Old 01-11-2018, 12:59 PM   #1

Wet bay heat

Iím researching additional heat for my wet bay. I find the exchanger form the aqua hot is good in the 20s but much lower it canít keep up. Especially at night when weíre in the bedroom and the thermostat runs even less.

Was looking at either 12 or 120v heaters I can put down there. I put a spare fan heater I had on the last trip and it worked great but only when parked as I need to add an outlet to the bay. This ended up with a slushy sanicon hose upon arrival home. (Temps weíre in the single digits to negative the entire drive home)

It dawned on me though maybe I just need to put that heat exchanger on its own control driven by the temp in the bay. Surely itís not a matter of the aqua hot delivering enough BTUs, rather itís just not being controlled quite right?

Do I need another thermostat for that? Something simpler? What are my options?

Old 01-11-2018, 01:28 PM   #2
GM

There are (3) zones on the Aqua-hot...pump #1,2,3 methinks. They may do living room, mid section, bedroom. But maybe one can be tapped for bay?

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:32 PM   #3

Yeah looking at a manual now. Looks like there may even be 5 zones on the controller board. Living room, bedroom, fresh water, bathroom and other. It appears they’re just distributed across the two pumps. So if I’m reading this right a two conductor to a thermostat in the wet bay and another direct run to the cozy and I should be good!
Old 01-11-2018, 01:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
Yeah looking at a manual now. Looks like there may even be 5 zones on the controller board. Living room, bedroom, fresh water, bathroom and other. It appears theyíre just distributed across the two pumps. So if Iím reading this right a two conductor to a thermostat in the wet bay and another direct run to the cozy and I should be good!
Say again, but in English this time ?

When you refer to zones, does this mean the Aqua Hot has under floor piping that is separate for each zone? Is there an unused water flow outlet on the unit that corresponds with one of the zones described on the control board, like "fresh water"? If so, couldn't you use a small radiator (like they include in transmission cooler kits), plumb it to the unused water outlet/inlet, then use the thermostat you referenced in the bay to control it?

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:43 PM   #5

From what I can tell there are two hydronic zones controlled by two separate pumps, but electrically there are 5 zones spread across these two pumps. What that means is while the pump may be circulating through the other exchangers, the fan will only run on that zone and therefore substantially transfer heat.

There’s already an exchanger ducted into the wet bay (can’t remember if it’s shared with the bathroom or not) but it’s controlled by the bedroom thermostat. If I can control it independently with another thermostat in the wet bay I believe I’ll be in business.

Aqua hot actually has one for just this case but I can’t find it for sale anywhere.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:52 PM   #6
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
Aqua hot actually has one for just this case but I canít find it for sale anywhere.
My service tech said the same thing. Some "dial type" t-stat. I'll see if we've ever ordered them.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
Old 01-11-2018, 02:53 PM   #7

If the exchanger is ducted from the bathroom into the wet bay, even if you control it independently, isn't it going to make the bedroom get too hot?

That's why I was thinking of the dedicated exchanger in the wet bay with a small 12V fan on it to move the warm air around.

Once you get it all worked out, be sure and share the results with the rest of us so we can copy your hard work!

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
Old 01-11-2018, 03:07 PM   #8
GM

Why wouldn't ANY two wire, low temp (garage heater) t-stat work?

Page 25 shows a 2 wire.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AHE-400-D01 Installation Manual LTE-907-609.pdf (5.08 MB, 20 views)
Old 01-11-2018, 03:11 PM   #9
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Randy View Post
If the exchanger is ducted from the bathroom into the wet bay, even if you control it independently, isn't it going to make the bedroom get too hot?

That's why I was thinking of the dedicated exchanger in the wet bay with a small 12V fan on it to move the warm air around.

Once you get it all worked out, be sure and share the results with the rest of us so we can copy your hard work!
No...because Aqua-hot is not really ducted. The fluid is ducted to a heat exchanger with a fan. The fan blows air across the exchanger. So if the exchanger in the bathroom is not activated...the fluid will flow, but no fan. If you put the wet bay on a different zone the fan is controlled separately, so fluid is flowing through both (Pump 1) but only the fan on the wet bay comes on.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
No...because Aqua-hot is not really ducted. The fluid is ducted to a heat exchanger with a fan. The fan blows air across the exchanger. So if the exchanger in the bathroom is not activated...the fluid will flow, but no fan. If you put the wet bay on a different zone the fan is controlled separately, so fluid is flowing through both (Pump 1) but only the fan on the wet bay comes on.
OK, that's makes sense. Why not try a thermostatically controlled outlet like this? $12 bucks at the farm supply, turns on at 35 degrees and shuts off at 45 degrees. I realize this is a 110v unit but its passive so it should still provide continuity from the back prongs to the outlets when below 35 degrees.
Attached Images

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"