Old 07-04-2016, 11:04 AM   #1
Window Valence Removal description

My dinette table window shade was hanging off. There is terrible visibility on how to get the whole piece down so I thought I would share how it is put on to save somebody else some time. With a wooden structure and tiny wood screws, these will be a problem over time with how smooth all of our interstate highways and byways are.

First off, I have big hands but not huge. How you can get in there to begin with unless you are a 9 year old child amazes me. Without a good way to see under the valenance, you have no way of knowing how they installed them.

The shades are held in place by clips. If you run your fingers in front of the shade you should feel them and be able to and push up to release the clip. The dinnette has three clips.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9221.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	113035

Name:	IMG_9220.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	113036

The whole valence is then held onto the wall by two small angle brackets.

Name:	IMG_9222.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	113037

What worked for me was a cordless screw gun with a 12" bit extension. The longer the better to be able to fit up behind the roller shades.

My initial problem of the shade hanging was caused by one of the shade clips screw being stripped and falling out. Also one of the screws holding the valence to the wall was missing. The entire piece is held on by 7 small screws and I was missing 3 (one gone on the bottom side) . The bottom sides are visible.

I was unable to install the roller into the valence then try and put the entire window up. It probably can be done if you do this a time or two. I put up the valence, then installed the roller shades. There is not any room and you have to torque on the roller shade a bit to get them into the clips but I got it done.

2016 Dynamax DX3
viperdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:07 PM   #2
Thanks for this level of technical detail.

2016 Force HD
2016 Force HD 36
BLK-9 is offline   Reply With Quote