Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2017, 10:13 AM   #1

Valve extensions for Isata 3 with Aluminum Wheels

I got a TPMS for my Isata 3 and want to replace the valves on the inner steel wheel duals with solid valves through my aluminum outer wheels using the appropriate rubber stabilizer grommet.

From prior threads, I thought the factory aluminum wheels were Hispec brand, but on their website they listed no 16” wheels (maybe OEM only?).

What have others had installed successfully at a tire shop? I know of one thread where someone had all the tools to do it their self bending the tube and all to fit the grommet. I don’t have any of this equipment, so just want to buy two solid extensions and have them installed with stabilizer grommets. All the aluminum wheels already have solids metal valves, so just need the inner steel wheels.

I measured the opening on the aluminum wheels and they where 3 3/8” x 1 1/4”. Here is a picture of it helps.

I can see the inner rubber valve through the aluminum wheel and it has some kind of rubber extension, but still pretty much useless for any kind of service.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C0A11158-45B3-4D27-9909-248CB5A5B350.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	398.7 KB
ID:	158093  
Old 12-11-2017, 10:37 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Those are designed for a commercial chuck as I recall. Straight on the exposed one and a reverse on the inner.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:43 AM   #3

I don’t know what you mean by “chuck” or “reverse”
Old 12-11-2017, 11:07 AM   #4
Commercial Member

dual foot

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Foot-Loc...erse+air+chuck

Old 12-11-2017, 12:39 PM   #5

I am looking for permenant extensions, not just a different air chuck.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:41 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Sorry, I misread that as the inner valve stem being worthless, but you were referring to it being worthless for TPMS.

Old 12-11-2017, 02:05 PM   #7

To take this a little further, My 2018 Fw didn’t have extensions on the inside dually when I picked it up at the dealer. I quickly pointed it out and the verified they should be there and and someone come in and install them. I had problems related to the extensions with one of the inside dually continually going flat after returning home. I promptly took it to my own service center which I totally trust. They advised that the extension valve stem core was improperly installed but more importantly the inside dual valve stem (rubber) wasn’t rated for the higher pressures and should be changed for safety. They replace the rubber stems with high pressure stems (in this case Brass) and added the back the metal extensions. No problems since.
ddemoret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:14 PM   #8
Commercial Member

tubeless snap in valve stems come in "up to 65 psi" flavor and they also make rubber ones for 85psi and up to 100 psi. I have zero argument at all against going metal...but to say that they should be changed for safety is a reach.

Just for the record, Isata 3 rears are rated at 65 psi. What "can be done", "should be done" and "would be awesome if they did" are not to be confused for one another.

Old 12-11-2017, 02:29 PM   #9

I also worried that the rubber stems with extension would have to much movement this a tmps attached to the stem which I plan to add this week. They shipped today.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:57 PM   #10
Commercial Member

That is a valid concern if you are putting on TPMS.

Old 12-11-2017, 02:58 PM   #11

I think I may be the guy you're referring to that did this job himself. I wasn't able to come up with a stabilizing bushing and have been running without them and have had no problems. I don't know what will happen if you add tpms to the stems, but I'm thinking it would be best to support the stem in some manner.
I purchased the stems from 'Your Tire Shop Supply'. I called them and they were very helpful.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_6083.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	329.0 KB
ID:	158122   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6086.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	158123  
chroniekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroniekon View Post
I purchased the stems from 'Your Tire Shop Supply'. I called them and they were very helpful.
I just ordered the rear dual only stems and isolator. I sent them a picture of my wheel and they said the Alcoa isolator will work. The isolator was just a 1/4” larger in both dimensions, but has a grove to fit in wheel.

I will post how this all went down at the tire shop. Fortunately I have a local family owned tire shop just 1/2 mile from my house that is pretty easy to work with and does a lot of truck tires.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:55 PM   #13

Could you tell us the model number of the isolator you ordered? I’d like to order a pair myself. Thanks!
Old 12-12-2017, 07:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddemoret View Post
Could you tell us the model number of the isolator you ordered? I’d like to order a pair myself. Thanks!
Here is the part numbers right off my order.

VH515S6CSP - $27.50 ea
Outer Duallyvalve .453 Sm Base SPRINTER 15MM Base, 6" CH

DLSPAL - $10 ea
Alcoa Mercedes SP Stabilizer (Isolator)

I know it says Alcoa and ours are Hispec, but they examined a picture and the dimensions of their isolator match my measurements of the ovals in the wheel.

I should have these in a week or so and will post finished results.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:27 PM   #15

Great info! I have the same wheels.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
I just ordered the rear dual only stems and isolator. I sent them a picture of my wheel and they said the Alcoa isolator will work. The isolator was just a 1/4” larger in both dimensions, but has a grove to fit in wheel. I will post how this all went down at the tire shop.
Milkman, we're looking at getting our TPMS set up also.

How did the inside dual valve stems & isolator fit that you got from "Your Tire Shop"?

Did the Alcoa Isolators look good on the Hispec wheels? Seems like they were square & the Hispec hole is rounded on the ends. If you have a picture, that would be great

Thanks.

Dave
caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:30 AM   #17

We have been having a real nasty winter with rain just constantly, so the stems are not installed yet. I also spent January in So America where it was warm and that didnt help the schedule.

I held the isolators up to my wheel and it looked like they would fit fine. I think when they are compressed, they will fill the space. The person that took the order said to spray them with soapy water to make installation easier.

I have my TPMS installed on my four outside wheels and waiting for the weather to improve as my tire shop will need to do this work outside as the RV will not fit in a bay.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by caswelld View Post
Milkman, we're looking at getting our TPMS set up also.

How did the inside dual valve stems & isolator fit that you got from "Your Tire Shop"?

Did the Alcoa Isolators look good on the Hispec wheels? Seems like they were square & the Hispec hole is rounded on the ends. If you have a picture, that would be great

Thanks.

Dave
I tried them and could get them to fit. The Alcoa wheels are very different. There is no shoulder for the isolator to grap in the Isata aluminum wheels. I cut the isolator down in every way I could and still no luck. It your shop gets them to work please let us know.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:42 PM   #19

I also passed this on the crossfire thread going on.

This summer I had something go up between the wheels and hit the inner tire valve extension. When it did this it broke the valve off at the bottom of the treads and created a rapid deflate. Talking to the tire repair person at Flying J’s he told me not to run valve extenders for this very reason....so right now I have went back to no extensions and TPMS.
Jammer151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:42 AM   #20

I found these at: https://www.shinyrv.com/store/c29/Va...abilizers.html

They might fit. They have them in two sizes: 3" X 1.25" & 3.5" X 1.75"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Valve stem stabolizers.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	164305  
caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags