Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2017, 07:50 PM   #1
2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4

Xite Infotainment Center questions for Dynamax

I guest these questions are really for BCLEMENS regarding the XSG2-X2S installation in the Isata 3.

1. Does Dynamax use the OEM Mercedes antenna or another brand antenna? If it is another brand, can that antenna be plugged directly into the XSG2-X2s or is an adapter required? No AM reception, just static.

2. Does the XSG2-X2S require a steering wheel control adapter to connect the head unit to the MB smart wheel so that the volume and phone controls will work? The volume and phone controls do not function.

3. Is there an installation manual available for the XSG2-X2S or the factory work instructions about how to install the XSG2-X2S? The user manual is on line but I can't find anything about how the head unit is actually installed or connected. What connects to what?
Spike4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:57 AM   #2
Commercial Member

1. We use the OEM antenna with an adaptor. In many cases it is put up in the A-pillar. others on there have grabbed it out and extended it across the dash and that has helped. I think we're doing the same thing today.

2. Yes. Although we started getting steering wheel controls before we actually had developed a module to work with them. So there may be some out there without a modelule...some 17's before it was really an option.

3. I'll have to check.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
1. We use the OEM antenna with an adaptor. In many cases it is put up in the A-pillar. others on there have grabbed it out and extended it across the dash and that has helped. I think we're doing the same thing today.

2. Yes. Although we started getting steering wheel controls before we actually had developed a module to work with them. So there may be some out there without a modelule...some 17's before it was really an option.

3. I'll have to check.

Brian, #2 Can one purchase this module to make the ones that don’t work now work?
Jlole76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:33 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Looks like the supplier that designed it, made a little "how to" if you wanted to add it later.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf VIM910-041817.pdf (2.36 MB, 91 views)

Old 12-21-2017, 01:09 PM   #5
2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4

bclemens,

"Looks like the supplier that designed it, made a little "how to" if you wanted to add it later."

Excellent. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:33 AM   #6

My steering wheel controls do not work either. Is there anywhere I might check to see if they were just not connected?

Regarding the inop radio, RiverPark told me if the antenna is connected it could be an issue with the antenna ground. Any way to check that?

Thanks,
Dave
caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:47 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Yours could be because it is not our normal radio....so if there are some data changes from the 6" Xite to the 9" Xite. I guess that's why we run a proto.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:25 AM   #8

So is there any fix for the steering wheel controls?
Old 12-22-2017, 09:45 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Until I know what the issue is, I'm not sure what the solution will be.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:24 AM   #10

Have you ever seen the steering wheel controls work on the 9” Xite? Before mine left the factory did they work?
Old 12-22-2017, 10:56 AM   #11
Commercial Member

You were the first and only (to this point) 9" Xite we installed and the software has already been updated as I recall. So we'll have to do some digging.

Old 12-22-2017, 12:17 PM   #12

Yes, the software was the issue with the turn signal/reverse cameras. Real easy fix, just downloaded the new program.

Wondering if software could be the steering wheel controls issue.

It’s really a nice system and worth the effort. When the bugs get worked out it’ll be great.

Dave
Old 12-22-2017, 01:52 PM   #13
Commercial Member

The 9" has different software, so we had to open some things up to get it to work with the steering wheel controls. When River Park sent you new firmware, it likely flashed the software back to stock which made the GPS work, but killed the changes we made to get the steering wheel controls to work. My electrical engineer will reach out to River Park and they'll have to flash new software knowing that both need to work. Not sure how long that will take, but most likely not until after the holidays.

Old 12-22-2017, 02:26 PM   #14

BC is there a fix for mine? My steering wheel controls don't work. I have no am reception at all. Also You removed my nav. module (at my request) because it blinked in and out all the time and made using the radio a real pain. I have a garmin so I use that instead. I can live without the navigation system but I would love to have the steering wheel controls and am radio.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:42 PM   #15
Commercial Member

If I have your serial number correct...it is SGC001560 (VIN 88632)and is a 2017. That serial number is before we started using the steering wheel control module. Instructions for that are listed earlier in this thread (Post #4). You would need to purchase the VIM and have it installed.

There is also a fix for the nav system. If you call River Park and let them know your radio keeps crashing with the NAV SD card, there were known issues due to corrupt cards. They'll just send you a new card. Maybe you won't use it, but would be nice to have for the next owner.

As for AM. that is a discussion we have been having here. The AM reception for these radios is just not good to begin with especially with the antenna location. We are going to test out a internally grounded roof mount antennas that might help, but we're a ways away from any data. AM is just not a priority for most aftermarket radio people. In fact all of our home theater in a box stuff, doesn't even try. They are FM only. So we don't have any suggestions yet, but we have also not dropped it.

Old 12-22-2017, 04:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
The 9" has different software, so we had to open some things up to get it to work with the steering wheel controls. When River Park sent you new firmware, it likely flashed the software back to stock which made the GPS work, but killed the changes we made to get the steering wheel controls to work. My electrical engineer will reach out to River Park and they'll have to flash new software knowing that both need to work. Not sure how long that will take, but most likely not until after the holidays.

Wow, that’ll be great. Thanks BC [emoji41]
Old 01-12-2018, 01:39 AM   #17
2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4

The steering wheel controls work!!!!!

Took the coach into the Dealer to fix the steering wheel control issue. Working with Dynamax, they were able to diagnosis the issues as: wiring issue on the back of the radio and the controller did not have power. The controller had to be reprogramed once the wire and power was resolved.

Still no AM radio. Looks like it needs a antenna amplifier but we will have to wait on that one cus "We're on the road again".
Old 03-01-2018, 09:59 PM   #18

Brian,
I picked up my coach today and on the way home I tried to use the steering wheel controls for the FM radio. I gather that the controls on the right side of the steering wheel are for the Infotainment system. They don't do anything on my coach. As you well know, we had some issues with the original unit. I just drove her home and put it in the barn so I did not have much time to check things out yet. Can you give me any clues to what I can do to troubleshoot. I am very adept with electrical/electronic gizmos and I know how to get inside the area where the Infotainment system is located. Thanks.
By the way, we bought this 24RW sight unseen, and it is awesome!
Magnatudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 06:12 AM   #19

Anyone know where to purchase the vim910 to make my steering wheel controls function?
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:43 AM   #20

Congrats Andy on the new Isata. We spent a month in ours right after Christmas and really enjoyed it. I was surprised how well the downsizing went. You'll have to let us know what you think of your downsizing experience

Regarding the Xite steering wheel controls, I talked to Jimmy at RiverPark this morning. He told me they just completed a software fix for that & he would sent it to me on a flash drive today. You might give them a call (574) 970-2902. He also said they could email the software fix.

We love that Xite screen!

Happy camping.

Dave