Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2019, 04:10 PM   #1

Winterizing with antifreeze and fresh water tank.

I have a 2019 Isata 3 24FW. I'm about to winterize and the owner's manual recommends to add enough antifreeze to be above the minimum fill in the fresh water tank (if I use that method). How do I know what that amount is? How many"gallons" of antifreeze?
fishyknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:35 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyknitter View Post
I have a 2019 Isata 3 24FW. I'm about to winterize and the owner's manual recommends to add enough antifreeze to be above the minimum fill in the fresh water tank (if I use that method). How do I know what that amount is? How many"gallons" of antifreeze?
Are you positive your owner's manual tells you to put antifreeze IN your fresh water tank? That's highly frowned upon on this forum.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:58 PM   #3

Yes I'm sure I read the "fill above minimum" part.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:13 PM   #4

I would recommend you drain the potable water tank and water heater plus bypass and only run antifreeze thru the water delivery lines allow pink stuff to go down the drains into the gray and black tanks(they should be emptied for winterizing) don't forget the outside shower and sprayer on the toilet if you have one. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:13 PM   #5
Site Team

I would never add antifreeze to the FW tank. It will require about 3-4 times the amount of doing it correctly as well as being very difficult to clean out. If you have a winterizing system, use it if not I would purchase one and install it. Simple install. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Permane...SIN=B0006JJ588

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:14 PM   #6

do not put antifreeze in your FW tank. Us a bypass kit. $15.00 2 gal of antifreeze
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:13 PM   #7
Site Team

The OP has a Dynamax Motorhome so I'm sure it doesn't need an add-on bypass winterizing kit.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:25 PM   #8

I'm so appreciative of the helpful replies! After bypassing and draining my water heater, I followed the recommended method using my air compressor. I have a small (24ft) RV so it didn't take long to blow out the system and add antifreeze to the drains and p-traps. I'm learning! Merry Christmas!
Old 12-09-2019, 08:53 AM   #9
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyknitter View Post
I'm so appreciative of the helpful replies! After bypassing and draining my water heater, I followed the recommended method using my air compressor. I have a small (24ft) RV so it didn't take long to blow out the system and add antifreeze to the drains and p-traps. I'm learning! Merry Christmas!
Now that you have completed your task, you probably understand why everyone was saying don't add antifreeze to the fresh water tank. Had you done that to fill it above the minimum fill line, it would have taken several gallons to accomplish that, plus you would be flushing that tank forever in order to get rid of it all. Totally unnecessary...keep coming back and keep learning all about your systems! Enjoy!
Old 12-09-2019, 09:03 AM   #10
Site Team

Double check that you completely blew out the toilet valve. It takes about a tablespoon of water to freeze and split it. I have the T-shirt!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:09 AM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Now that you have completed your task, you probably understand why everyone was saying don't add antifreeze to the fresh water tank. Had you done that to fill it above the minimum fill line, it would have taken several gallons to accomplish that, plus you would be flushing that tank forever in order to get rid of it all. Totally unnecessary...keep coming back and keep learning all about your systems! Enjoy!
EXCEPT....
Now the OP doesn't have antifreeze in their plumbing lines, only the drains and P-traps.

There are those of us that believe from seeing elbows and valves break and from the many posts here about things breaking when not using antifreeze, that adding antifreeze to the plumbing lines is an important part of winterizing.

I agree... adding the antifreeze to the fresh tank is NOT a good idea.

There are other ways to accomplish this.

The factory has started to add winterization ports to many R/Vs in recent years (to keep from adding antifreeze to the fresh tank) and there are aftermarket kits that plumb into the pump available too. Hand pump kits are out there as well.

Through the MANY discussions here on whether to add antifreeze to the plumbing or just blow out with air, the opinion is somewhat divided and only the person doing the winterizing can make the decision best for them once they have ALL the options.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:20 AM   #12
Commercial Member

We just got done adding a "take up tube" to all models. The trucks always had it....the 3 series has the "Anderson Valve" for winterizing....but I think what happens is most people "drain the lines first"...then there is not enough suction with all that air in the lines to draw the antifreeze into the Anderson valve.

So...for the Anderson Valve, you should not drain the lines. But put a cut off hose from the Anderson valve to the antifreeze jug. Then run the pump from there. That way you keep the suction pressure. However, that is why I asked to add a take up tube as well...to try and keep things consistent across all models or if you drain first...you can use the take up tube right at the pump. I still get a little concerned about the lines from the inlet to the pump...but low point should take care of those.

Also why I asked to have the water heater bypass the same on both. We have one on both...but the 3 series is not the "H" style you always see. It was simplified with a (2) valve system with one being a 3-way. But almost every image you see out there is the "H" style.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:56 AM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Brian, I commend you for your forward thinking.

Knowing the "H" style of bypass is the most common and seeing you wrestle with wanting something standard is encouraging to know the R/V industry is putting some thought into things.

And while I agree the "H" style of bypass is the most common.... ultimately... making sure the CUSTOMER is trained on what THEY have, via the proper literature or Customer Orientation at the dealer level, is paramount.

At this point, I believe Dynamax is head and shoulders above the other divisions in that regard.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:48 AM   #14
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Brian, I commend you for your forward thinking.

Knowing the "H" style of bypass is the most common and seeing you wrestle with wanting something standard is encouraging to know the R/V industry is putting some thought into things.

And while I agree the "H" style of bypass is the most common.... ultimately... making sure the CUSTOMER is trained on what THEY have, via the proper literature or Customer Orientation at the dealer level, is paramount.

At this point, I believe Dynamax is head and shoulders above the other divisions in that regard.
lol...I'm glad you mention documentation and training as we are in the process of updating 100% of our data to be "brand specific".

I'll need to figure out a way to reward the "major contributors". maybe some Dynamax hats or demo products when we get them. See http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-a-198894.html

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:20 PM   #15

I have a 2015 Dynaquest 320xl. I couldnt figure out where the hookup was to draw antifreeze through mine. I ended up blowing it out with air but it would be nice if someone could direct me to the location where I can pump antifreeze.
Jacksonjack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:35 PM   #16

Just be sure you leave ALL faucets open so they drain too. The previous owner did not resulting in a blown faucet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36D565BE-8A90-4CA8-9779-28D588D57416.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	220340  
Minthillbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:54 PM   #17

FW tank

Open your low water drains and drive it around the block. Getting anti-freeze out of FW tanks takes several fills and emptying. Blow out lines and empty grey tanks. Dump some Anti-free in drains and toilet. Put low water caps back on. Drain water heater.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:01 AM   #18

can't access the water heater

The water heater on our I-5 is under the bed, enclosed with paneling. There's no (easy) way to access it without a sawzall... so I don't know if there's a bypass plumbed into it. I could make a panel that I could take on and off, but does anyone know for sure if there's a bypass before I start cutting? I'm thinking that someone ran out of screws and just used a nail gun when the bed was built.
I've been winterizing with an air compressor because Truma says not to run antifreeze through the water heater. But I think that sooner or later I'll miss something or forget to drain a line and then wish I had used antifreeze.
jdebevec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:07 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonjack1 View Post
I have a 2015 Dynaquest 320xl. I couldnt figure out where the hookup was to draw antifreeze through mine. I ended up blowing it out with air but it would be nice if someone could direct me to the location where I can pump antifreeze.
The antifreeze connection goes between the pump and the FW tank. T fitting, open close valve and a 2' hose.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:10 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdebevec View Post
The water heater on our I-5 is under the bed, enclosed with paneling. There's no (easy) way to access it without a sawzall... so I don't know if there's a bypass plumbed into it. I could make a panel that I could take on and off, but does anyone know for sure if there's a bypass before I start cutting? I'm thinking that someone ran out of screws and just used a nail gun when the bed was built.
I've been winterizing with an air compressor because Truma says not to run antifreeze through the water heater. But I think that sooner or later I'll miss something or forget to drain a line and then wish I had used antifreeze.
cut a 3" or 4 " hole and see what behind it.

Tags
antifreeze, fresh water, tank, water, water tank, winter