Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2018, 09:21 PM   #1

Truma water heater

I just purchased an new 2017 Isata 3. The water heater manual shows 3 switches. I found one on the heater, one just inside the door but I do not have a rotary switch inside. Did they make some with no rotary switch? Just wondering if they forgot to install the switch. It is winterized so I can not test the water heater at this time.
Mmspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:22 PM   #2

Ours is below stove drawer
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:27 PM   #3

That is where I thought it should be but it is not there. I did leave a message with Dynamax so hopefully they will have an answer.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:12 PM   #4

I did recall B. Clemens discussing the Truma recently. This is what he said in that post: "There is a switch under the door of the Truma that has to be on. I would leave that on always. There is also a switch on the touch panel that needs to be on (I am in the process of getting that off of there because it says "LP Heater" and it confuses me as well). and lastly there is a round dial control that sets it to eco or comfort. If the round dial does not light up on eco...then one of the other switches are off. Then you must have water and LP in the tanks. We're shooting a video this week to help go through this."
RolandRevenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:28 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Before the rotary latch, the eco or comfort settings were on the water heater itself. Can you take a pic of the switch under the door of the water heater?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:50 PM   #6

I can tomorrow, but I did look at it and the switch is “on” up and down and off in the middle. Is it possible they just forgot to mount the rotary switch?
Old 01-30-2018, 08:25 AM   #7
Commercial Member

It is possible. When we first started using them, they did not have a rotary switch. It was UP for Eco, Down for Comfort. Then the dials just started showing up. I will assume it is on eco by default, but will check with Truma. I think the only thing the dial really added was the "Cleaning"mode. They really want us to push those decalcification tablets they sell. Sounds like a revenue stream to me, but hey...pretty good company so I will let them do what they need to do.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
It is possible. When we first started using them, they did not have a rotary switch. It was UP for Eco, Down for Comfort. Then the dials just started showing up. I will assume it is on eco by default, but will check with Truma. I think the only thing the dial really added was the "Cleaning"mode. They really want us to push those decalcification tablets they sell. Sounds like a revenue stream to me, but hey...pretty good company so I will let them do what they need to do.
Our 2017 24rw has the rotary switch.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:30 AM   #9

Thanks for checking. Here are a couple of pictures of the switch and water heater model
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E71497AE-4256-4BEE-91D1-1E5E334654BA.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	377.4 KB
ID:	161224   Click image for larger version

Name:	0F6DAFA2-253F-41C9-AFC1-CE18BCAFCEEE.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	394.0 KB
ID:	161225  
Old 01-30-2018, 12:39 PM   #10

Truma water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmspring View Post
Thanks for checking. Here are a couple of pictures of the switch and water heater model

Ours came just like yours. I contacted Truma with the serial number and they said the rotary switch was available as an option.

I ordered one for about $80.00 and installation was simple.

I did it for two reasons:
The stock switch only applies and removes power from the unit which does not allow the burner to complete its shutdown cycle properly. Dropping power while it's burning eliminates the post purge stage which cools the boiler and flushes out any remaining fuel. Having maintained hydronic boilers for the last ten years I know how hard that can be on them.

In addition, we have fairly hard water and must decalcify our coffee pots several times a year. Decalcification of the Truma without the switch can only be done by a Truma technician according to the owners manual. If you have the switch you can do it yourself. Their tablets cost $20.00 and according to their recommendation I'll do that about every two years or so depending on use.

This water heater is way more sophisticated than the "boil a can of water" style tank heaters. I can't imagine what a repair would cost.
xgarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:06 PM   #11

Thanks for the response. Sounds like it must be the same water heater, they just didn’t include the switch on the early models.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:40 PM   #12

My 2017 came with the Truma Comfort model, but only the lit on/off switch. I just fired off an email to Truma, so hopefully I can get the rotary switch which should have been shipped with the Truma.
Rich99712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:53 PM   #13

We have a 2018 Isata 3, with the rotary switch below the stove. To turn on the hot water heater we have to 1. turn on water heater switch at the electrical control panel. 2. Then turn on the switch at the water heater either up or down, 3. then rotate the rotary switch to on or Eco. If you get the rotary dial indicator to glow yellow you did it right and you can hear the gas ignite. Oh yeah, don't forget to turn on the propane before you do the 3 steps above.
NealM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:55 PM   #14
Commercial Member

You should just leave the switch on at the water heater at all times. We put the switch on the main panel, in case you need to service the water heater. You can switch it off inside.

Really, you should be able to leave the outside and inside on...just control with the rotary.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:58 PM   #15

Ok then, we will try that next time. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:55 PM   #16

What I was referring to was our initial water heater startup at campground. Once it is on we just leave the rotary dial on eco...and we get piping hot water seconds after turning on faucet.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:28 PM   #17
Commercial Member

good news, good news. I had called Truma to clarify a question that I had and brought up the rotary switch. I let him know that the water heaters stopped saying "Eco and Comfort" and just said "ON and ON". before we started getting the rotary switch.

The heaters never changed...only the stickers did. So if you DO NOT have the rotary latch. UP is still Eco (keeps water above 40) and DOWN is still comfort (Keeps water at 102). The Rotary latch, when plugged into the board just over rides the main switch and allows you to now select the cleaning mode.

Word of caution...if it gets on cleaning mode for more than 10 seconds or something (could be 30), it will go into cleaning mode and it locks you out for about 2 hours.

Truma did say there are stickers you can get to change the water heater back to ECO and COMFORT if you do not have the rotary switch.

Old 02-02-2018, 01:06 PM   #18

Thank you for that update.

Tags
heater, water, water heater