Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2018, 11:09 AM   #1

Tongue weight question

I noticed a couple of differences in the 2019 M2 based model brochures regarding the axles and hitch specs:
  • The drive axle is showing a gear ratio of 4.56:1 now vs. the 4.78:1 they've always shown in the past.
  • The tongue weight has been reduced from 3000lbs to 2000lbs.
It looks as if the new M2's are possibly shipping with different rear axles than in the past (although with the same capacity), and I was wondering if the reduction in tongue weight was related to that, or possibly to a new hitch being used, or if it was Dynamax changing their guidance on acceptable tongue weight on these models.

With the recent discussion regarding exterior cracks/damage due to exceeding the tongue weight, I thought I'd ask. I've got a new trailer setup that we're finishing up this week and if the guidance is to not exceed 2000lbs of tongue weight, then I want to try to meet that.

Thanks,
JT
Old 08-22-2018, 01:23 PM   #2
Commercial Member

1. I do think we're getting a different brand of axle. That has nothing to do with the tongue rating.
2. The tongue weight in the brochure for 2017 has always said 20k hitch and 2k tongue. In most cases, we always figure 10% for the tongue weight. 10k hitch, 1k tongue. When I was at Sunseeker, 5k hitch was 500lbs tongue. Although when we went to a 7.5k hitch, it stayed a 500lbs tongue. The 2018 DX3 brochure never actually called out the tongue weight, but the supplier stamped the hitch 20k and 3k. So we're really just reiterating what was in the '17 brochure and what it should always have been. No changes really.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:56 PM   #3

Got it...I think the 3k stamping on the Curt hitch had me confused. I'll shoot for 2k max.

Thanks!

Tags
tongue weight, weight