Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2018, 12:11 PM   #1

Xantrex Inverter Failure

My inverter has failed. It is the Xantrex Freedom SW Inverter/Charger. Model number 815-2012. The fault code is F85, powerboard over temperature. I've contacted Schneider Electric and they told me to disconnect all power for at least 48 hours. I've done this and the fault remains and the inverter is inoperable in stand-alone and/or with shore power. I am wondering if there is a warranty or how to get this repaired. Has anyone else had their inverter fail?

BClemens: I've sent you a PM with my VIN. Please advise on how to get this taken care of.

Thank you,
Shawn Bradshaw
Stroker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:25 PM   #2

Maybe this will help

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...4&d=1532026032
Old 12-04-2018, 12:56 AM   #3

My unit went bad after only using it a few times. Xantrac was little to no help and I had to find a repair facility on my own. I was very lucky as I was in Seattle at the time and the guy came out, removed and took to shop, replaced 3 circuit boards, and returned and installed on same day. I was supposed to get charged a trip charge but I guess a good tip helped as I was never charged and the service from the guy was amazing.
NV DX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:59 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. It looks like I'm SOL. I've contacted both Schneider Electric and my area Dynamax rep and neither are willing to step up and help. Unfortunately my rig warranty just recently expired so it looks like a $1300+ bill I've got to deal with now. My Isata 5 is one of the early units produced so all the design issues that I'm experiencing have been dealt with in the newer models. Here's a quick synopsis:

1. No nav system--nice big display in the cab that's basically useless. Had to put in my old Garmen.
2. No rearview camera--again, nice big display that you can't use to keep an eye on your towed vehicle. I had to buy and install a auxiliary system so now I have two nice big displays in the cab.
3. POS on demand water heater--what were they thinking? Dynamax upgraded to Truma. I'm still stuck with the junk one from Attwood.
4. No arm rests for the cab seats--what were they thinking? Dynamax came up with a retrofit kit, but you either had to pull out your seats, ship them to an installer or do it yourself. Kinda hard when you don't live anywhere close to a dealer.
5. Black water tank is way too small for the macerator toilet--even after moving the fill guages and reducing water flow level we still can't make it through a long weekend without having to dump when dry camping.
6. Nice Xantrex control system that came with AGS module but was never linked to the front Air Conditioner--what were they thinking?
7. Motor for electic entry step went out--Dynamax stepped up and sent me a new motor and I replaced it.
8. Entry door lock failed before we even took the rig out. Dynamax stepped up and sent me a new one and I replaced it.
9. No shade for entry door. Dynamax stepped up and sent me one and I installed it.
10. And the big one. Xantrex inverter failed after only just over two years. Dynamax has since gone with a different system/supplier, leaving me holding the bag.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:07 AM   #5

"6. Nice Xantrex control system that came with AGS module but was never linked to the AC system--what were they thinking?"

are you referring to 120v AC electricity 'AC system'? or the Air Conditioners 'AC system'?

as for the Inverter, Magnum comes with a terrific customer service group, very technically proficient and ready to help, and a THREE year warranty.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:15 AM   #6

With the AGS module, you're supposed to be able to set a temperature and when that temperature is reached the generator will start and the front air conditioner will turn on as you're driving down the road. I've heard directly from a Dynamax representative that this feature was not activated/installed completely. He told me it amounted to running a wire from the AGS to the AC unit and they never did it. There's probably a more technical explanation, but that's what it boils down to. And I've heard about the Magnum set up. I believe that's what Dynamax has gone to. Unfortunately for me I have the Xantrex system.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
it actually may not be that difficult to add the additional 'sensor' wire that you need, as the typical AGS "TEMP" reading can come from either an internal Thermostat connection, OR an external 'sensor', which can be placed anywhere in the coach.
You might look into the Xantrex model you have and see if they offer this 'sensor' wire to give you the option of using the TEMP setting to start the generator.

Also, of course, you have to have your Air Conditioner ON, at the Thermostat, and ready to start it's compressor when the Generator power comes online.
Yes, I'm well aware of all of that. It was not installed correctly by Dynamax and should have been. There has to be a connection between the AGS module and the air conditioner/thermostat. Running a wire between the two may not be impossible, but it will be difficult at best.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:32 AM   #8

after reading about the Xantrex AGS module, I like the way they give the ability to not only start the Generator for various reasons, but to also stop the generator when it reaches a Battery LEVEL, or the presence of 120v EXTERNAL Shore Power, very nice.

My previous comment was deleted due to the fact the Xantrex actually does NOT show the ability to wire a separate 'sensor' for TEMP control, it's only provided thru it's wiring harness to the Thermostat(s)...
Old 12-04-2018, 09:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
after reading about the Xantrex AGS module, I like the way they give the ability to not only start the Generator for various reasons, but to also stop the generator when it reaches a Battery LEVEL, or the presence of 120v EXTERNAL Shore Power, very nice.

My previous comment was deleted due to the fact the Xantrex actually does NOT show the ability to wire a separate 'sensor' for TEMP control, it's only provided thru it's wiring harness to the Thermostat(s)...
Exactly. Now you know why I'm upset about it. The Xantrex system does have some nice capablilities, just don't understand why Dynamax chose to not connect/install them. I'm going to take a look at this to see if I can possibly run a wire between the AGS module and the thermostat. However, the electronics rep from Dynamax told me there has to be a wire to the air conditioner as well so I kind of put it on the back burner. I don't see why this would have to be done, as the AGS module manual identifies the wires that need to be run to the thermostat only. I'm hoping that the wiring harness has the wires and Dynamax just left them disconnected. Maybe BClemens will chime in here with some more info. P.S. My buddy has the Palazzo rig like yours. It's a 2017 MY I believe. He's having trouble keeping his inverter cool. It's the Magnum setup. He's going to try to install an external fan in that bay to see if it helps. Have you run into this problem?
Old 12-04-2018, 10:08 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker09 View Post
Thanks for the replies. It looks like I'm SOL. I've contacted both Schneider Electric and my area Dynamax rep and neither are willing to step up and help. Unfortunately my rig warranty just recently expired so it looks like a $1300+ bill I've got to deal with now. My Isata 5 is one of the early units produced so all the design issues that I'm experiencing have been dealt with in the newer models. Here's a quick synopsis:

1. No nav system--nice big display in the cab that's basically useless. Had to put in my old Garmen.
2. No rearview camera--again, nice big display that you can't use to keep an eye on your towed vehicle. I had to buy and install a auxiliary system so now I have two nice big displays in the cab.
3. POS on demand water heater--what were they thinking? Dynamax upgraded to Truma. I'm still stuck with the junk one from Attwood.
4. No arm rests for the cab seats--what were they thinking? Dynamax came up with a retrofit kit, but you either had to pull out your seats, ship them to an installer or do it yourself. Kinda hard when you don't live anywhere close to a dealer.
5. Black water tank is way too small for the macerator toilet--even after moving the fill guages and reducing water flow level we still can't make it through a long weekend without having to dump when dry camping.
6. Nice Xantrex control system that came with AGS module but was never linked to the front Air Conditioner--what were they thinking?
7. Motor for electic entry step went out--Dynamax stepped up and sent me a new motor and I replaced it.
8. Entry door lock failed before we even took the rig out. Dynamax stepped up and sent me a new one and I replaced it.
9. No shade for entry door. Dynamax stepped up and sent me one and I installed it.
10. And the big one. Xantrex inverter failed after only just over two years. Dynamax has since gone with a different system/supplier, leaving me holding the bag.
Your coach was registered in August of 2016. So you're saying we're not willing to step up to cover a repair on an appliance, that is 16 months past most OEM warranties and 4 months past the already longer than most 2 years warranty?

1. No Nav System: it is available with a module from Ram. That is the Ram stock radio...there is NO GPS that we can offer other than their version and you would pay more for us to have it done than what a Ram dealer would charge you. So we opted not to include it. Others have added the module on this site for far less than my cost and it is still available from the dealer today.

2. On the Ram 5500, they do not offer a camera button. So even when we tried to use the Dodge rear camera, we could not get it to display while driving (only in reverse)...so we did exactly what you did, add a camera...and raised the price.

3. The Atwood worked fine until they did the recall. I'd be happy to see about having Truma install a Truma at our cost with a black door. But the thing is...the price of the Isata 5 also went up a bunch to get that Truma. So you got a really good bargain compared to what an Isata 5 costs today. My offer stands...if you are ever by the Truma facility, I will call in some favors and get the Atwood replaced at our cost. (with a black door). Otherwise, you can drill out all fo the flow restrictors and the Atwood will work.

4. These simply were not available from Dodge. So we actually had to invent an arm rest that did not exist. Others have done this and have been happy...we even passed this on at our cost, with no mark up at all.

6. The Atwood AC was never designed to work the with AGS that we was available from Xantrex. It was a closed architecture...so it is not as simple as running a wire, regardless of what others have said. It is a mis-understanding on their part. The MAGNUM AGS, has its own temp sensor, so that can be done and is another reason we switched over. The Xantrex needed to tie into the AC Thermostat and they could not communicate. It is not something that we forgot to do, but something that we could not do.

7. I guess that's good?

8. Also good?

9. We didn't actually have one to start.

10. Here is where you lost me? So the inverter failed after the 2 year warranty has expired and somehow WE let you down? If it was something that we did, or know we caused or could have caused, I would gladly step up and help. But this is four months after a two year warranty has expired. I'm not sure how that reflects poorly on us. We changed, not because we had issues with Xantrex...to the contrary, they have been a very good supplier. We changed, simply because the magnum was simpler. It doesn't let you control all the things that the Xantrex does....but we felt that a simpler control would be easier to understand.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:14 AM   #11

Bill's right ... and I certainly don't see any need for the AGS to have anything to do with the Air Conditioner unit itself, as the 120v power controls the unit, not the AGS unit - the AGS only needs the 'TEMP sensor' connection to trigger the AGS to power the Generator. IF the air conditioner is then 'ON', it will come on and power up when 120v power is applied.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Your coach was registered in August of 2016. So you're saying we're not willing to step up to cover a repair on an appliance, that is 16 months past most OEM warranties and 4 months past the already longer than most 2 years warranty?

1. No Nav System: it is available with a module from Ram. That is the Ram stock radio...there is NO GPS that we can offer other than their version and you would pay more for us to have it done than what a Ram dealer would charge you. So we opted not to include it. Others have added the module on this site for far less than my cost and it is still available from the dealer today.

2. On the Ram 5500, they do not offer a camera button. So even when we tried to use the Dodge rear camera, we could not get it to display while driving (only in reverse)...so we did exactly what you did, add a camera...and raised the price.

3. The Atwood worked fine until they did the recall. I'd be happy to see about having Truma install a Truma at our cost with a black door. But the thing is...the price of the Isata 5 also went up a bunch to get that Truma. So you got a really good bargain compared to what an Isata 5 costs today. My offer stands...if you are ever by the Truma facility, I will call in some favors and get the Atwood replaced at our cost. (with a black door). Otherwise, you can drill out all fo the flow restrictors and the Atwood will work.

4. These simply were not available from Dodge. So we actually had to invent an arm rest that did not exist. Others have done this and have been happy...we even passed this on at our cost, with no mark up at all.

6. The Atwood AC was never designed to work the with AGS that we was available from Xantrex. It was a closed architecture...so it is not as simple as running a wire, regardless of what others have said. It is a mis-understanding on their part. The MAGNUM AGS, has its own temp sensor, so that can be done and is another reason we switched over. The Xantrex needed to tie into the AC Thermostat and they could not communicate. It is not something that we forgot to do, but something that we could not do.

7. I guess that's good?

8. Also good?

9. We didn't actually have one to start.

10. Here is where you lost me? So the inverter failed after the 2 year warranty has expired and somehow WE let you down? If it was something that we did, or know we caused or could have caused, I would gladly step up and help. But this is four months after a two year warranty has expired. I'm not sure how that reflects poorly on us. We changed, not because we had issues with Xantrex...to the contrary, they have been a very good supplier. We changed, simply because the magnum was simpler. It doesn't let you control all the things that the Xantrex does....but we felt that a simpler control would be easier to understand.
Brian, thanks for responding. As you can see I've done a few work-arounds to satisfy the problems with my rig as I see them. I truly do love the rig and was feeling really good about it until the inverter failed. I do realize that my warranty has expired and I'm not blaming Dynamax for it failing. But you know what they say. As soon as the warranty runs out problems start to occur. All I want to do is see if I can get the inverter repaired and I've not been able to get any acceptable information from Schneider, so I thought I would give the forum a try. I appologize for the ranting, but it got your attention so I hope you might be able to help me get this thing fixed.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:37 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Really just posting "hey, I'm not getting any luck getting my inverter fixed" gets my attention as well.

When you say, no one is stepping up? Schneider has not given you a dealer to have it looked at? We have not given a dealer to have it looked at? The inverter certainly can be repaired, its just a matter of finding someone to repair it. Some guys I know have pulled the inverter themselves and taken it into a local inverter shop (not RV) and some guys have taken it to an RV dealer who handled all of that. Help me help you...what exactly are you looking for?

Old 12-04-2018, 10:51 AM   #14

You're right, I apologize again. Schneider has not given me a location to get it repaired. I emailed your rep, Brandon Droptiny, and he told me I have to deal with them, not Dynamax. I've since inquired again and they have not responded.

What I need is to find a location to get it repaired in or around Salt Lake City, Utah. The dealer I bought the rig from is 350 miles away. I've already removed the inverter and just need to find a place that is close enough to me to get it repaired. Otherwise I will just have to bite the bullet and order a new one.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:56 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Warranty/Repair Help

On this site, at the bottom there is a customer service link for out of warranty devices.

"For out of warranty products, please contact customer service with the serial number and model of your Xantrex product for replacement options.:
Overview

Toll-Free
(6:30am-4:30pm PST, Mon-Fri) 1-800-670-0707

Old 12-04-2018, 10:57 AM   #16
Commercial Member

And yes...it does suck. If it is not repairable...the 2000 watt is $1300 on Amazon. Not a cheap fix.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:23 AM   #17

Thanks for the info Brian and I have sent them inquiries from their site before. Can you elaborate more about the AGM and Atwood. You're saying I will waste my time running a wire from the AGM Module to the thermostat because they won't communicate with each other? If I purchased a Magnum AGS would that communicate with the rest of the system? Does it need to or is the AGS stand-alone?

Thanks again,
Shawn
Old 12-04-2018, 12:32 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Yes, That is what I am saying. AGS can be stand alone, which is what we started doing for a while We still had the Xantrex inverter, but we were running the Magnum AGS as it had its own temp sensor. I think someone on here has done the exact same thing. The AGS then just wires to the generator.

So, if you have the AC's set to the temp you want. Set the AGS slightly lower...so the gen will fire up and be running for a bit, before the AC's try to engage. I can't remember who did it, but I think it was an M2, not a 5 series...same logic would apply however..

Old 12-06-2018, 01:09 PM   #19
340XL

I added a momentary door bell button to add just water to the toilet
then I can add a small amount and then press both original buttons to flush . much less water waste!
Lenman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenman00 View Post
I added a momentary door bell button to add just water to the toilet

then I can add a small amount and then press both original buttons to flush . much less water waste!

Ingenious fix.

Now if you had a bell or other sound making device on the circuit for entertainment purposes...

Sorry, I know I am bad but I couldn’t resist.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter