Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2018, 11:40 AM   #1

Xantrex inverter charger reading incorrect voltage

My unit sees 1 to 2 volts lower than actual. Thus it goes into full charge and has cooked my batteries. For example the batteries are currently at 13.2 volts but the Xantrex thinks it is 11.4. The charger then engages at 25 amps or so at 15.5 volts or so and is over charging the batteries as the unit thinks the batteries are low when they are not.

I have tested the voltage with a multimeter and it agrees with the Zamp numbers and the Multiplex. I have checked this all the way to the Xantrex leads and all others that I could find. (I wish I knew where the Xantrex voltage sensor was)

I have replaced the batteries and charged them with the Xantrex but then disconnected it so as to not ruin the new batteries. All the connections look clean.

Any ideas?
daveinthekeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:28 PM   #2
Commercial Member

First recommendation is to put your year and model in your signature so you don't forget to mention it and forgetful me doesn't have to ask. 2018 Isata 5 36DS? 2017 Dynaquest XL 37TS?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:21 PM   #3

Yes, including that info would be a big help. Sorry. (Isata 5 DS)

I called Xantrex technical assistance a few hours ago. And based on my disconnecting the unit for at least 12 hours. (I did two days while I bought new batteries). And my reset of the unit to the defaults. (in the advanced settings). The tech person said that I should take it in for warranty work as there was nothing more I could do. Sadly nobody is located in Wisconsin where I am currently who is authorized to do these repairs. Thus when I get home to Florida I will take it to Ft Lauderdale.

Meanwhile, I ordered a new one. As we are planning a month long trip from Wisconsin to Florida. I need the charger/inverter to be happy. (We do this drive twice each year from our summer and winter homes. While it is difficult to figure out new ways to extend a few days drive to at least 30 days. We have managed it for over 6 years in various motorhomes.)

I may need help proving the date of usage perhaps, or somehow identifying that it is less than two years for the warranty. Though I may have that already in the files that came with the coach. I seem to remember some details about the specific components listed in that file box.) Or I am dreaming. Finding the equipment list and sales receipt from the dealer. Should be enough documentation I assume.

The coach is located several hours away at a friends farm. I went there to install the new batteries and found the issues with the inverter/charger last night.

My plan is to go there again next week and install the new unit. I will search for needed documentation and holler for help. If I need it. My plan is to drop the Xantrex off in Ft Lauderdale FL in late October.

Brian, thank you for responding.

Dave
daveinthekeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:28 AM   #4
Commercial Member

No worries...and I think the Xantrex might have a 3 year warranty. Not sure about the voltage sensors and if that comes with it or is an add one. I'll try and find that out.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:20 PM   #5

Just a thought. If you want this to be covered under warranty, you may want to contact your dealer and keep them in the loop, include the information that the tech. told you take it in to the dealer. It is common among other industries, I am not sure about the RV, they like to deny any after the fact claims.They may be willing to pay for you to go to a RV repair shop nearest, to you, to have it checked out?
Guys am I wrong?
David

Tags
inverter, voltage