 5/5 got to be 14 pages long and was covering different issues the last few pages. I parked my motor-home after the maiden voyage on May 7th and was able to just get back to it today. When I parked it I noticed water and bits of toilet paper floating just below the ball in the toilet.The water eventually went down and I closed up the motor-home until today. Then I read with extreme interest all the messages concerning this problem and was hoping my coach was okay. There is solid paper about 18"-22" from the ball. I read all of the prior thread and learned that perhaps there wasn't enough water being used for each flush. I will monitor that on the next trip. I have a couple of questions for now. One: I looked from underneath and could not see the pipe from the bend just below the toilet ball, across the width of the trailer where it connects to the tank. All I see is the holding tank for the black water. The tank does look like it is a little convex. How can I tell if the pipe has enough drop? Question two: How can I get the paper to pass through the pipe? Plunger? Push it through with something? Thanks.
Space Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:38 PM   #2

Do not use a plunger as it can and will cause damage to your toilet. Try something like this .................................

https://www.campingworld.com/flexibl...MaAmh2EALw_wcB

Good luck

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:40 PM   #3

Ok, you must have done a lot of reading .

If this was my problem I would fill the tank all the way up with a garden hose through the toilet and dump. If that doesn't clear it after let's say two attempts, I would fill the black water tank one more time and attach a paint mixer on an extension rod on my power drill, carefully stick it into the tank through the toilet and go to town, making sure not to come in contact with the bottom of the toilet. However, this will only work if the toilet drains straight down into the tank.
For the future: don't skip the TP use less and use more water when flushing.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:30 PM   #4
Just as confused as you

It sounds as though you have a pipe with an elbow in it and the pipe empties into the end of the tank instead of dropping straight down. If this the case you must make sure to use plenty of water when flushing the toilet.

You might have to get a Auger snake to clean it out. The one in the second pic will be the cheapest to buy.
Attached Images

Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:37 PM   #5

Definitely fill her about 3/4 of the way up and let it sit for an hour and then take it for a test drive to get stuff sloshing around. Dump and repeat if necessary. Another suggestion (which isn’t popular with a few on here) but if your wife’s arm will fit down the hole then you could hand her a putty knife and let her go at it....lol
Locky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locky View Post
Definitely fill her about 3/4 of the way up and let it sit for an hour and then take it for a test drive to get stuff sloshing around. Dump and repeat if necessary. Another suggestion
Just thinking about it, when filling with water, I'd consider adding a lot of Calgon, power or liquid and a bunch of Dawn. Then take if for the drive...

I'd pass on the second suggestion - if you want to live a LONG and HAPPY life...
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Just thinking about it, when filling with water, I'd consider adding a lot of Calgon, power or liquid and a bunch of Dawn. Then take if for the drive...
adding 20# of ice cubes helps in the scouring action while driving...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:11 PM   #8

Like SailorSam wrote, use Calgon and Dawn. We use these two products before we use the toilet.
Ram 2500 diesel 4x4 / FR Surveyor 251rks
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:39 AM   #9

I have a Georgetown 335 with a Dometic but don't know what you have in your coach. If it is the same unit, you are going to continually have this problem no matter what you do since there is a slight constriction where the mechanism is between the "ball" and the bottom of the toilet where it attaches to the flange.

A plunger won't hurt it but of course you have to hold the foot pedal down when you use one or use a want to force the paper past the mechanism. I have tried more water, less paper, single ply paper...everything. It will still happen.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:01 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cowboy View Post
I am starting a new thread regarding the toilet issue in the Isata 5 30FW because the thread that LANDKKNIGHT started on 5/5 got to be 14 pages long and was covering different issues the last few pages. I parked my motor-home after the maiden voyage on May 7th and was able to just get back to it today. When I parked it I noticed water and bits of toilet paper floating just below the ball in the toilet.The water eventually went down and I closed up the motor-home until today. Then I read with extreme interest all the messages concerning this problem and was hoping my coach was okay. There is solid paper about 18"-22" from the ball. I read all of the prior thread and learned that perhaps there wasn't enough water being used for each flush. I will monitor that on the next trip. I have a couple of questions for now. One: I looked from underneath and could not see the pipe from the bend just below the toilet ball, across the width of the trailer where it connects to the tank. All I see is the holding tank for the black water. The tank does look like it is a little convex. How can I tell if the pipe has enough drop? Question two: How can I get the paper to pass through the pipe? Plunger? Push it through with something? Thanks.
Which coach do you have? That thread was on the 30FW...but it does not sound like that is what you have. Lots of water for #2 is always key....you can leave it low for #1. but if #2, fill the bowl up. Keeps the bowl clean as well.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:03 AM   #11

I will admit... 'I am a heavy 2ply paper user'... there, I've said it.

However, I have never had a paper plug or a poop pyramid.

My practice has always been to add lots of water to the bowl 'prior' to sitting... this adds lots of force down any angled pipe leading into the tank.
I always hold the pedal down several seconds after the flush so I can hear it running into the tank.

My monitors work, they may not be 100% accurate but they give me an estimate of level.
At 3/4 full is when I will consider dumping the black tank.
Before dumping the black tank I will give a good squirt of Dawn dish soap down the toilet then top off the tank with water via the black tank rise connection...fill it right up.... while the sprayer is still going then I will pull the valve open.

If you do not have a built in black tank rinse spray either use a hose or buckets to top off the tank.

Try to time your black tank dumps when the grey tanks are full or near full.
As you see , through your clear elbow, the water flow starting to slow...then pull open the grey tank valves to add more force and water to rinse the stinky slinky....also helping to prevent any clogs in the hose.

As for the clog in the sloped pipe between toilet and tank there must be some restriction or a reduction in pipe size... when the pipe is clear and clean try finding some one with a remote video , Roto Rooter usually has them, so you can have a look down there.
If there is a pipe reduction I would certainly change that to all the same size from toilet to tank.

Hope this helps
Good Luck
Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:50 PM   #12
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Don't put paper in the toilet. Problem solved.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:00 PM   #13

the type of toilet paper you use makes a huge difference. We have had much better luck with RV toilet paper single ply from Walmart. Much better than supermarket options.
2018 Vanleigh Vilano 375FL
www.Wind-seeker.com/vilano
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:15 PM   #14
2019 Renegade Verona LE

Commando Black Tank Cleaner, 4 Pack

My son bought a used DP and didn't dump after his first trip until two weeks later. It was a mess. I bought some Commando Black Tank Cleaner and dropped 2 of the pouches into the tank. He then drove it for about six hours and then dumped the load. Repeated the same treatment on the way home. It appears to have solved the problem. Kids.
CaboSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:35 PM   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Dumping black tank

Dumping Black and recharging for use.

My unit is quite different than the units you fellows have. But here goes what I do.

When start on a trip, We start with 5-7Gallons of water in the black tank Usually to the 2nd light full. I also add 2-3 DISHWASHER PODs (CHEAP STUFF)
to the bowl with about 1/2 full of water, let dissolve then dump bowl into tank.
I also add the "ORANGE" (makes smell good & helps to breakdown "STUFF" in tank) pod to the soap pods. As you drive this mixture cleans the inside of the black tank. We have a small "STAINLESS FLIP LID trash can in the toilet to dispose of the TOILET paper. In side the small trash container is a small plastic bag that collects the paper. we dispose this bag at least twice a day.
I have test SEPTIC TANK SAFE PAPER to see how soon it will break down. Most Toilet safe paper will dissolve in water in 2 hours. We use a pretty heavy 2 PLY paper Walmart brand. It will break down and dissolve in about
20 Minutes. I know using the trash container sounds gross but I have never had a black tank problem. This process keeps the probes clean also. I never leave on a trip or a camp ground without dumping the black tank and recharging with the process I have listed above. When dumping the black tank, I also flush with the outside connection with hose connected, I flush
until it runs clear, I even fill tank 1/2 -3/4 full when flushing before opening the dump valve.
GOOD LUCK.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2022 51 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:56 PM   #16

This post is copied , Peggy is the Guru of RV and marine sanitation.

No, C.P. is NOT just a mild soapy cleanser...it's a bio-active cleanser that destroys odor on contact and "eats" scum on bowl walls. You only need to squirt it under the rim and walk away to come back to a clean bowl.

That also makes it the best sump and drain cleaner on the planet, 'cuz those enzymes also "eat" hair, soap scum, body oils, galley grease etc that clog up sumps and sink drains. A couple of ounces down the shower or sink drain when it can stand at least overnight--'cuz the enzymes need time to work--is all that's needed.

Fwiw, I'm intimately familiar with C.P. because it's part of the product line my own company developed and sold to Raritan in 1999.

Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since 1987
Author "The NEW Get Rid of Boat Odors -
A Guide To Marine Sanitation Systems and Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Bo...dp/1892399784/

"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
https://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-B...dp/1892399784/
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:18 PM   #17

In reading all these posts, people refer to calgon and dishsoap often. Does it make the septic system run smoother? How much of each product? How often would you use it?
Old 05-18-2018, 02:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cowboy View Post
Landkkight is different than yours. You have 2- 45 degrees fittings and a length of pipe into the tank. She has a straight shot right into the tank. she has only 2" between the pipe and the bottom of the tank. I have the same piping as you do. I have been using mine for 2 years 4 months each year. Using single ply standard Paper from Walmart. fill the bowl first just like at home. Wipe and flush. Just like at home. No problems. The code states 1/8" per foot running downhill You can't determine how far the pipe goes into your tank without removing it.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:23 PM   #19
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAD-on the road again View Post
In reading all these posts, people refer to calgon and dishsoap often. Does it make the septic system run smoother? How much of each product? How often would you use it?
Here you go... it's called the GEO method.

The GEO Method

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:24 PM   #20

Cheap borescopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
As for the clog in the sloped pipe between toilet and tank there must be some restriction or a reduction in pipe size... when the pipe is clear and clean try finding some one with a remote video , Roto Rooter usually has them, so you can have a look down there.
You can get an inexpensive borescope (or endoscope) that works with your cellphone or laptop for less than $10 on eBay or Amazon.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote