Old 05-23-2018, 11:37 AM   #1

WARNING: Fresh water filter doesn't filter tank water

My water filter in an Isata 3 is connected directly to the incoming city water hose connection. Therefore, it only filters city water coming into the coach. It does not filter the water coming out of the tank. In my opinion, this is the wrong location for the filter. It should be located where the common feed, tank or city water, supply the coach. If there is bacteria in the tank, it will not be filtered. So, be careful using tank water! Bad design and a health risk.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:06 PM   #2

I'm confused..... Doesn't the fresh water tank fill from city water inlet and thus through the filter?

2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
2nd rig 2006 Toyota Tundra &
2010 Cikira 21RB 19' travel trailer
Reverse_snowbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:05 PM   #3

Yea. How do you get unfiltered water into the tank?

Edit: reread your post and i wouldn’t trust that filter for bacteria anyways. If you have bacteria in your tank a sanitize is in order. Bleach the whole system and you’ll be good.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:37 PM   #4

Just because you filtered the water when you filled the tank via the city water connection does not prevent the tank from growing microbes. Especially, with blends of water from several sources, or water that has been stagnant in the tank and amplify that with hot climates. The filtration should happen at the point where water is fed into the plumbing of the coach, coming from either the tank or the city water connection. Another thing is these filters are 30 micron so they do not filter many micro-organisms. Best thing is never consume the water. Use bottled water for cooking & drinking.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
If you have bacteria in your tank a sanitize is in order. Bleach the whole system and you’ll be good.
Sure thing, I'll monitor my bacteria meter to know when to invoke the tank & system bleaching system when on the road and then turn on the auto bleach purging option to flush clean.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatudes View Post
My water filter in an Isata 3 is connected directly to the incoming city water hose connection. Therefore, it only filters city water coming into the coach. It does not filter the water coming out of the tank. In my opinion, this is the wrong location for the filter. It should be located where the common feed, tank or city water, supply the coach. If there is bacteria in the tank, it will not be filtered. So, be careful using tank water! Bad design and a health risk.
I'm with you. The factory installed water filter should be a whole house filter (shore input/from holding tank via pump). Personally, I haven't heard of one that doesn't filter as stated till now. Holding tank input (fill) would require a separate external filter if desired.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:11 PM   #7

We ALWAYS use bottled water for drinking and cooking. Frequently use distilled water (despite the lack of minerals) because I don't trust filters and bottled water can contain bacteria also. The filters are stored in my hot rig (Texas heat) and despite their antibacterial properties, I don't trust them to survive the heat without growing bacteria.

2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
2nd rig 2006 Toyota Tundra &
2010 Cikira 21RB 19' travel trailer
Reverse_snowbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:13 PM   #8

I have not looked at all the plumbing & locations, but I do know that in an RW, the pump is located under the bathroom vanity. So is the city water connection. I wonder if one could easily change some of this plumbing to change where the filter is in the overall circuit. Seems like the feed line to all coach plumbing would be at the Anderson valve but I wonder if that line is routed thru the vanity before it goes to the kitchen & bathroom fixtures where it could get intercepted.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
We ALWAYS use bottled water for drinking and cooking. Frequently use distilled water (despite the lack of minerals) because I don't trust filters and bottled water can contain bacteria also. The filters are stored in my hot rig (Texas heat) and despite their antibacterial properties, I don't trust them to survive the heat without growing bacteria.
I'm with you. We been RVing for decades & never drank or cooked with the water from the storage tank. We always added a compressor-based 12volt frig/freezer to store bottled water & of course a few brewskis.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:21 PM   #10

Take the filter out of the system with a length of Pex and then get a filter stand and put it outside the rig with the city water attached to the inlet and the outlet to your rig problem solved. I personally do not know anyone that has gotten sick for their RV water system or the has found anything wrong with their tanks after doing the startup sanitation, most city water is treated.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water filter