Old 10-19-2018, 08:28 PM   #1

Winterizing '19 Force HD

I did not want to derail the other thread for the Isata's so thought I would start new thread. I am winterizing tomorrow and will blow out with air first but would really like to add the antifreeze also. I did not see any winterizing valves or anything in any of my manuals so if anybody could give some advice it sure would be appreciated. I'm not sure how to pump the antifreeze through the lines and the water pump. Also not sure about the hot water heater. Thanks for any help.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:02 PM   #2

My old process (not necessary anymore) was to:
1. drain water heater. This becomes the storage tank for the air.

2. Pressure tank with about 40-50 lbs of air.

3. open the various faucets and let the air push out any water in the lines. Don't forget the toilet. You will have to re-pressure the tank a couple times.
4. Pour about a cup of RV anti-freeze in each trap. Toilet also
Your done.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
My old process (not necessary anymore) was to:
1. drain water heater. This becomes the storage tank for the air.

2. Pressure tank with about 40-50 lbs of air.

3. open the various faucets and let the air push out any water in the lines. Don't forget the toilet. You will have to re-pressure the tank a couple times.
4. Pour about a cup of RV anti-freeze in each trap. Toilet also
Your done.
I know you are right but dang it makes me nervous not having any antifreeze in the lines. I have only winterized a camper that was set up permanent and would crawl underneath and disconnect the fresh water tank outlet and then cut the pump on to circulate the antifreeze but I dont think thats possible with this one.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:25 PM   #4

Ahh I forgot to mention to drain all tanks, fresh, black and gray. You were gonna to that anyhow.

If you blow out the water lines there is no water left to freeze except for some residual which poses no problem. However, you must feel comfortable with what you do. I don't remember what I did with the water pump. I've been parking in AZ for the last 7 years and preparing for freezing is history.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:53 PM   #5

I just winterized my DX3 and I start by removing the anode from the hot water heater and letting it drain completely, also remove the filter element from the water filter. Then I close hot & cold valves at the water heater & open the bypass valve. Next I connect compressed air at low pressure to the water supply hose. Then we open each of the interior & exterior water valves (including the toilet) one at a time until mostly air comes out. Next I briefly open the hot & cold valves at the water heater. After most of the water is out, I pump antifreeze into the system thru the water supply hose, and open each water valve one at a time until pink fluid comes out. Then I open the hot & cold valves at the water heater until antifreeze comes out of the anode/drain opening. After all of this is done I drain the gray & black tanks.

If you have a residential frig w/ water & ice dispenser you'll also have to dispense water until antifreeze comes out. For the ice make I had to run the frig w/ the water system pressurized w/ antifreeze until it started making pink cubes, which took a few hours. After that we closed the water valve to the frig and haven't used the dispenser since because it's such a pain to winterize. We just buy bags of ice as required & put them in the freezer compartment.

We've done this for the last 2 winters and can do everything in about 1/2 an hour if everyone pays attention & does their task when instructed. That's the hard part.
Silver Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:42 PM   #6

Don't forget to pour into your sinks, shower... to get anti-freeze in the traps.

The water heater will just have air in it after you pull the anode and bypass it.
wfo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:37 PM   #7

Ok I think I am good on most of this now but how do I pump antifreeze through the water supply hose. Is this done with an external pump? Like a small 12v on demand pump?
Old 10-20-2018, 10:00 AM   #8

Does that coach not have the Anderson valve?
Old 10-20-2018, 10:13 AM   #9

i've seen you guys talk about an Anderson valve but i dont really know what it is so i will say no...
Old 10-20-2018, 11:21 AM   #10

Since you probably have a water tank under the bed, the pump is most likely right there and has a valve and suction hose to pull antifreeze directly from the bottle. Take a look it should be obvious.

Anderson valve more or less lets you go to that mode from the outside connection.

wfo9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter