Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2018, 01:12 PM   #1

We finally took the plunge...

After about a year of researching, looking, and deliberating, we put down a deposit to secure a new DX3 37BH yesterday. We plan to pick it up in two weeks.

I have what I believe is the latest PDI list that was shared here recently but was wondering if anyone had any specific last minute advice, warnings, gotchas etc we should be aware of beforehand. This will be the first RV/camper of any sort that we've ever owned, so we are way out of our element here...any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

JT
mookieblaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:15 PM   #2

Congrats and good luck most of all enjoy that beautiful new rig!!!!!!
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookieblaylock View Post
After about a year of researching, looking, and deliberating, we put down a deposit to secure a new DX3 37BH yesterday. We plan to pick it up in two weeks.

I have what I believe is the latest PDI list that was shared here recently but was wondering if anyone had any specific last minute advice, warnings, gotchas etc we should be aware of beforehand. This will be the first RV/camper of any sort that we've ever owned, so we are way out of our element here...any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

JT
Must have been in-stock at a dealership eh? We ordered our 37TS last September and were still waiting on it, supposed to be getting close though.

Start at the front of the rig and work backwards checking every little thing. Test the CB (many of them don't work), test every switch and light to make sure they turn on and off as designed.

The 2 biggest things I've seen on the forum on the DX3's is the front sway bar bushings and the slide out motor closest to where the generator is mounted.

Your rig should be new enough to have the new style sway bar clevises, but check them. You can search for that thread on this forum that has all of the details. On the slide out motor the issue is there are a lot of opening in the generator compartment. This allows road spray to come off of the drivers side rear wheels and deluge the slide out motor in front of the generator compartment. This causes the motor and gear case/brake to rust and in severe cases stop working. Dynamax is aware of the issue and were going to start installing some mud flap material around the generator area to help reduce the water and road grime getting into the slide motor. But that was a pretty recent change, depends on when your coach was manufactured whether it has this modification yet or not. If not, it looks pretty easy to do yourself, there is a thread here on the forum that has pictures and a good explanation of how to do it.

Congrats on the new rig!

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:36 PM   #4

This one was indeed in stock. Arrived at the dealership about a week and a half ago, and we drove out last weekend to view it.

I've tracked both of those issues on this site and had planned to look at the front sway bar setup last weekend but completely forgot. I'll check it out when we pick it up, but I was assuming this was an issue I'd have to deal with Freightliner on if it was still the old style vs. something we'd have the dealer look into as part of the PDI.

With regards to the exposed slide motor, again, I've tracked that issue and am prepared to cover the opening with thin gauge sheet metal or aluminum once we get it home. If I understood correctly, Brian suggested that was a change implemented literally within the the past couple of weeks so I highly doubt it has been done on this coach...maybe not.

Thanks for the feedback and the congrats!
Old 01-12-2018, 12:30 AM   #5

Well, if you are already consistently reading this forum and checking out all of the relevant threads, you will be about as up to speed on new issues as possible. Let us know how it turns out.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:22 AM   #6
2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4

Congrats.

Now you need to attend the Rally and show it off.
Spike4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:00 AM   #7

Based on my experience and due to your research you are probably better informed than the dealer. Internet can be a great tool if you take the time. Plenty of great people on this forum to share/ask information. Enjoy your new adventures!
CCSILVERBACKBJANDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:03 PM   #8

yes we did the same thing 3 months ago.We were so excited we took our PDI list and never took it out. The PDI was bacically on the RV, (We bought the DX3 37 ts.) nothing on the dash, how to drive it (I guess you better know how to drive it) We were told to look things up in the manual. Also make sure they turn on the water on everything. The ice maker, all faucets, if you got the W&D our hot water line was not even on there. Still a problem because it all has to be pulled out, there was no water filter in the water filter. How to use the electronic panel. Big deal lots you need to know, don't assume just because you have had a generator, furnace, invertor etc you know all about it, again we were told to look in the manual. Be sure you find out how to swivel the front seats around. That was a big problem for us. Drivers seat got stuck facing living room and is still that way, can't drive till I get the part. Anyway should I say more?
tdemeyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:08 PM   #9

PS this was all stuff the dealer should have checked and did their own PDI but I assume they didn't. and yes CB doesn't work, pull up windows won't stay up, fall down everytime we push them up. I love the crank out windows they are great. All and all we love our Dynamax. Just frustrating that these dealers don't give a crap.
tdemeyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdemeyer1 View Post
Just frustrating that these dealers don't give a crap.
Have to agree with this statement...this is to include ALL RV Repair centers...but in their defense, we have very few if any, dedicated high quality workers anymore...most are part changers, and some of those are challenged even changing parts out...

This also includes Freightliner Service Centers...they wanted $900-$1200 per side to redo my wheels bearings when I was 5 hrs from home...drove on home on "bad" front wheel bearings...read up on them, and watched several youtube videos...pulled the wheels off and inspected front wheels bearings...nothing wrong with them...adjusted bearing play as per youtube video...BINGO...no slack in steering wheel...had alignment completed, drove like a new truck even with 100k miles on it...

Alignment only required a shim on rear axle...

Sorry for derailing thread, but I cannot reiterate enough, most (99.9%) dealers and service centers are very lacking and poor quality control...

They will try to sell glasses to a blind man...

Thats why I do ALL my own work...sad but true...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:52 AM   #11

If I wee you Id ddo a VERY thorough PDI BEFORE I signed the paperwork.

This PDI should include any issues you can fine on here or elsewhere online regarding your particular model.

It should also include making the dealer demonstrate that each and every one of the items installed in the camper work. All the appliances, the windows, shades, locks, faucets, drains don't leak etc. Have them demonstrate how to operate your entertainment system (some are a bit complicated particularly if more than one TV is involved).

Any discrepancies make them fix it BEFORE you sign the papers and start paying for it. There are many many horror stories on here of buyers waiting months to get their camper fixed after they drove it off the lot. If you make them fix it before they get paid, they will fix it pronto!
Old 01-26-2018, 10:09 PM   #12

Well, I'm writing this from one of the theater seats in our new coach. We flew out first thing this morning, got here when the dealership opened, and spent the day with an extremely helpful and knowledgeable tech at MHS. We thoroughly tested everything, learned a whole lot, and are staying here on their lot in the coach for the night. We have a few punch list items to cross off the list in the morning, and then we'll head home.

Just wanted to sincerely thank all of the active participants on this forum. I know everyone says it, but this forum and the amount of detailed information and advice that's readily shared here was a huge part of our decision to ultimately purchase this particular coach. I hope that over time we can contribute and give back to this community as well.

Also, being someone that absolutely despises buying new vehicles and dealing with car sales personnel, I feel it's worth mentioning that the buying experience here at MHS was borderline pleasurable. Really good, straight shooting, folks down here all around.

Cheers!
Old 01-27-2018, 08:25 AM   #13

We purchased ours there as well. Great people, joyful experience.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:02 PM   #14
Commercial Member

I can tell you their treatment extends to everyone they deal with. From employees, to factory reps to customers. Very courteous and customer service driven...at least from my experience.

Some of the dealers I have dealt with over the years, they treat you like you're on this world to serve them. It is no partnership. That is not the case here.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote