Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2018, 07:16 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Kaysville, Utah
Posts: 380
Upfit My Jeep JL

So, Iím taking the plunge! My Jeep arrives this week and after looking at pictures from Anchors Down itís clear this group has a lot of expertise. So, I thought it would be fun to find out how you would upfit a JL with a $10K budget.

Hereís what we have to work with:
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2.0 L Turbo
8-speed Auto
Bright White
Black Interior

$10K budget, GO!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1534202141.671491.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	310.8 KB
ID:	183162
__________________

steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:07 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
halla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Akron, OH
Posts: 2,014
I did a little overtime, but did 2.5Ē lift, 34 tires and wheels, all 5. Heavy duty rear bumper and tire carrier. Later on did front bumper, grille, bestop auto steps and bestop sunrider. Getting ready to upgrade the shocks, steering stabilizer. Enjoy the new Jeep.
__________________

__________________
2018 Dynamax Force HD BH---Just Rite-2
halla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:08 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverkemp View Post
So, I’m taking the plunge! My Jeep arrives this week and after looking at pictures from Anchors Down it’s clear this group has a lot of expertise. So, I thought it would be fun to find out how you would upfit a JL with a $10K budget.

Here’s what we have to work with:
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2.0 L Turbo
8-speed Auto
Bright White
Black Interior

$10K budget, GO!

Attachment 183162
Start with a simple spacer lift. and slap on some 37s. You will need something to beef up the tire carrier.

The rest should be pretty much free mods.

Things are amazing out of the box.. but the reliability and quality control issues are spooky on the JL. I would not put a bunch into it until you are sure it won't end up being another buy back.

The 2.0 sounds neat, but what a wild card.

If you want to put more into, go with an actual suspension lift. Not sure who has a good setup for the JL, but I saw a pretty nice review of a fox based kit from Dynatrac set to ship in mid august.

The stock front bumper is good after you remove the wings. I would just remove the rear though.
wfo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:12 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverkemp View Post
So, Iím taking the plunge! My Jeep arrives this week and after looking at pictures from Anchors Down itís clear this group has a lot of expertise. So, I thought it would be fun to find out how you would upfit a JL with a $10K budget.

Hereís what we have to work with:
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2.0 L Turbo
8-speed Auto
Bright White
Black Interior

$10K budget, GO!

Attachment 183162
I looked at that identical jeep about a month ago. It was absolutely beautiful. Nice choice on color also.
__________________
2019 Dynamax Force TSHD
Mountieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:23 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Kaysville, Utah
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfo9 View Post
Start with a simple spacer lift. and slap on some 37s. You will need something to beef up the tire carrier.

The rest should be pretty much free mods.

Things are amazing out of the box.. but the reliability and quality control issues are spooky on the JL. I would not put a bunch into it until you are sure it won't end up being another buy back.

The 2.0 sounds neat, but what a wild card.

If you want to put more into, go with an actual suspension lift. Not sure who has a good setup for the JL, but I saw a pretty nice review of a fox based kit from Dynatrac set to ship in mid august.

The stock front bumper is good after you remove the wings. The I would just remove the rear though.


Thanks. Do you know if the 3 inch Mopar lift is a spacer lift? Yes, fingers crossed on the 2.0 but test drove one on the lot today and it was a blast!
steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:46 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverkemp View Post
Thanks. Do you know if the 3 inch Mopar lift is a spacer lift? Yes, fingers crossed on the 2.0 but test drove one on the lot today and it was a blast!


Donít do a body/spacer lift. The good thing about the Mopar lift is that it keeps all the factory angles and keeps everything covered under warranty. Stick with 35ís as 37ís are heavy and will require further upgrades to keep from bending/breaking things. So:

- Mopar lift
- 35ís all around (including spare)... you can keep factory wheels with 35ís, 37ís you will have to go with wider rims
- Poison Spyder Bumpers, or equivalent, front and back
- Terra-flex spare tire carrier
- blue-ox/braking system so you can tow
Jammer151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:35 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 274
What is the objective ? Look good at the Country Club and campground or actually tackle serious trails ? I can't see a 60k+ Jeep going across the Rubicon or Dusy-Ershim or Golden Spike etc. Back when the JK came out I went on a trail run with a four door on 37s and it still struggled. A lot.

For getting around backcountry roads the stock Jeep is good enough, maybe add a winch in case you get into trouble. And carry a chainsaw.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Uh-Oh.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	331.7 KB
ID:	183212  
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:47 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
FOURWHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,610
Lift and tires is the place to start. With the JL I’d be looking at 37s. Rock Krawler has a nice 2.5” starter lift that’d be perfect. I ran their stuff (still have the control arms on) can definitely recommend it. With wheels and tires and lift you may have a couple grand leftover to play with. Rock sliders/rocker guards are a must have if you’ll see any rocks. Bumpers always a nice upgrade. Soft top if you don’t have dual tops. Lights can be fun but depend on your priorities.

May want to be a little patient too as vendors are racing to get products released for the JL. Expect you’ll see a lot of new stuff in the next couple years
__________________
2016 Dynamax DX3 - Big Blue
FOURWHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:50 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
FOURWHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGerman View Post
What is the objective ? Look good at the Country Club and campground or actually tackle serious trails ? I can't see a 60k+ Jeep going across the Rubicon or Dusy-Ershim or Golden Spike etc. Back when the JK came out I went on a trail run with a four door on 37s and it still struggled. A lot.

For getting around backcountry roads the stock Jeep is good enough, maybe add a winch in case you get into trouble. And carry a chainsaw.
Things have changed a lot. I just ran 30 mi of the rubicon (tahoma to little sluice and back out) in under 24 hrs on 37s. There were extenuating circumstances which forced me to run that fast and I certainly donít recommend it as it was almost like work, but donít underestimate a JK on 37s. Oh and I was alone with no spotter for half of that.
__________________
2016 Dynamax DX3 - Big Blue
FOURWHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:19 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 123
The reason I recommended the cheap spacer lift is JL specific suspension products are coming out quickly for the JL and there will be much better options over time. The most basic lift works amazingly well on the JL Rubicon. Its nothing like a JK from that perspective.

Even the stock sliders get the job done. Belly and rear bumper is the biggest problem area for hard core use. What most people do.. Stock with spacer lift is plenty.

My fried has this.
https://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-su...-kit-676c.html

He is on 38s now.

He has pushed his JL to ridiculous levels with no major issues, beside him beating the crap out of it and he did have a buy back on his first one for steering.

You can see the stupidity in his videos here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQH...nFW8dnw/videos

Just one example:https://youtu.be/HUNvYzEixIY?t=11m6s

I got to know him back when he had an 80 series landcruiser, but they picked up this JL and decided to become youtube stars. He is a bit crazy and does not give a crap about tearing up a 50k jeep that still has temp tags on it. I spotted him up some absolutely terrorizing stuff in his 80 that I was even intimidated by in my trail rig. Hopefully his luck holds up.

Hopefully these videos don't get more idiots out there.. It takes actual skill to do this. He does have some major seat time and misc fails under his belt. The avg person should not attempt this stuff.

Personally, not a fan of the youtube thing, but it does show you what can be done basically out of the box with tires, wheels and $170 in spacer lift.
__________________

wfo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 AM.