Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2018, 11:07 PM   #1

XL King Bed

Unfortunately this is my first FR post and this is NOT intended to be a rant, and I'm Not trying to flame or denigrate Dynamax in anyway. I'm looking for clarification.

Background: I've been tent camping since 1966 and with the DW, and the 2 DDs since 1969. We've been RVng since 1979, and full timing since 1987. We've had popups, slide ins, a TT, 2 class Cs and 1 class A. We bought the 2014 Seneca new in 2013.

Last week we were in Apache Junction, AZ visiting friends, and when we left we decided to stop at Robert Crist RV in Mesa. We were/are looking for a 2019 DynaQuest XL DQ 37BH. They didn't have any year new or used XLs in stock, but they had a used 2016 DX3 TS and a used 2017 DX3 TS. I thought about buying one and ordering a 2019 XL and trading up when it came in. Everything looked fantastic. The paint job is unbelievable. The DW loved the amenities. Then I laid on the bed, what an utter disappointment. I'm 6' 2-1/2" tall, 210 lbs. That's 74-1/2" (189.2 cm) for the mathematically challenged. The mattress is 72" x 75". With my head against the headboard, laying on my stomach or on either side, my size 10-1/2 piggly wigglies were off the end of the bed. Now I don't know anybody who sleeps with their head against the headboard, so I moved down an inch, and as expected, my feet hung further off the bed in all positions, including on my back. I can understand fudging the width, all that does is bring your honey closer to you. But the length, come on, do your designers think that taller people have a removable/replaceable head, my DW would love that, or removable feet/legs like a display mannequin, or do they just design only for short people. And who is the numbnuts who approved this? Is it that glitz overrules practicality? I currently own a 2014 Jayco Seneca 37FS, that I was going to give to the kids, because I'm tired of the Girard hot water heater and the furnace blower noise. I want an Aqua-Hot! The Seneca has a RV king mattress that is 72" x 80", and even its bunk mattresses are 78" long. I know both rigs are the same width, and the Bedroom slide outs are about the same depth, (+/- 2"), so what's the problem. Why a short mattress? For 39 years, every RV I've owned had an 80" long mattress, and even the cots during the last 11 years of tent camping were 76" - 78" long. I'm in a quandary, I can't wrap my head around why a short mattress, especially in a high end rv.

I would like to hear from people who own a DX3 or XL who are 6' -2" or taller as to how they sleep on this bed without their feet being exposed to the elements. Before I drop 3,000+ Benjamins on this purchase I want to be sure I can sleep comfortably. I don't sleep in the prenatal position, and the DW will not permit me to sleep diagonally intruding onto her side, and NO, I'm not sleeping in one of the bunks. Thank you in advance for all practical suggestions.

On a side note, when is the new on line XL brochures coming out. The current online one is dated 2/16. That's coming up on 4 model years. I'm sure something has changed.
Zinkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:07 AM   #2

welcome to the forum it a great place to get your questions answered. for not being a rant sure looks like a rant LOL I really don't see the problem make the deal contingent on the RV dealer installing a longer (fit to your size) mattress or am I missing something?
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:47 AM   #3

I would like to hear on the mattress, too. Both Jayco Seneca and Renegade Valencia have bigger king mattresses. And full or as big as possible king is a must on our next rig. The DX3 mattress seems to measure out barely bigger than the full size, residential queen in our current travel trailer.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:00 AM   #4
Commercial Member

lol, that is a very long post to say, why aren't the mattresses full 80" long.

Short story...for 2019, the XL has gone to a 72x80 bed, (nominal). I think the foam might actually measure 71x79-ish?

Long story to answer your questions...
1. a lot of RV's have traditionally shorted the beds...motorhomes at least. I have been doing this since 2002 and I don't know that I have ever built a true Queen or King sized bed. This will be the first year I am pretty much there. So whoever the numbnuts are...there are lots of them. You must have just been fortunate enough to have mainly 80" beds.

2. In hotels, for whatever reason,(something I have also done a lot of since 2002), I have often slept with my feet off the end of the bed (and I'm only 5'-10 15/32nds). They seem to be short as well...not sure why and not all of them.

3. Typically they are short because there are cabinets opposite the bed. So the bed either needs to go "UNDER" the higher cabinet, or you have to reduce the depth of ALL the cabinets. That seemed to be a decent compromise for a recreational vehicle where you are always looking for more storage. Sacrifice a little bed length to get proper depth storage. It only affects a very small percentage of people and there are some pretty easy fixes to correct that. (I think since 2002, I have had a handful of complaints...let's call it 50 out of thousands)

4. We actually shorted the bed, because we had a fresh water tank in the lower section of that cabinet and couldn't make it longer. This year, we moved the water tank to under the bed, so we could push the lower section in and get a longer bed.

5. In regards to easy fixes. most people have their pillow at the top and don't use the first 3-6". So I know lots of people that just put a foam block up there. When the slide is out, they drop that 6" foam block at the head of the bed, which pushes the mattress down. You don't really notice it. When the slide has to come in, pull the foam out so the slide can close and the mattress goes all the way to the wall.

6. Average height for males in the US is about 5'-10" (70"). So in theory, a 75" mattress is pretty darn close to covering the bulk of our customers.

So...now you have the rest of the story. Lots of reasons why it was done and why there was never a huge sense of urgency to change it. But for 2019 it is.

PS. brochures should be printing this week. Will be online shortly after.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:03 AM   #5

We picked up our 19 XL last month and the mattress size recently changed. It’s 71”x78” now and I found no problem with it. I think with the slides (37rb model), you could even go longer if needed.
mike_soca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:13 PM   #6
Consumer of Space

Short answer to the problem (pun intended)... Slide the mattress a couple of inches away from the headboard. I'm 6'2" and it works for me.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:51 PM   #7
2018 Dynaquest 38TS

You will never find a RV that fits all of your needs. I am 5' 6" and sleep with my feet over the end of the bed, better for my ankle, never use the top of the bed. But when I sit in the driver's seat I cant get it low enough for me. I am going to cut down the swivel this fall to fit my needs, just part of making our XL ours.
DR Quest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, king bed