Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2018, 01:02 PM   #1

Who has an Isata 5 4x4 (especially 30FW)

I'm considering changing up my whole RV game. Right now I have a big Class A and tow a stacker trailer for the toys. Our camping and use is switching from big, open areas like Glamis and big RV "resorts" more towards smaller parks and offroad camping (I got the Class A stuck at Sand Mountain, NV... that was fun). We're considering "downsizing" to an Isata 5 with the 4x4.

I know it's a HUGE change, but if we're going to downsize I really like the idea of the smaller 30FW floorplan. The 36DS is an option... but it's only about 4' shorter than my current coach so it's not the big change I'm hoping for.

Anyway, what can you tell me about your experiences with the Isata 5? I know every new coach has its teething issues, we went through a whole bunch of issues on our Dutch Star. What has been a problem on your Isata 5?

Also, I'm really interested to hear from anybody that tows with their Isata 5. What are you towing? What grades have you hit? How does it do? I'd probably have a ~8k lbs trailer behind mine (20-24' box with 2 Polaris RZRs).

Finally, how is the drive going down the road? Does it get blown around badly by wind and big rigs? My Dutch Star is so, so, SO stable and I think I'm really going to miss that. I know there aren't a ton of 4x4 models out there, but if you have one I'd love to hear how it drives.

Thanks,
TJ
Old 08-16-2018, 01:31 PM   #2
Commercial Member

https://www.facebook.com/DynamaxMoto...5659075598965/

if you haven't seen this already.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:04 PM   #3

So you are leaning "more towards smaller parks and offroad camping"

With a 32' motor home plus a 24' trailer, it seems like you would still be pretty limited...

Maybe without the trailer and just a TOAD.... Once in the trailer game... my thought was go big or go home.
wfo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I actually had checked that one out, but thanks for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfo9 View Post
So you are leaning "more towards smaller parks and offroad camping"

With a 32' motor home plus a 24' trailer, it seems like you would still be pretty limited...

Maybe without the trailer and just a TOAD.... Once in the trailer game... my thought was go big or go home.
Well, I'd rather go with a 20' trailer but the 2 RZRs I have right now won't allow that (without it being a stacker... and I'm not going to tow a stacker w/ an Isata 5. So I'm seriously considering selling my Z1-swapped, long travel XP4 for a 2nd 2 seater. If the RV is 32' 1" and a 20' box trailer will be about 24" 3", that would be a total of 56' 4"... which is still almost 10' shorter than I am now.

I'm making the 65' work now, it's just very tight at some places and in some means bringing my pickup too (so my girlfriend has to drive separately) so I can drop the trailer when I get to the park and use my truck to park it (in a 2nd spot).

Here's an example of one of the places that's now about 1.5 hrs from my house:

That is literally the only spot in the park I can take... and as you can see the trailer is backed beyond the technical end of the spot. The 8' 6-3/4" shorter total of a 30FW and a 20' box trailer would be handy. One of the other places we frequent is even smaller, and like I said it requires 2 spots and unhooking.

We'd probably still have to unhook at the smaller park w/ the "new" setup, but I don't think we'd need to bring the truck, I could at least park the trailer using the RV before I get setup.

Also, it's not JUST about the riding trips. There are some parks we used to go to w/ our 34' gas Class A that we'd like to start going to again. Those are non-riding trips, so no trailer. Hindsight is 20/20, but when we got the big Dutch Star we were living in it in big open areas (mostly Glamis) for 5-6 months at a time (well, I flew back and forth for work but my girlfriend and the dogs stayed in it all season) so it made more sense.

-TJ
Old 08-17-2018, 01:39 PM   #5

I would think the ISATA5 would tow that load pretty easy. But like you said.. the stacker would probably need to go. For some reason they de-rate the ISB 6.7 to 330hp/750tq. I know it can be set at 360/800. Not a a huge difference.. but I'm always wondering why they crank them down.

Another option if you wanted to keep the stacker and shorten your length to 30'. Is more of a custom super C. Like a Renegade classic. You can get them in 29' on several different chassis up to 650hp at 2k tq... not cheap but pretty killer luxury and capability. I would check out https://iwsmotorcoaches.com. if interested in keeping the stacker. They sell them and have lots of video reviews...and know what they are talking about as a dealer. Nothing but positive experiences out there from those guys. You can get them setup for arctic conditions if need be...Pretty sure 4wd is also an option.
wfo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:29 PM   #6

We have the 30FW 4x4 and tow a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara..2 door. I think about 4200lbs. Our 30FW drives great. Picked it up in May and drove it for a 4000 mile shakedown trip. A few minor issues but nothing major. Drives like a dream and the ride is good. Doesn't get blown around by the big rigs. Only complaint so far is the foldover mattress. Definitely not comfortable. Will probably just get one custom made soon to replace it. Doesn't have a lot of storage space but we knew that going in.
SusieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfo9 View Post
I would think the ISATA5 would tow that load pretty easy. But like you said.. the stacker would probably need to go. For some reason they de-rate the ISB 6.7 to 330hp/750tq. I know it can be set at 360/800. Not a a huge difference.. but I'm always wondering why they crank them down.

Another option if you wanted to keep the stacker and shorten your length to 30'. Is more of a custom super C. Like a Renegade classic. You can get them in 29' on several different chassis up to 650hp at 2k tq... not cheap but pretty killer luxury and capability. I would check out https://iwsmotorcoaches.com. if interested in keeping the stacker. They sell them and have lots of video reviews...and know what they are talking about as a dealer. Nothing but positive experiences out there from those guys. You can get them setup for arctic conditions if need be...Pretty sure 4wd is also an option.
Yeah, I have zero intention of pulling the stacker with the Isata 5. It'd actually probably do okay with a beefed up hitch, this stacker is actually surprisingly light (for what it is). Still, it's about a foot and a half taller than the 30FW, and just not the right combo.

Thanks for the other ideas, trust me I've thought about all of them. The problem with a 30' Super C that has an actual big-rig front end (we call them "Toterhomes" around here) is that you lose even more of your living space to the cab... like a LOT. I have a buddy with one, and he LOVES how it tows and drives... but the interior is like one little small box. Also, you're still talking about a very heavy rig and only RWD (I know the larger Toterhomes have 2 rear axles that are both driven, and actually do well in soft stuff... but anything short is going to be a single rear axle).

My friends that have Toters either just don't care about overall length so they get 40-45' version and/or have 2-3 full size V8 rails, a SxS or two, kids quads etc. and simply need to be able to pull a long, 30k lbs (loaded) stacker. A great option for many, but sort of what I'm trying to go away from for now. I'm not trying to knock your idea, and I appreciate the input, just not the direction I'm headed.

Back to the Isata 5, I suspect they "down-rate" it for one of two reasons. One would be marketing. If they're putting the ISB in some of their bigger lines like the Force HD they want to be able to "up-rate" it. Of course, I went and looked it up and strangely the Force's ISB is 340/700... which brings me to the second reason. It might be down-rated to the power level that allows for sustained Wide Open Throttle in this application. With the size of the radiator, intercooler, oil cooler, etc. in mind it could be that 325/750 is where the engineers felt comfortable with sustained WOT in the Isata 5. RVs, especially RVs that tow will be flat to the floor for much longer periods of time than the pickup trucks you'll also find the 6.7L Cummins in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieR View Post
We have the 30FW 4x4 and tow a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara..2 door. I think about 4200lbs. Our 30FW drives great. Picked it up in May and drove it for a 4000 mile shakedown trip. A few minor issues but nothing major. Drives like a dream and the ride is good. Doesn't get blown around by the big rigs. Only complaint so far is the foldover mattress. Definitely not comfortable. Will probably just get one custom made soon to replace it. Doesn't have a lot of storage space but we knew that going in.
Great feedback, thank you for sharing! I actually got to drive a 30FW 4x4 yesterday, and I agree it drives very, VERY well. I was honestly shocked how well it drove, and how quiet it was inside. The gas Class A I had before my Dutch Start was noisy as all heck and was sort of a white-knuckle nightmare to drive. The Isata was easily 1-hand on the wheel doing 65-70 (I know, I know 2 hands on the wheel but I'm just saying you can do it ). We went down and back up a 6-7% grade and it was able to maintain 65 MPH up the grade (no trailer obviously)! The route had us starting back into the grade from a dead-stop (left turn from a stop light) and we still got back up to 65. I'll be honest, I'm not sure my Dutch Start would have made much more than 50-55 there from a dead start (of course, it also weighs ~40k lbs). I'm not very confident it'll tow a 20-24' box trailer with 2 RZRs (say, 7,500-8,500lbs) very comfortably.

I agree about the fold up mattress. The material/construction itself actually felt great, but I have a feeling one would end up sinking into the divide a bit. There's a really great custom RV mattress guy that some of my friends have used. He's in AZ I'm pretty sure, but he'll come deliver right in the dunes of Glamis! As I mentioned before, we're not spending as much time in Glamis now, but we're still planning 1 or 2 trips a year, so I'll probably meet up with him in G and see what he thinks he can do that will still fold up easily enough.

The space will certainly be a BIG (or small, as it were) change. We're going from a 40' pusher with a full wall slide down the entire driver's side (probably 30+ feet of slide) and 2 large slides on the passenger side. It's a bath and a half model too. It's absolutely awesome, and we love it... but it's just not the right coach for us anymore, at least not right now. We started emptying it out this morning, and WOW we have so much stuff in there. We had 4 seasons of clothes in there that just never come out (we have a washer and drier in it). We probably had a few WEEKS of clothes without doing laundry - ridiculous! It just goes to show however much space you have, you'll use it all!

Still, it's a change worth making. We'll need to actually pack for the specific trip we're taking, vs. just having a whole 2nd wardrobe live in the RV. I'm sure we'll have some basics (a pair jeans, a pair of shorts, undergarments, etc.) for those short trips you didn't plan, or "just in case" but not the amount we have now. We'll also have to downsize our kitchen gear a lot. I almost think we have more pots, pans, serving dishes etc. than at home. Again, if you have the space, you'll fill it up. Cooking and doing dishes will be very different in the Isata, that is for sure. Our Dutch Star has a big, single basin sink. It also has a large induction cooktop and a lot of counter space. About the only thing we "hate" on the Isata is the kichen sink is 2 tiny basins. We're going to see about ordering it with a single instead. I don't understand how one would even wash a medium sized frying pan from making eggs for breakfast or something. Anyway, we'll have to re-focus towards outdoor cooking and maybe bring a plastic tub or doing some dishes outside. You know... like actual camping!

-TJ
Old 08-19-2018, 06:33 PM   #8

If you do end up with the 5 30FW, there is huge storage space to take advantage of in the dining booth seats. The forward booth has a huge empty space behind the drawer. We boxed it in and it holds my instant pot and all the accessories. I also plan to build specific storage bins along the top left where the garbage can resides. Lots of space up under there for storage.
We had a glass shower door added. I hated the plastic door on tracks. Those are impossible to keep clean.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:36 PM   #9

Shower glass door change and upgraded theater seats.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180519_103845.jpeg
Views:	116
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	183769Click image for larger version

Name:	20180519_103600_001.jpeg
Views:	132
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	183770
Old 08-19-2018, 08:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Shower glass door change and upgraded theater seats.Attachment 183769Attachment 183770
Thanks so much, great info! Who did the theater seats, they look waaaaay comfier than the stock config. We'll have to look at making the space behind the drawers work, we were literally just talking about how we wouldn't be able to have an instant pot in the RV anymore!

-TJ
Old 08-20-2018, 02:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjZ06 View Post
Thanks so much, great info! Who did the theater seats, they look waaaaay comfier than the stock config. We'll have to look at making the space behind the drawers work, we were literally just talking about how we wouldn't be able to have an instant pot in the RV anymore!

-TJ
We had Dynamax switch to the theater seats out of the DX3. They just removed the center console between the recliners. The seat backs are full height and much more comfortable recliners. They were a tight fit so they moved the booth seat in a tiny bit. Makes the booth cushions a tight fit when configured as a bed but we'll probably never use that as a bed anyway.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:55 AM   #12

Quote:
We had Dynamax switch to the theater seats out of the DX3. They just removed the center console between the recliners. The seat backs are full height and much more comfortable recliners. They were a tight fit so they moved the booth seat in a tiny bit. Makes the booth cushions a tight fit when configured as a bed but we'll probably never use that as a bed anyway.
Wow, I had no idea that we could do that as an option. Thank you again SO much for this tip. We're getting ready to order soon, and missing our current recliner setup has been one of the things that concerned us.

-TJ
Old 08-20-2018, 12:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Wow, I had no idea that we could do that as an option. Thank you again SO much for this tip. We're getting ready to order soon, and missing our current recliner setup has been one of the things that concerned us.

-TJ
FYI... I should have mentioned that it was an upgrade charge. But SO worth the extra $$.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:23 PM   #14

Quote:
FYI... I should have mentioned that it was an upgrade charge. But SO worth the extra $$.
Yeah, of course. Would you mind measuring the width of the bottom cushions? I'm just curious how wide they end up being. Also, if you could PM the upgrade charge, I'd love to know.

Is there anything you really wish you had ordered differently than you did? Anything other advice for me before I order.

Again, thank you for all of your help.

-TJ
Old 08-20-2018, 02:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Yeah, of course. Would you mind measuring the width of the bottom cushions? I'm just curious how wide they end up being. Also, if you could PM the upgrade charge, I'd love to know.

Is there anything you really wish you had ordered differently than you did? Anything other advice for me before I order.

Again, thank you for all of your help.

-TJ
Sorry, can't measure the cushions for you. We live on an island and we keep our rig on the mainland. But I PM'd you some info.
One of the other 30FW owners might be able to chime in with cushion measurements.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Sorry, can't measure the cushions for you. We live on an island and we keep our rig on the mainland. But I PM'd you some info.
One of the other 30FW owners might be able to chime in with cushion measurements.
Yours are wider than the 'standard' theater seating option for the 30FW though, correct?

Thanks,
TJ
Old 08-20-2018, 03:19 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Quote:
Yours are wider than the 'standard' theater seating option for the 30FW though, correct?

Thanks,
TJ
No, they got our standard theater seats for a 60" opening. Our standard recliners are for a 64" or 68" opening...I can never remember and have a center console. (it is really 3 pieces anyway). So for smaller sofa's we use a 60" (now 59" theater seat set up). We did nothing special for theirs, other than it was special at the time.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:37 PM   #18

Quote:
No, they got our standard theater seats for a 60" opening. Our standard recliners are for a 64" or 68" opening...I can never remember and have a center console. (it is really 3 pieces anyway). So for smaller sofa's we use a 60" (now 59" theater seat set up). We did nothing special for theirs, other than it was special at the time.
Thank you for the response, and it's great to hear it direct from the manufacturer. I'm hoping to order soon, and wondered if we could talk directly offline about a few questions I have?

Thanks,
TJ
Old 08-20-2018, 03:40 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Best bet is to talk to the sales rep that handles your territory. They will have a better idea of where they are with allocation (lead times) and dealer orders status/inventory/coming orders.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Best bet is to talk to the sales rep that handles your territory. They will have a better idea of where they are with allocation (lead times) and dealer orders status/inventory/coming orders.
How do I get in touch with the rep for my area (Northern California)? Besides lead times (I know it's pretty bad right now with the shortage of Dodge 5500 4x4 Chassis) I had some questions about ordering it with up-rated TVs, a single basin kitchen sink, etc.

Thanks,
TJ