Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2018, 03:28 AM   #41
Just as confused as you

I read the statement about buying locally. Just out of curiosity I went to the Dynamax website and looked for my nearest dealer. The closest dealer is in Illinois and they only sell 3 of the six models, none of which is the DX3 mentioned here. It got me to thinking about how does it help my local economy to have to buy from a dealer 125+ miles from me? There are not any Dynamax dealers in Wisconsin. The nearest dealers are in Illinois, Iowa, and Minnesota.

Just curious minds want to know.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:44 AM   #42

Thought about this AGAIN all last night and actually lost sleep over it. Im trying to be understanding about all of this but sometimes its hard.

Where I live we have a lot of Florida seasonal residents. They buy homes here and spend the summers to escape the Florida heat. I would like to see how they would react if they had bought a Mercedes in Florida and while here for the summer had trouble. I would like to see the look on someones face if the dealer said " Ma'am we will not work on this until the off season because you did not buy it from us ".......

I would bet a couple phone calls would be made and that dealer would receive a call and he would fix the car as promptly as any other car he has. The same as Ford, Chevy or any other car manufacturer.

It sounds to me that too much power is given to the dealer instead of the manufacturer. A dealer should have to apply for the right to sell a brand and meet certain criteria to be eligible. Im sure this is the process but sounds like customer service to all Dynamax customers is not part of the criteria ...

On a rant this morning I know so disagree with me if you want. Heck it may swing me back to the understanding mode again...
The Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:46 AM   #43

My wife actually said this morning to start looking for a Jayco Seneca to see if we could find one of those reasonable close by.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:55 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountieman View Post
My wife actually said this morning to start looking for a Jayco Seneca to see if we could find one of those reasonable close by.
I think you should follow your wifes advice! Youroo!!
Old 01-25-2018, 09:05 AM   #45

In my opinion I think owning an RV is not for you. No matter what you buy there are going to be issues with the coach as well as dealers. I've always wondered what it would be like to be a rv or boat owner and not have a basic knowledge of mechanics. You would seem to fit in that category. Purchase a nice car and stay in hotels and life will be much better for you. Rving is an adventure to be enjoyed. It will always have problems along the way but to me that's just part of the fun. If you do choose to become part of this lifestyle you could not choose a better company than Forest River/Dynamax. Good luck.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:20 AM   #46

I wanted to say something similar to what Bill Davis said but couldn't figure out how to say it so eloquently. I'm about as Type A as you can get, know very little about mechanics and like nice things (did you see my Disney bedding for crying out loud??). I did much research, read all kinds of RV horror stories and decided if I wanted to enjoy amazing camping trips I would have to choose the highest quality that I could afford and understand that there will sometimes be an adventure involved. I've been pretty confident that Dynamax will not let me lose my mind.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:27 AM   #47
Commercial Member

So much wisdom in such a small space.

I would say this. Go to the Jayco forum and put them under the same amount of scrutiny. I know their GM. See if you can reach him. call a few dealers and see if they will service a coach you didn't buy from them. Then ask if you can take the coach anywhere you want and will they reimburse you.

This is supposed to be a fun experience...and I can tell you once you are out on the road, it is an awesome feeling to go anywhere, at your pace, stop when you want, no deadlines. Decide to change plans, no problem. If you're loosing sleep over this part, that is very concerning.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:28 AM   #48

My good friend Bill. I have owned Rv's for years and grew up with my family traveling in my dads truck and camper. I have made a living with my hands. A pretty good living I might add. If I wanted to travel and stay in a hotel thats what I would do. This has nothing to do with any of that.

I am shocked you are missing the point. LOL The adventure is the traveling not the adventure of buying and hunting someone locally to work on it because I found what I wanted somewhere in Texas and cant get it worked on in NC until the off season. That is the point you missed although I thought I explained it pretty well... LOL What an adventure sitting around the house not being able to use my Motorhome till next year when I cant get the slide out fixed because my dealer an hour from me is pissed that I didn't buy it from him..... Either way I appreciate your advice and hope you have a nice day.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:40 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
So much wisdom in such a small space.

I would say this. Go to the Jayco forum and put them under the same amount of scrutiny. I know their GM. See if you can reach him. call a few dealers and see if they will service a coach you didn't buy from them. Then ask if you can take the coach anywhere you want and will they reimburse you.

This is supposed to be a fun experience...and I can tell you once you are out on the road, it is an awesome feeling to go anywhere, at your pace, stop when you want, no deadlines. Decide to change plans, no problem. If you're loosing sleep over this part, that is very concerning.
Mr Clemens I totally agree and understand. Jayco would be worse by all means but her point was to see if the dealers around us had something close to what we are looking for so we could buy from a local dealer and not be in the situation. By all means I give props to you and your dedication to your company and taking time to read my BS.. Thats why we wanted a Dynamax.. Quality beyond anything.. The problem is not with Dynamax, Jayco, or any manufacturer. It is with the dealers...... I have talked with dealers in Michigan who were fantastic and told me no matter where I buy they would love to take care of us if we are ever through there. The same with the dealer in Texas.. They are fantastic. My sales person David, even though I had to back out on the deal, said he understood and he didn't care where we bought it they would be glad to take care of it for us. That mentality is just not widespread in my area...

Thats a problem with writing things down instead of being able to say them. Things get taken out of context. Now I can take the bashing but at the same time I am just making a point that I am running into. It has nothing to do with " Am I suitable for Rving " and " Should stay in a hotel " LOL Point way missed..
Old 01-25-2018, 09:47 AM   #50

I don't think I missed the point. I purchased mine in Texas and I live in Ohio. I have an rv because I love to travel. The dealer there had the exact coach and options I wanted, so that's where I went. I've had a few warranty issues and drove up to the factory and had them promptly resolved. Enjoyed the trip and the campground on site. They even have a house to hang out in while the service is being performed. How's that for service.
Bill Davis, retired ASE certified master auto and truck technician.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:24 AM   #51

I bought my Rockwood out of town. Called a CW dealer close to me about warranty work and didn't get a callback. Found another CW dealer close by that did my warranty work and fixed minor stuff I didn't point out. Out of warranty now and they do all my maintenance. I guess it worked out well for them and they were smart enough to treat me right. There are great dealers out there, just have to find them.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:26 AM   #52

Yep... Missed the point exactly Bill but that’s ok. I am absolutely positive and 100% assured Dynamax Inc would take care of the problems and treat owners with totally loyalty. I have called the company and they are on the spot and very attentive and nothing but fantastic.

Let me try and make my point again. If something goes wrong warranty wise and I can not fix myself, your saying to drive 9 1/2 hours, passing by 20 dealers that will not fix my coach so that I can take it to the company to be fixed? I’m a little lost with that kind of thinking.

Not saying your wrong Bill. Just saying that confuses me a little. I would find it hard to believe if Warren Buffet pulled into a dealership and said “ well my coach needs some warranty work “ and the dealer said “ where did you buy it because if you didn’t buy it from us we will get to you in the off-season”. I really doubt that would go over well. I seriously doubt he would turn to his wife and say honey let’s go home and I will see if I can fix it. Hahaha
Old 01-25-2018, 10:29 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
I bought my Rockwood out of town. Called a CW dealer close to me about warranty work and didn't get a callback. Found another CW dealer close by that did my warranty work and fixed minor stuff I didn't point out. Out of warranty now and they do all my maintenance. I guess it worked out well for them and they were smart enough to treat me right. There are great dealers out there, just have to find them.
Yes sir and thanks for getting the point. I am checking with any dealer today just to see if I they would work on anything I could not fix if I pay them myself. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:41 AM   #54

Not saying your wrong Bill. Just saying that confuses me a little. I would find it hard to believe if Warren Buffet pulled into a dealership and said “ well my coach needs some warranty work “ and the dealer said “ where did you buy it because if you didn’t buy it from us we will get to you in the off-season”. I really doubt that would go over well. I seriously doubt he would turn to his wife and say honey let’s go home and I will see if I can fix it. Hahaha

LOL!!

If Warren Buffet did need some work and that happened to him, He would

have every dealer that sells a Forest River product or wanted to sell one,

they would all be "Franchised" just like the automotive manufactures and

we would not even be having this discussion

But I do understand where you are coming from.

Good luck with what ever you buy and hope your travels will be

adventurous
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:00 AM   #55

I'm not saying it's right, it's just the way it is. Some car dealers act the same way. To me they are short sighted. If they took care of me maybe I would buy the next one from them.
When the first question a service advisor ask me, where did I purchase it, I move on and never darken their door again. That said I've always returned to the factory for warranty repairs. RV'S are not like cars. Everyone is different and only the factory folks know enough to effectively make repairs in a timely manner. Of course that's just my opinion. For those of you who have been to Dynamax for repairs you know how much they care about there customers. They never fail to impress.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:08 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
I'm not saying it's right, it's just the way it is. Some car dealers act the same way. To me they are short sighted. If they took care of me maybe I would buy the next one from them.
When the first question a service advisor ask me, where did I purchase it, I move on and never darken their door again. That said I've always returned to the factory for warranty repairs. RV'S are not like cars. Everyone is different and only the factory folks know enough to effectively make repairs in a timely manner. Of course that's just my opinion. For those of you who have been to Dynamax for repairs you know how much they care about there customers. They never fail to impress.
You are absolutely right Bill

I have bought 3 MH'S from the same dealer (in another state) and would

by another, that being said, "they don't always fix things right or in a

timely manner either. I would rather Dynamax send me the parts and

fix it myself, and have done so several times. Great warranty and parts

department.
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:17 AM   #57
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joet19711 View Post
If Warren Buffet did need some work and that happened to him, He would
have every dealer that sells a Forest River product or wanted to sell one,
they would all be "Franchised" just like the automotive manufactures and
we would not even be having this discussion
I'm not so sure about that. If you've ever sat through one of the shareholder meetings, he's a pretty no nonsense guy and lets his managers manage.

Someone asked if he shouldn't urge other CEO's to be as charitable as he was. His response (paraphrasing). "It's their jobs as CEO's to do what is best for their company. That's what they are paid to do. And we're not charitable. We have never given a single thing that changed our lifestyle in any way. Someone that chooses to not eat so that others may...that is charity. I've never given anything that caused me to sacrifice something my own".

In regards to questions about his influence over companies they own "I buy people, not companies. I hire people that run things right and leave them alone to do what's best" He is not one to dictate what a company does.

I know it is extremely hard to believe (lol), but I have had people disagree with me. So they write a letter to Warren Buffet. Warren reads that letter, passes it on to our president and says "handle this in an appropriate manner". That then gets passed to me and I am told "handle this in an appropriate manner". At the end of the day, Dynamax is the best resource to handle the problem...not anyone (even if they are higher up) that is not familiar with the problem.

Holiday Rambler/Monaco tried the franchise route about a decade back. They went bankrupt.

The customer IS NOT always right. And the manufacture is not always right....but typically we can find common ground and more often than not, we do our best to over-deliver on the service and warranty side.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:32 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
Yes sir Bill we are on the same page sir and I can’t agree more about returning to the factory for service work. Hope you never took anything I said the wrong way.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:42 AM   #59

OK - - - We've beat this thread do death. NEXT - - -
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:55 AM   #60

Mr. Clemens I understand what you are saying and I AM NOT saying I am always right sir. It just seems to me the dealers should appreciate the right to be able to sell such a nice coach and be held to some standards with all dynamax customers no matter where they purchase. As well as car dealers also. You are correct in saying it’s just the industry but that’s a frustrating part for a consumer. I am so tempted to just buy what I want from where I want and not even call these few dealers who are being like this. I am checking with any and all dealerships to see if they would fix something maybe I couldn’t. I feel like these dealerships are trying to strong arm me and I don’t like that. They are trying to use their location to force me to buy from them or deal with the consequences. That’s hard to deal with. Hope you understand where I am coming from.