Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2019, 04:01 PM   #1
Jim & Gerry

Winegard connect missing channels

I was able to get into the Winegard connect, update to the latest software was successful.

Before I updated the software, the antenna would not pick up any channel lower than 21 (our locals incle 2, 9).

After the update, I am still not able to pick up the lower channels. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Gerry
Jeep Renegade
MovnOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovnOn View Post
I was able to get into the Winegard connect, update to the latest software was successful.

Before I updated the software, the antenna would not pick up any channel lower than 21 (our locals incle 2, 9).

After the update, I am still not able to pick up the lower channels. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Gerry

What "Winegard" do you have & what satellite service?
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:26 PM   #3
Commercial Member

The Winegard connect is two different things. Wifi and TV. DO you have the TV booster ON? There should be two lights. The one on the left (as I recall is the TV booster and the right side is the WiFi power switch.

And the update would have nothing to do with the TV antenna side I wouldn't think...just the WiFi part.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:55 PM   #4
Jim & Gerry

Yes

Both lights are on. I even turned them both off for a few minutes to see if that would make a difference. It did not.

The TV is set up for air not cable. If no one has any suggestions, will try calling Winegard Monday.

As to our satellite system, it works great. We have the Winegard Traveler and Direct TV. The antenna was installed at the factory.

The Winegard Connect 2.0 was also factory installed and is new to us. We have always had the batwing. WiFi parts works great, just having the over the air antenna issue.

Thanks Brian
Jeep Renegade
Old 12-06-2019, 07:55 PM   #5

Quote:

Thanks, Gerry

Did anything change from when you DID get your local channels or were you never able to get them?
Old 12-07-2019, 08:08 AM   #6
Jim & Gerry

No. At the dealer they had already done the channel scan. Not knowing their over the air channels, it appeared to be working. We did the channel scan when we first got home to check it out, and realized that there were no channels below 21 (2 and 9 are major networks here).

Not knowing this device decided to make sure it had the latest software before asking anything.

Thanks, Gerry

Just thought of something. This has 4 TVs. There are 3 connections on the back of the wall plate controls (according to the book). Only checked the TV in the cabover. Wonder if on splitter or? It is stashed away in the barn. Will bring it out later and check the other TVs. Dealer showed us the over the air channels on the one in the entertainment center,
Jeep Renegade
Old 12-07-2019, 01:50 PM   #7

Quote:
No. At the dealer they had already done the channel scan. Not knowing their over the air channels, it appeared to be working. We did the channel scan when we first got home to check it out, and realized that there were no channels below 21 (2 and 9 are major networks here).

Not knowing this device decided to make sure it had the latest software before asking anything.

Thanks, Gerry

Just thought of something. This has 4 TVs. There are 3 connections on the back of the wall plate controls (according to the book). Only checked the TV in the cabover. Wonder if on splitter or? It is stashed away in the barn. Will bring it out later and check the other TVs. Dealer showed us the over the air channels on the one in the entertainment center,

It's quite possible you're too far away from the Tv station transmitters that broadcast those channels and that's why the channel scan won't find them. 45-65 miles depending on terrain & other obstructions is about the best you'll get with an antenna that is only about 10-12 feet off the ground.
Also, those multidirectional antennas aren't as good as the old batwing with a wingman attachment that you could aim directly at the Tv stations signal.

Try the following to find out how far away those lower stations are from your house. Just enter your exact address and it will tell you what direction & how many miles to the transmitters antenna.

www.antennaweb.org

Old 12-07-2019, 02:35 PM   #8
Jim & Gerry

Thank you, tried that; it was helpful. The station distances range from 8 to 21. I get several at 21. The two I can’t get are 18 and 16. The antenna type is red. The ones I am getting are coded blue. ???
Jeep Renegade
Old 12-07-2019, 03:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Thank you, tried that; it was helpful. The station distances range from 8 to 21. I get several at 21. The two I can’t get are 18 and 16. The antenna type is red. The ones I am getting are coded blue. ???

I'm glad it helped. The antenna type is the type of specific design of antenna that would be placed on your house if you ever decide to "cut the cable" as they say. It doesn't help us RV'er because we are stuck with whatever Winegard can design for us. It's usually a generic type and may be lacking in a design that a true "red" type antenna may pull. Did you notice on the web site how far away channels 16 & 18 were? Were they farther than the ones you are able to get? If so then you're probably just out of range.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:26 PM   #10
Jim & Gerry

Sorry, all the numbers were miles not channel numbers.
Jeep Renegade
Old 12-07-2019, 08:16 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Hi Rider
Winegard connect missing channels

Not sure if my response is applicable, but here goes. I have a Dish playmate. Home base is Montana, where the Dish account is and also where the primary receiver is located. When I travel out of state, I do not get the lower channel numbers (local channels like ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX). If I were to call Dish and say I want those channels, then that would adversely affect the home base receiver. So, I go to AIR, or, Cable when traveling.
2020 - 162 Days and 5,359 Miles
2021 - 113 Days and 3,835 Miles
2022 - 35 Days and counting, and 3,372 Miles and counting
Hi Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:40 PM   #12
Jim & Gerry

Thanks Hi-Rider,

Sorry for not giving enough information—. There are two Winegard devices on our roof. One is the Winegard Traveller Satellite Dish. It works great; and is configured for Direct TV. We do get the local channels for that (not as easy as changing locals with Dish, but...)

The second device is called a Winegard Connect. It provides a WiFi function (booster and can also be the equivalent of a “mifi “.) It also provides the function of an over the air batwing antenna. It is with this that I cannot get the lower over the air channels.

To rule out several factors, we have decided to wait to call Winegard. We are camping over the holidays where in the past we have picked up many New Orleans TV stations. We are going to try it out there and see what we get.

I am going to also check the New Orleans stations with the website rracer gave me.

Thanks to all for helping. Will post what I find out. Not leaving home until the 19th.
Jeep Renegade
Old 12-08-2019, 07:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks Hi-Rider,

Sorry for not giving enough information—. There are two Winegard devices on our roof. One is the Winegard Traveller Satellite Dish. It works great; and is configured for Direct TV. We do get the local channels for that (not as easy as changing locals with Dish, but...)

The second device is called a Winegard Connect. It provides a WiFi function (booster and can also be the equivalent of a “mifi “.) It also provides the function of an over the air batwing antenna. It is with this that I cannot get the lower over the air channels.

To rule out several factors, we have decided to wait to call Winegard. We are camping over the holidays where in the past we have picked up many New Orleans TV stations. We are going to try it out there and see what we get.

I am going to also check the New Orleans stations with the website rracer gave me.

Thanks to all for helping. Will post what I find out. Not leaving home until the 19th.

X2
Old 12-19-2019, 09:35 PM   #14
Jim & Gerry

Update

We are now camping on the North Shore of Lake Pontchatrain and the New Orleans stations are coming thru just fine. Must be something about the lower Baton Rouge channels. Thanks to all for your input. Merry Christmas
Jeep Renegade

Tags
winegard