Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2017, 10:21 PM   #21
jkoenig24

A primary reason I bought my 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RB was that it had the BEST floorplan I'd seen in ~ three years of searching. It DOES have a bath and a half AND, that half bath (toilet & sink) is MUCH more comfortable than the main bath (where Dynamax shoehorned a toilet into a tight space). I had NO need for a bunkhouse and in fact, had the dinette and "sofa" removed and replaced with a custom-made trestle table (with two regular chairs) and a wall-hugging recliner. The changes are MUCH more comfortable than the OEM eye candy furniture. The crappy OEM Serta "king" mattress has also been replaced with a thick, true queen width (60") that's 76" long. Standard queen sheets fit properly and, the mattress is VERY comfortable. The sleeping capacity is now two adults (instead of two adults and four midgets). As a solo, I have LOTS of space I haven't filled yet. Should I find a gal who can put up with me, there's still enough storage space for two people. I LOVE the fact that my DX3 is built on a TRUE Class7 Freightliner HDT (Heavy Duty Truck). I've been traveling ~ 9,000-11,000 miles/year. I doubt it would be possible to wear this HDT out in my lifetime!
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 10:42 PM   #22
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugoismad View Post
I've had no issue for 10 day trips using one bathroom with 5 people.

Jesus people, its camping. This is why the guys in tents are making fun of us. If you want to go easier, just rent a suite at the hilton.

Good for you, I guess.

I don’t camp.

Even before I fulltimed, I didn’t camp.

We are travelers. This *is* my Hilton suite on wheels.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:35 AM   #23

Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Vaughn View Post
A half bath is a total waste of space that could be better used for storage. I have over 50 years of rv experience I have never found a need for a half bath......guest have never needed to use a bathroom when they come to visit.....on the other hand having a pantry in that same space serves a more practical purpose.....
I agree woth you but the folks who can’t stand the thought of someone else touching “their” toilet seat would go nuts just doing the mental visual.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:29 AM   #24
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Restcure and Dan hit it on the nose. What is silly to you is important to me.

We fulltime with 2 kids and regularly have 1-2 guests for extended periods of time. Your guests might not use it while they’re there, but I can’t ask my in-laws to hold it for 10-21 *days* (yes, DAYS).

While not required, I like keeping my kid’s daily bathroom mess and chaos out of my space. At the risk of sacrificing space/room, I’m wanting to have a 1/2 bath.
You guys are too soft. Back in my days as a wee one, I got showered outside with a garden hose. The big people would take it in turns. Bracing, but we breed 'em tuff down here. Mick Dundee is not a fiction.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:15 AM   #25

1/2 bath would be interesting, but like a few replies here; we have traveled in our bunkhouse with 6 people for a week+ no issues with sharing. Have to clean more often, but that is ok. This is the best part of having choices. Each of us has a different opinion of what is great and what is not.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:44 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
1/2 bath would be interesting, but like a few replies here; we have traveled in our bunkhouse with 6 people for a week+ no issues with sharing. Have to clean more often, but that is ok. This is the best part of having choices. Each of us has a different opinion of what is great and what is not.
Agreed but 6 people for a 365 day trip (as in Doug's Case) is a different story than just a week..........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:56 AM   #27

Quote:
Good for you, I guess.

I don’t camp.

Well said.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:09 AM   #28

Quote:
Good for you, I guess.

I don’t camp.

I call what I do " MotorHomeing"

I camped out in the army.
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:37 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
I LOVE the fact that my DX3 is built on a TRUE Class7 Freightliner HDT (Heavy Duty Truck). I've been traveling ~ 9,000-11,000 miles/year. I doubt it would be possible to wear this HDT out in my lifetime!
I agree with the above summary. But I do have a question. You state that the chassis (M2) is an HDT chassis. I always thought that the chassis was an MDT. Can you give me an example of where the line is between the two? I was thinking the Cascadia was an example of an HDT chassis. https://freightliner.com/trucks/medium-duty/
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:40 AM   #30
Citrus County, Fl.

ependydad, with the 2 kids and occasional guests have you looked at some of the 2 full bath plans. The extra shower might make a big difference for you. Check out these bunk models... Georgetown 5 36B5 (king bed) or the Legacy 38C which has the queen bed. Coachmen also has the Sportcoach RD 409BG with 2 baths and a bunk house but it is also a king bed.

If it's in your budget the Berkshire XLT 45A (I think this is what Frog Bob has now) is 2 full baths with a queen option.

Georgetown also made the 364TS which is not available for 2018 but there may be some 2017's out there still.

If you are still in South Florida, check this one out https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...-38C-122268013
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:52 PM   #31

I currently have TT but thinking of 5er and thinking half bath would be nice not having the steps every time I go to bathroom. knees not good any more.
packrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:44 PM   #32
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
ependydad, with the 2 kids and occasional guests have you looked at some of the 2 full bath plans. The extra shower might make a big difference for you. Check out these bunk models... Georgetown 5 36B5 (king bed) or the Legacy 38C which has the queen bed. Coachmen also has the Sportcoach RD 409BG with 2 baths and a bunk house but it is also a king bed.

If it's in your budget the Berkshire XLT 45A (I think this is what Frog Bob has now) is 2 full baths with a queen option.

Georgetown also made the 364TS which is not available for 2018 but there may be some 2017's out there still.

If you are still in South Florida, check this one out https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...-38C-122268013

Thanks for avoiding the 1/2 bath need discussion. That was tiring!

Ironically, I look at the 2 full baths and think “man, that’s overkill!” But, it would give us a space to convert to a closet for the kids (either with plastic shelving or go whole hog and tear the thing out). OR, actually use it for a shower and learn I like it. Who knows!

We walked through a Coachman Sportcoach that had 2 full baths and a salon bed. From my notes, looks like it was the 408DB. I think we could cut down the base of the bed to get closer to a queen size. But I’d have to do some measuring and likely would need to redo the bed support shocks/struts (which were woefully undersized and didn’t hold the bed up).

I’ll take a look at the ones you suggested. Thanks!
Old 12-31-2017, 05:46 PM   #33
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat48 View Post
I currently have TT but thinking of 5er and thinking half bath would be nice not having the steps every time I go to bathroom. knees not good any more.

Make sure you walk through your choices and sit down on the 1/2 bath potty like you were “going”. Our 1/2 bath is crowded feeling; my wife and I use ours only when required.

We just walked through a toy hauler that had one and my shoulders literally touched the wall and door when I sat down.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:03 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restcure View Post
We keep the litterbox under one of the dinette benches. We took the storage door off the end so our cat could get in and out. It's easy access for scooping.
What a great idea! We had to take our old rescue beast on an impromptu camping trip in our Mini Lite while on the run from hurricane Harvey. We made a small litter box for him out of an old plastic food container (that will never see food again ) and stuck it in the corner under the pantry door. I never thought about removing one of the large drawers from the dinette slide that would give him access to the mostly empty storage space behind. He spent most of the trip hiding behind the sofa, that would have given him great personal space, and we wouldn't have to account for him before dropping the Murphy bed!
Thanks for the tip!
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:17 PM   #35

Why u no have bath and a half?

I would seriously look at the 2016 and 2017 Georgetown 364 TS units! The 2018’s are probably the same with a few improvements. But for the money for 2 full baths washer dryer combo dual pane windows bunks overhead bunk 22 foot frig convection microwave gas range two furnaces and two ac’s two heat strips and two hot water heaters and full body paint tile backsplash and Corian style counter and a King Size bed. I love it! There are prettier color schemes but for what you get for the money I Love It! Keeps DW happy having her own bath and or one for the grand Kids and family when they come. Also you could put all the cats in there also😄
Dennis King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:59 PM   #36

We have only one bath and no dinette. Our cat's litter box lives in the shower (on a mat to keep any litter spills out of the drain plumbing). When someone wants to use the shower we set the litter box on the john and close the bathroom door; the cat has no trouble waiting until we've put everything back in order. Our budget doesn't run to an extra bathroom for the cat.
ekrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:51 PM   #37
jkoenig24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
I agree with the above summary. But I do have a question. You state that the chassis (M2) is an HDT chassis. I always thought that the chassis was an MDT. Can you give me an example of where the line is between the two? I was thinking the Cascadia was an example of an HDT chassis. https://freightliner.com/trucks/medium-duty/
The GVWR determines what class a truck falls into. The Federal DOT set the following rules:

Class 1, 2, 3 = LDTs~Light Duty Trucks (think F150, F250, F350 generally).
Class 1: GVWR 0~6000 pounds
Class 2: GVWR 6001~10,000# with subdivisions of 2A: 6001~8,500 & 2B: 8,501~ 10,000#
Class 3: GVWR 10,001~14,000#

Class 4, 5, 6 = MDTs~Medium Duty Trucks (think F450, F550, F650 generally)
Class 4: GVWR 14,001~16,000#
Class 5: GVWR 16,001~19,000#
Class 6: GVWR 19,001~26,000#

Class 7 & 8 = HDTs~Heavy Duty Trucks (think F750, I don't know if Ford makes an F850; I've never seen or even heard of one)
Class 7: GVWR 26,001~33,000#
Class 8: GVWR 33,001 and up

The Freightliner M-2 Cab/chassis can be ordered as an MDT OR as an HDT. The deciding factor is the GVWR (that Freightliner engineers determine). Because a Freightliner M-2 can be a Class-7 HDT, be careful when replacing parts (particularly suspension & running gear) and ensure that you get HDT parts for an HDT.

My 2015 DX3-37RB has a GVWR of 33,000# and, a CVWR of 54,000#! Technically, I should be able to tow 21,000# (54,000# GCWR less the 33,000# GVWR). Dynamax installed a hitch who's weight rating is "only" 20,000# so, that derates my towing capacity to 20,000#. The "extra" 1000# I "lose" from tow capacity becomes an additional safety factor.

A quick way (other than checking GVWRs) to determine if a truck is a Class-6 MDT or a Class-7 HDT, is to check the engine size. MDTs rarely have diesel engines larger than ~ 7 liters. HDTs are usually ~9 liters. Class-8 HDTs engines generally start at ~11 liters (and can go up to ~16 liters).

I believe the Dynamax Force line units are built on MDT cab/chassis. Other builders look to be doing the same. I've always understood a true Super-C Class RV is built on an HDT cab/chassis. MDTs are simply Class-C RVs that "wanna-be" Super-Cs (but aren't).
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:58 PM   #38

VERY GOOD explanation! I expect that we all will benefit for the time you spent putting the above together. Now if I can only remember what you said. I have a CRS problem.
Thanks,
Bob
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote