Old 07-12-2016, 09:09 AM   #1

Winterizing DX3

I know this seems like an odd time to be thinking about this, but here goes:

What's the expected hookup point for antifreeze on the DX3?

In the spring when I got caught with a cold snap I disconnected the hose from the tank and let the pump pull out of a bucket but there's got to be an easier way than disassembling the bed every time.

Currently thinking about adding a 3 way valve and a hose under there that could be accessed from the panel under the W/D. Also wondering if there's a way to get a hose/valve down into the wet bay and keep the anti freeze out of the bedroom altogether.

Thoughts?

Old 07-12-2016, 10:31 AM   #2
GM

that is the expected hook up point. For whatever reason, we get little to no complaints about the winterizing process. Maybe the truck owners are just more resourceful, aren't winterizing or have someone else do it. On small class C's people complained all the time so we have a 3 way valve with "take up" tube.

I hope to add a similar set up going forward on the trucks. Our small C's have an Anderson valve, which handles city water, tank fill and winterizing.

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:00 AM   #3

Roger that. Easy enough to work out a take up tube somewhere.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:33 AM   #4

Going to resurrect this one as the time to do the deed is quickly approaching. Still haven't decided on exactly my route but wanted to get some more input:

1. Thinking about just using an external pump to pump outside through the city water hose. Pros are this will be super easy and also cover the hose and the filter enclosure. Con is I cant think of a way to get the hose to the pump or the pump winterized without filling the fresh tank.

2. Would be as mentioned above, but the act of getting 5 gal antifreeze under/near the bed is not one I'm crazy about. Thinking about either putting the valve under the W/D and dropping the tube to the wet bay or just running a hose down to the wet bay and put the valve there. Is there a layout that would allow me to use the city water hose coming up but add a valve before the pump (ie use the pump to pull city water)? I'm having trouble visualizing that schematic though.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:36 PM   #5

I use an external water pump and 12v to run it. Suction hose side in pink gallon of antifreeze output side to rv water hose. I bypass filtration system before turning pump on. Also shut off ice maker/water in refrigerator line located under refrigerator. Bypass water heater and drain. Turn pump on open faucets, flush toilets, shower lines and so on.. till pink appears. Takes about 2 1/2 gallons. Done 30 min.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:39 PM   #6

I usuall use compressed air first to blow lines out and run internal water pump to expell water. Forgot to mention this is my first step
Old 10-27-2016, 03:45 PM   #7

Ok yeah that sounds about like my plan as it stands
Old 10-27-2016, 04:25 PM   #8
GM

Out of curiosity, what are you guys doing for the Washing machine?
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Old 10-27-2016, 04:35 PM   #9

Tbh havent run the washer or the ice maker yet so was just going to go with air

Very good consideration though!
Old 10-27-2016, 04:40 PM   #10
GM

I actually chastised myself after posting that...and went to read the manual. there is a step in there. Says to put some RV antifreeze in the drum and run a Spin/drain cycle.

Tags
winter, winterize