Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2018, 05:00 PM   #1

Trash Can Accessibility, Isata 5 35DB only

I love the concept of having the trash can under the counter and have the cut-out in the counter top to just drop trash through and into the trash can below. In the 35DS, that trash can would live next to the entry door for the coach and then there is a lower cabinet door to simply pull the trash can out when it’s full. Easy peasy!

Now, in the 35DB, the kitchen is in a different place (as seen in the picture below). The arrow I have drawn points to the cut-out for trash. The cabinet door I have circled _should_ in theory be the access door to remove the trash can when full. Our 35DB came with a trash can in that location and it’s way, WAY too wide to get in and out that cabinet door. Then, with the sink plumbing below there, it has to be tipped almost all the way over to get it out the other cabinet door. Naturally that is going to lead to dumping out all the trash.

We found (and bought) an trash can that is skinny enough to get in and out the small cabinet door, but that presents a new problem: It’s now so skinny that even when you place it DIRECTLY below the counter top cut-out, you have a 50/50 chance of actually getting your trash into the trash can.

What have all you 35DB owners out there done here? …..or am I missing something REALLY simple?!?!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	35DB Kitchen.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	179872  
BLT4SPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:08 PM   #2

Trash Can Accessibility, Isata 5 35DB only

We bought a trash can with a lid and put it to the right of the end of the counter (stove side) poor engineering on placement under the counter, it is useless.
vrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:43 AM   #3
Commercial Member

I'll have to ask about that one. When we originally designed, we were going to have a door on the exterior to pull that trash can.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I'll have to ask about that one. When we originally designed, we were going to have a door on the exterior to pull that trash can.
Yeah, that is exactly how it works on the DS, but on the DB it's trapped by the kitchen drawers on one side the sink plumbing on the other side.

DS=
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36DS Kitchen.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	180029  
Old 07-17-2018, 04:30 PM   #5

We just pull the trash bag straight up through the hole in the counter before it gets too wide and filled with trash to do so. Costs more in trash bags but is far easier than the alternative you describe.
JWP007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:00 PM   #6

What size (gallons, i.e. bag size ) is the can on the DSand 30FW?
Working hard on “elderhood”
RKBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:48 PM   #7

Quote:

That would have been perfect... [emoji58]
Old 07-17-2018, 08:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBob View Post

Standard tall kitchen trash bags, 18 gallon. It's a bitch just trying to get the trash can in or out of the space.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:17 AM   #9

Thanks...😎
Working hard on “elderhood”
RKBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrunner View Post
We bought a trash can with a lid and put it to the right of the end of the counter (stove side) poor engineering on placement under the counter, it is useless.
I couldn't have described this issue any better. Please let me know if anybody comes up with a solution
janeenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:22 PM   #11

That’s one of the features that just make you want to rush right out and buy huh.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decon Blue View Post
That’s one of the features that just make you want to rush right out and buy huh.

It's a feature that catches your eye and in the back of your mind your like "cool, no trash can in the way, it's underneath." Then you go to use it and your like "WTH, who thought this up?!?"

Brian's comment that there was supposed to be a outside door makes complete sense, yet no door and no way to use the trash can. So trash can is in the way... [emoji58]
Old 07-20-2018, 10:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBob View Post
On our 30FW it's a standard tall kitchen garbage can. The access hole through the countertop is absolutely one of my favorite features. For the 30FW, it's not hard to get the trash can out and I love that there's no need to have a trash can taking up valuable floor space.
SusieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:43 PM   #14
Commercial Member

What about thinking out side of the box? A narrow trash can that is more flexible and can come through the smaller door? Compacts the trash while you pull it out?

https://www.amazon.com/HOMZ-Rolled-S...wrapping+paper

https://www.amazon.com/Primode-Wrapp...ng+paper&psc=1

I know you can't find trash cans that are super narrow...but there are lots of other options. Including one made of cardboard. Maybe not ideal, but it hanging it from a drawer.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:11 PM   #15

Quote:
What about thinking out side of the box? A narrow trash can that is more flexible and can come through the smaller door? Compacts the trash while you pull it out?

I know you can't find trash cans that are super narrow...but there are lots of other options. Including one made of cardboard. Maybe not ideal, but it hanging it from a drawer.

Problem is the trash has to come out the side door. It's only 6 in wide... no trash can that thin and no way to get the bag out unless you leave the bottom cabinet empty on the sink side. Believe me I tried everything.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:02 AM   #16

Quote:

Believe me Brian, I am happy to think outside the box.....and quite frankly, I love seeing how other people outside the box. The RV community in general seems to be World Champions of thinking outside the box and re-purposing stuff and it's great to see!

In the case of this trash can "situation", I'm kind of with VRunner here; we've tried multiple things here and it's a challenging situation. As I mentioned in an earlier post, we did find a trash can that WILL fit through that skinny lower door. as I also mentioned, the next problem is the fact that now that the trash can is so skinny, it is VERY easy to throw trash through that opening in the counter top and completely miss the (skinny) trash can below.

Brian, if you and/or your engineering team there have any ideas, I am all ears, but right now, I don't see many options for effectively using that cut-out in the counter top.....which is a shame.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT4SPD View Post
Believe me Brian, I am happy to think outside the box.....and quite frankly, I love seeing how other people outside the box. The RV community in general seems to be World Champions of thinking outside the box and re-purposing stuff and it's great to see!

In the case of this trash can "situation", I'm kind of with VRunner here; we've tried multiple things here and it's a challenging situation. As I mentioned in an earlier post, we did find a trash can that WILL fit through that skinny lower door. as I also mentioned, the next problem is the fact that now that the trash can is so skinny, it is VERY easy to throw trash through that opening in the counter top and completely miss the (skinny) trash can below.

Brian, if you and/or your engineering team there have any ideas, I am all ears, but right now, I don't see many options for effectively using that cut-out in the counter top.....which is a shame.
With the trash can that fits through the small door, can you put a block under the trash can to push it up to ensure it's directly under the hole? Then when you need to take out the trash, just remove the block which lowers the can so you can pull it out the door.
SusieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:52 AM   #18

Some of these things make great selling features, but when in use, are totally unrealistic. Our TT came with a laundry shoot with a hinged lid in our one night stand. Great idea, but in reality you put your tools, chairs, and other miscellaneous things in the garage area underneath. To just put a laundry basket in there would decrease the storage by half. So, it's not used.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieR View Post
With the trash can that fits through the small door, can you put a block under the trash can to push it up to ensure it's directly under the hole? Then when you need to take out the trash, just remove the block which lowers the can so you can pull it out the door.
Yeah, that's not a bad idea.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:16 PM   #20

Along with the skinny trash can you need skinny trash to get it out the skinny opening... [emoji23]