Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2016, 02:42 PM   #1

Winter use

For the people using their rig in the winter what are you doing to keep the lines from freezing?

This is my first RV and my first winter so I could use some advise.

I'm going to keep it parked outside on a pad and hooked up to electric when home but we plan on taking several extended weekend trips with it where we will not be hooked up. I see there is tank heaters but what about all the lines and filtration system?

I read about fuel additive but then heard you didn't use it if you used blended fuel. Any truth to this?

I don't want to add antifreeze because we will be using it.

I thought about buying some small heaters with a remote thermostat to monitor. If I go that route I will have to add 120v plugs in the compartments and run with the generator on constant.

Thoughts?

19 States
2016 Dynamax Force HD
ablarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 02:54 PM   #2

drain tanks- black grey and fresh
drain hot water tank
air blow the water lines - hot and cold

thats about all you can do
myhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 03:04 PM   #3

On the tank heater there is no indicator light as to what is on or off? I'm assuming up is on. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1476561873.393159.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	123035

19 States
2016 Dynamax Force HD
Old 10-15-2016, 03:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablarson View Post
On the tank heater there is no indicator light as to what is on or off? I'm assuming up is on. Attachment 123035

19 States
2016 Dynamax Force HD

That would be my guess too
myhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:30 PM   #5

Last year was my first winter with an RV.

Others on this FR Forum suggested this method which worked for me.

All tanks were drained and antifreeze run through all water lines. Don't forget your showers.

I then added some antifreeze to black and grey tanks.

I had about 6 gallon jugs of water that I kept in a tub in the shower. The tub was insurance that if the gallon container leaked it would contain the liquid.

I used the water from those jugs to flush the toilet as needed. After each flush or maybe a few I would add more antifreeze.

That worked all winter.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:18 PM   #6
Love my Rev

think they all missed what you asked ? So If you live anywhere up north where it freezes - you can not use your water system ( it will freeze and you will regret it - big time ) . Winterize it and use your rig without water !
steve32409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:49 PM   #7
WFD

Like Steve says...it all depends where exactly you live....if its an area like MN, ND, or most of Canada, if you don't use antifreeze, you will have to blow out all your lines after each use.You say you will use it several times so that tells me it can't be that cold where you are if you will be able to keep using it, in which case blowing out the lines may be sufficient.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:14 AM   #8

I wouldn't say it doesn't get cold here. The record is 60 below. The average temp is about 15 degrees in December.

Sounds like the way to go is to blow the lines out before leaving the campground so they don't freeze while driving. Once at the campground plug in a heater and wireless thermostat to the wet bay. Leave the tank heaters on all the time. Only hook up to water to fill then disconnect. Only put drain hose in to dump them disconnect.

I think I will try to insulate the wetbay and find a pair of non used wires to hook up a 12 volt heater with switch in cab. That way I wouldn't have to blow the lines out before driving.

Is there a video that shows how to properly blow the lines out so I don't wreck anything?

19 States
2016 Dynamax Force HD
Old 10-17-2016, 12:00 PM   #9
Love my Rev

don't think anyone uses any water at all in their RV up north through the winter . I also don't think any or most campgrounds even have their water on in winter anyway ( I owned a campground in Panama city , fl. and on a few cold nights - had frozen and busted lines once they thawed out the next day ) I would say no water at all in your motor home through cold weather . You can blow out , but I prefer to use antifreeze , then no chance of excess water finding a low spot in the line .
steve32409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:18 PM   #10

I am going to look at insullating and heating the wet bay for use all year round.
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:27 AM   #11
Commercial Member

There should be a heat run from the furnace in there already. If you can insulated that pass through utility bay (foam the outside of the rotocast box). It should stay toasty as long as the furnace is operating.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
There should be a heat run from the furnace in there already. If you can insulated that pass through utility bay (foam the outside of the rotocast box). It should stay toasty as long as the furnace is operating.

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍 I just went outside and checked and it does stay nice and warm in there. Now to start insulating. I haven't tried yet but I imagine that only works with the furnace and not the heat pumps/AC.

Thanks Brian!

19 States
2016 Dynamax Force HD
Old 10-20-2016, 10:52 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Correct, the Heat pump does not have a duct run the basement

Old 10-21-2016, 07:59 PM   #14

What kind of foam would you use for insulation on the outside of the compartment?
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:17 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Where you can on the inside, they make a closed cell, reflective stick on insulation. On the outside, an expanding spray foam normally works.

Tags
winter

« DX3 4x4 | Dx3 HELP »