Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2019, 01:50 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
lilbroduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: WA State
Posts: 18
Weight of Isata 3 Spare Tire & Wheel

Is there any info on how much the Isata 3 (circa 2018 FW) spare and wheel together weigh? And same question for them individually?

Thanks!

(Quote below is from a related, closed thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpdrver View Post
We have Alcoa wheels and have been told that the lugs must be changed if a steel wheel is substituted for the Alcoa wheel. To save weight and reduce problems, I removed the spare and dismounted the tire from the wheel. I then put the tire in a large garbage bag and remounted the tire only in the spare tire carrier.
My thinking, is if I have a flat on a steel wheel or Alcoa wheel, roadside assistance can mount my spare tire on either wheel and when home buy a new tire for spare. I would not have to put a new tire on a wheel and change out wheels on the coach.
The only flaw is if my wheel is destroyed when the flat occurs. In 30 years of running coaches this has never happened to me, so I will take the risk.
__________________

lilbroduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:27 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
chroniekon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 553
If you have the LT215/85r16 Continental Vanco tires, the item weight shown on Amazon is 33 lbs. Not sure on the wheel weight.
__________________

__________________
2017 Isata 3 24FW
2004 Jeep Wrangler
chroniekon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:33 PM   #3
GM
 
bclemens's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elkhart, IN
Posts: 11,400
I think we calculated about 60 lbs.
__________________
Please READ the entire thread before posting to keep comments relevant.
Also, please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:20 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
lilbroduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: WA State
Posts: 18
Thanks

Thanks, chron and Brian. The tire ID chron quoted is the exact one that's on our I3, and you saved me the lookup. And Brian, I knew you or Brandon would be the best source for the wheel. So it looks like 33 for the rubber and ~30ish for the wheel.

I assume the spare rim is steel. Our outer duallies are non Alcoa aluminums, which I assume makes them Hispec. In any event, we're considering detaching the spare in the interests of hugely precious CCC. Haven't yet decided about unmounting the tire spare to keep on board or keep nothing at all.
lilbroduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:41 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
milkman55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Posts: 703
I think you are splitting hairs over 60 lbs. If you have a flat, you will be glad to have the right size spare even if mounted on a steel wheel and needing transferred to your Hispec wheel (same thing I have my I3).
__________________
2017 Isata 3 24FW
2014 Honda CR-V
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 04:06 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
lilbroduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: WA State
Posts: 18
Thanks, milkman... I agree with you that if we're only 60lbs over max it'd be a breeze. We're packing for our maiden fully loaded trip and will weigh soon to see what our fate is... I strongly suspect that we'll top out at at least 100-200lbs overweight, so 60 could become a consideration for the chopping block, among other stuff.

So as not to be overly foolish, I'm in the process of contacting our roadside assistance agency to find out what would be our coverage in the event of a blowout/flat. That will give us a better idea as to carrying a full spare, just the rubber, or nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
I think you are splitting hairs over 60 lbs. If you have a flat, you will be glad to have the right size spare even if mounted on a steel wheel and needing transferred to your Hispec wheel (same thing I have my I3).
__________________
2018 Isata 3 24FW
lilbroduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:32 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 678
"I'm in the process of contacting our roadside assistance agency to find out what would be our coverage in the event of a blowout/flat."

Most will change a tire ,& install your spare.

Most will install a new tire on your old wheel .

If a tire is needed , it will be Very Expensive , and probably not a match for the rest of the tires. Best to tell them in advance to bring a new tire and the size you desire.

I personally would never travel with out a fully mounted spare.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:57 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
lilbroduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: WA State
Posts: 18
Good info, Ffred... Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
"I'm in the process of contacting our roadside assistance agency to find out what would be our coverage in the event of a blowout/flat."

Most will change a tire ,& install your spare.

Most will install a new tire on your old wheel .

If a tire is needed , it will be Very Expensive , and probably not a match for the rest of the tires. Best to tell them in advance to bring a new tire and the size you desire.

I personally would never travel with out a fully mounted spare.
__________________
2018 Isata 3 24FW
lilbroduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:17 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,556
Lugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbroduck View Post
Is there any info on how much the Isata 3 (circa 2018 FW) spare and wheel together weigh? And same question for them individually?

Thanks!

(Quote below is from a related, closed thread)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpdrver View Post
We have Alcoa wheels and have been told that the lugs must be changed if a steel wheel is substituted for the Alcoa wheel. To save weight and reduce problems, I removed the spare and dismounted the tire from the wheel. I then put the tire in a large garbage bag and remounted the tire only in the spare tire carrier.
My thinking, is if I have a flat on a steel wheel or Alcoa wheel, roadside assistance can mount my spare tire on either wheel and when home buy a new tire for spare. I would not have to put a new tire on a wheel and change out wheels on the coach.
The only flaw is if my wheel is destroyed when the flat occurs. In 30 years of running coaches this has never happened to me, so I will take the risk.
Do you have to change the lugs, or just the lug nuts? Steel wheels take a conical lug nut. Newer Aluminum do too. Older aluminum wheels take a "shank" nut. The front face is cylindrical and passes through the wheel. Behind that section is a flat (not conical) flange that presses the wheel to the hub.

It's possible, but unlikely that the diameter of the lug bolts (and nuts) is different for aluminum and steel wheels.

Consider investigating this further before rushing to make plans for unmounted tires and wheels.
  • It's possible that the same lug nuts are used on both wheel types on your trailer.
  • It's possible that the wheels take different nuts, but lug diameter and thread pitch are the same for both kinds of wheels and all you have to do is buy an extra set of lug nuts.
WMTire might have more information on this.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:10 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
lilbroduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: WA State
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Do you have to change the lugs, or just the lug nuts? Steel wheels take a conical lug nut. Newer Aluminum do too. Older aluminum wheels take a "shank" nut. The front face is cylindrical and passes through the wheel. Behind that section is a flat (not conical) flange that presses the wheel to the hub.

It's possible, but unlikely that the diameter of the lug bolts (and nuts) is different for aluminum and steel wheels.

Consider investigating this further before rushing to make plans for unmounted tires and wheels.
  • It's possible that the same lug nuts are used on both wheel types on your trailer.
  • It's possible that the wheels take different nuts, but lug diameter and thread pitch are the same for both kinds of wheels and all you have to do is buy an extra set of lug nuts.
WMTire might have more information on this.

Larry
Thanks for the comprehensive input, Larry!

I'm thinking that if one has aluminum rims, different approaches need to be taken for Alcoa versions vs Hispec.

Take a peek at this thread:
Isata 3 - Factory Spare Tire / Aluminum Wheels
__________________

__________________
2018 Isata 3 24FW
lilbroduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tire, weight, wheel

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 AM.